IGNORED

Benfica (Home)

MikeO

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tight affair at the minute. Not a bad game. Distin would need to watch challenges like that in future. Rodwell is showing hunger to score and win the ball but he needs to work on his end product (both passing and shooting). Howard has been playing well and Yakubu's turn in the first 20 minutes was great - shame he didn't score. The right side is Everton's weak link at the minute.

@Grarghsies - Ken Doherty hosting the show??? What is that all about?? Good to see Gary Kelly on the panel though.

Dearest Phillip,

Please come back. My heart pains without you. The defenses are miserable, there is no coordination and a complacent feeling about the boys. We need you to be our rock in the back once more. I pray the day we will see you on the front lines once more is not far off. The Red (shite) Coats are not far off and without you, well i'll not yet think of that. hurry back.

Most Sincerely yours,

Evertonians everywhere.

Outlined on CH5 how our centre halves are stepping into the man who in turn lays off ball into the space they vacated. To be honest we need replacements for these players: Yobo, Hibbert, Fellaini. Distin will prosper with Jaqs next to him, Benfica are a very good team however.

Pretty dam good Benfica, would they have beaten a team including Arteta, Jags, Pienaar, Saha, Neville, Osman, Anichebe plus a few others!!

The team we did manage to get out just couldn't get going.The Yak should be coming on for 20 min spells at the end of games for his fitness, but then Saha's injured!

Billy needs better players around him, and tonight Gosling, Rodwell and Cahill weren't those players, though Rodwell did have a go.

Fellaini had some nice touches, but not enough!

Defence needs a Carsley type player infront of them, and Hibbert needs direction!!!

Most of the players looked short of confidence.....Hibbert looked really short.

Baines needs Pienaar or Arteta even an inform Billy to draw the best from him, he (Baines)was still our best player tonight.

Easily second best tonight....Credit the Everton players for not playing dead every time they were tackled, can't say the same for Benfica.

I thought Benfica would still be as dangerous tonight and they were. They look very strong and wouldn't be a bad bet to win this thing. It's either that, or Everton are very poor at the minute. There can be no excuses that there were players out of position tonight either - that was a first team of regulars and seasoned professionals - they don't seem to be interested.

I think it's clear that Jo was a poor piece of business too. Moyes would need to start blooding some young players like Baxter and Agard more often, instead of waiting for the injured players to get better. I'm sure some of the youngsters would be a lot more hungry and passionate than Jo (and indeed others!) was tonight. Strangely, for a Brazilian, he seems to have no real flair or technique about him at all.

Howard - 7. For the few good saves he made. I don't think any of the goals were his fault.

Hibbert - 6. Made a few good challenges, but always appears to be a liability.

Distin - 5. Should maybe have scored, but he is a defender; had some dodgy moments

Yobo - 5. Was also slightly dodgy and played countless aimless long balls.

Baines - 6. Got forward well, but his end product from play and set pieces was awful

Gosling - 5. Not looking like a top-flight player to me and tonight he was playing in his favoured position, but still had a poor game.

Rodwell - 5. Despite all the hype, he still has a lot of refining to do in his game. Shows a lot of hunger, but he was giving the ball away too much.

Fellaini - 6. Had a decent first half, but seemed like he was all over the place in the second.

Cahill - 5. Not the performance you expect from a captain. Seems to be demoralised or something at the minute and I hope he can pick it up.

Bilyaletdinov - 6. Had flashes of skill, but unfortunately no real end product. Shocking that he wasted that freekick.

Yakubu - 6. Was strong in the first half but faded in the second.

Jo - 4. Terrible for the time he was on. I don't know what Moyes sees in the man.

Agard - 5. Wasn't really on long enough to make much of an impact in a self-destructive team. Hope to see some more of him this season.

Edited by Noddy