IGNORED

Benfica (Home)

MikeO

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great news on the os..........

Everton (from): Howard, Nash, Hibbert, Distin, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Fellaini, Rodwell, Gosling, Coleman, Jo, Yakubu, Saha, Baxter, Wallace, Akpan, Agard, Duffy.

No peanuts, and according to the blurb that went with that squad list Saha is still carrying his injury (calf strain) and might not play.

Shows all the signs of us having few fireworks bar maybe the odd damp squib........

just noticed as someone mentioned above why no bily...? have i missed something to?

This is the squad that travelled to Liverpool.

Keepers: Quim, Moreira & Júlio César;

Defenders: Maxi Pereira, Sidnei, David Luiz, Luisão & Shaffer;

Midfielders: Javi Garcia, Ramires, Ruben Amorim, Fábio Coentrão, Di María, Felipe Menezes & Pablo Aimar;

Attackers: Nuno Gomes, Weldon, Saviola, Cardozo & Keirrison.

Not great news on the os..........

Everton (from): Howard, Nash, Hibbert, Distin, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Fellaini, Rodwell, Gosling, Coleman, Jo, Yakubu, Saha, Baxter, Wallace, Akpan, Agard, Duffy.

No peanuts, and according to the blurb that went with that squad list Saha is still carrying his injury (calf strain) and might not play.

Shows all the signs of us having few fireworks bar maybe the odd damp squib........

you got a link for it? i cant find this anywhere on the OS...

Whilst it doesnt fill me with joy to see Gosling in the starting line-up, I certainly think he will have a future at Goodison. Its now fairly common knowledge that he is never going to cut it as a RB, but as a RM he might do the job. He is never going to be a world beater, but he can time a run pretty well which not many players possess (sp) especially at a young age. He needs to work on his delivery and definately his speed (I never realised how slow he is until the Benfica game!) because without speed in the PL he wont go very far. He isnt what Id call the future of Everton as that (hopefully) lies with Rodwell but he will certainly have a part to play.

Plus if he doesnt quite cut it after a couple of years development Im sure we will be able to ofload him for a decent profit!

Why no Bilyaletdinov :mellow: ? Him for Gosling surely (unless I've missed something).

Because in the original Saha article he (Bilyaletdinov) wasn't listed! As Marcopaulo pointed out above, either someone at EFC must have made a boob (No change there) or perhaps he was a late inclusion.

I dunno what to make of this one, on the one hand they showed at their place how much quality they've got going forward, especially from their Argentine contingent. On the other, in the first half we looked like two very evenly matched teams, and the second half disaster could be explained away by having two very inexperienced full-backs being given a real roasting by two quality up-and-coming south american wingers (actually Coleman didn't do too bad against Ramires, but i think poor Dan Gosling will probably have nightmares about Angel Di Maria for the rest of his career).

I have a feeling if we really get about them early on they won't fancy it much. I don't care if Hibbo never makes it past the half way line all night, just stand on Di Maria's toes and frighten hell out of him every time ball goes near him. Baines has just gotta be careful he doesn't stray forward and give Ramires space to run into. I hope Yobo and Distin should be good enough to handle Saviola and Cardozo - Cardozo is simply a poacher, mark him carefully enough and you should cut out his threat, Saviola is much classier but again I don't think he'll fancy it much in the cold if we put the boot in a couple of times. Bit concerned about whether Rodwell is experienced enough up against Aimar - we could definitely use Neville in there for that job, it'll be a test for Jack.

Saying all that about defending, i wanna see us go 4-4-2, hopefully with Louis fit to partner the Yak up front, play at a high tempo from the off and give plenty of the ball to the front two. As much as we need the back four to be on top form, I think this will be won in midfield - we need Felli to really step up and turn some promising recent form into a MOM display playing box to box,getting back and defending and also keeping up with play to support the front two. I think we'll have to play Cahill out of position on the right again, which will give us little outlet wide up there, so we're gonna need Bily on top form to give us some width on the left. Not gonna be easy, but I reckon Howard, Hibbo, Distin, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Rodwell, Felli, Billy, Yak, Saha/Jo, 2-1 us, Yak and Bily

I dunno what to make of this one, on the one hand they showed at their place how much quality they've got going forward, especially from their Argentine contingent. On the other, in the first half we looked like two very evenly matched teams, and the second half disaster could be explained away by having two very inexperienced full-backs being given a real roasting by two quality up-and-coming south american wingers (actually Coleman didn't do too bad against Ramires, but i think poor Dan Gosling will probably have nightmares about Angel Di Maria for the rest of his career).

I have a feeling if we really get about them early on they won't fancy it much. I don't care if Hibbo never makes it past the half way line all night, just stand on Di Maria's toes and frighten hell out of him every time ball goes near him. Baines has just gotta be careful he doesn't stray forward and give Ramires space to run into. I hope Yobo and Distin should be good enough to handle Saviola and Cardozo - Cardozo is simply a poacher, mark him carefully enough and you should cut out his threat, Saviola is much classier but again I don't think he'll fancy it much in the cold if we put the boot in a couple of times. Bit concerned about whether Rodwell is experienced enough up against Aimar - we could definitely use Neville in there for that job, it'll be a test for Jack.

Saying all that about defending, i wanna see us go 4-4-2, hopefully with Louis fit to partner the Yak up front, play at a high tempo from the off and give plenty of the ball to the front two. As much as we need the back four to be on top form, I think this will be won in midfield - we need Felli to really step up and turn some promising recent form into a MOM display playing box to box,getting back and defending and also keeping up with play to support the front two. I think we'll have to play Cahill out of position on the right again, which will give us little outlet wide up there, so we're gonna need Bily on top form to give us some width on the left. Not gonna be easy, but I reckon Howard, Hibbo, Distin, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Rodwell, Felli, Billy, Yak, Saha/Jo, 2-1 us, Yak and Bily

Lol So all you want is for Felli to do something he has never ever done before in an Everton shirt?

Might as well go the whole hog and expect Hibbo to get a hatrick!

i might start to feel a little more optimistic:

http://www.evertonfc.com/match/report/0910/everton-v-benfica.html

"Head-to-head

This is the second meeting between the sides in a competitive game after the first a fortnight ago, although we had previously played a pre-season friendly in La Coruna, Spain during July 1987 – the sides drawing 0-0 with Benfica winning 5-3 on penalties.

Everton have never played Portuguese opposition at home in Europe before, while Benfica have an away record of P10 W2 D0 L8 against English opponents. "

anyone a little more relaxed now? i might change my prediction from 0-0 to 1-0 to us!

I feel fairly numb to everything at the moment. Until we start getting any of our stronger and more creative players back. We are crying out for Pienaar's return. Until then I am epecting to struggle in most of our games. There was an impovement against Villa but we are still in desperate need of having some creativity back in the squad.

1-0. Either way tonight.

I'm going for 2-1 to us, Cahill and Yak.

exactly what I was thinking, mates of mine slated me for being negative last time when I said we'd lose 3 or 4 nil, and although I can still see this going either way, the starting line-up should be stronger plus with the home atmosphere I think we can get the 3pts here and go back top of the group COYB!!!!!