IGNORED

Benfica (Home)

MikeO

Lost in the league yesterday so hopefully they won't feel quite so invincible.

Defence will be a lot stronger than in Lisbon (anyone know why Hibbert didn't figure yesterday :huh: ?).

Hopefully we'll go 4-4-2...we need eleven strong players on the pitch and if DM goes 4-5-1 then Gosling will have to play (unless Ossie or Pienaar are fit) and he's not good enough against teams like Benfica.

Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Distin, Baines, Rodwell, Cahill, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, two of Yakubu/Jo/Saha.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be very tough to get a win here and I would 100% take a draw against these boys. With the game against Aston Villa it could give us a confidence boost to maybe sneak that point against Benfica.. who knows? I doubt that we will have a 5-0 defeat again or something along those lines, at home with the crowd it will be a tight game with it finishing all square or Benfica just nicking it.

But lets all be positive, and hope for all three points. 6-0 Everton :lol:

i heard that hibbo had some kind of flu so should be ok for the game on thursday!

i say 3-0 to us yak x 2 and felli

It will be a tight tense match!

I'll be at GP (looking forward to be there), expecting to see that good old Blue vibe!

The result? Well...i sure hope that my Benfica wins, but...lets see.

I think we will start 4-5-1 with Felli off the striker again, or at least I hope. If Pienaar or Osman arent fit I think we will see Gosling on the right and Cahill in the centre with Rodwell. I think the back 4 will pick itself providing Hibbo is fit!

I cant see us getting a clean sheet so 2-1 or 2-2 with Cahill and Rodwell to score. COYB!!

Edited by Bailey

I actually think we will win 2-0

I am hoping that Benfica will come here over confident and be expecting us to roll over as easily as we did over there.

While they did look a decent side I dont think they are anything special . I just thought it was one of those nights when everything went right for them. An example of that was Saviolas first goal that bounced over the keeper, same as the goal they got from the corner were the header bounced over the defender on the line

If Hibbo is back we should at least have a recognised back 4. My only concern is that we havent got any creativeity in midfield without Piennar

I don't know what to make of Bebfica's away form. They where beaten by AEK and they where awful against us. Hopefully the trend of poor travellers will prevail. Although we took a pasting there, we where in the game until those mad 5 minutes after the break, so i think we should not be to down beat. I will stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win for us.

I don't know what to make of Benfica's away form. They where beaten by AEK and they where awful against us. Hopefully the trend of poor travellers will prevail. Although we took a pasting there, we where in the game until those mad 5 minutes after the break, so i think we should not be to down beat. I will stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win for us.

Benfica ??? :mellow: Sorry i dont understand, that does'nt make sense.

I actually think we will win 2-0

I am hoping that Benfica will come here over confident and be expecting us to roll over as easily as we did over there.

While they did look a decent side I dont think they are anything special . I just thought it was one of those nights when everything went right for them. An example of that was Saviolas first goal that bounced over the keeper, same as the goal they got from the corner were the header bounced over the defender on the line

If Hibbo is back we should at least have a recognised back 4. My only concern is that we havent got any creativeity in midfield without Piennar

is Billy suspended for this game? i thought he was available and if so would give us plenty of creativity. would be nice to have Pienaar back too mind...

No, Bily can play :) And i mirror what The Beard has said. We were equal to everything before the mad 5mins, and at home Benfica wont be as attack minded so aslong as we apply pressure on their defense, we should be ok. Having Yobo and Baines back will make a huge difference to the defense and Hibbert likes his tackling, so we shall see DiMaria struggle after Hibbo's first cruncher ;) Baines and Bily will have to work over time though, Bily for singularly being our creative force and Baines being the only one able to over-lap :P I agree with Beard. 2-1 to us, who scores????? im gonna say Yak and Jo :) both in need of a goal.

No, Bily can play :) And i mirror what The Beard has said. We were equal to everything before the mad 5mins, and at home Benfica wont be as attack minded so aslong as we apply pressure on their defense, we should be ok. Having Yobo and Baines back will make a huge difference to the defense and Hibbert likes his tackling, so we shall see DiMaria struggle after Hibbo's first cruncher ;) Baines and Bily will have to work over time though, Bily for singularly being our creative force and Baines being the only one able to over-lap :P I agree with Beard. 2-1 to us, who scores????? im gonna say Yak and Jo :) both in need of a goal.

tis as i thought then... im still going to be boring and say 0-0. a clean sheet is just as important at the moment.

I cant wait for this game! I still have a spare ticket if anyone is interested in going, you would be sitting next to me and my friend in the lower gwladys, smack bang centre of the goal, Row EE best seat int he house!! I was in town on my dinner before and i seen some everton vs benfica scarves they were crap quality though as they were of the market stall, might walk into everton 2 tomorow and see if theres any of those scarves available to buy :) I know you can get them of everton direct but i fear they wouldnt deliver in time for the match, still waiting for my purple kit to be delivered!!! i pre ordered it weeks ago and home delivery network are messing me around big time, but less of that for now.

2-0 to us - Fellaini and Yak

I cant wait for this game! I still have a spare ticket if anyone is interested in going, you would be sitting next to me and my friend in the lower gwladys, smack bang centre of the goal, Row EE best seat int he house!!

Mine just arrived :) . Was a bit concerned with post problems but all is well. Main Stand this time.

Should be able to have a pre-game beer for the first time in a lot of years as I'm not driving and the coach leaves at 12.45 for a 230 mile journey so should have the time.

Seriously excited :P .

Mine just arrived :) . Was a bit concerned with post problems but all is well. Main Stand this time.

Should be able to have a pre-game beer for the first time in a lot of years as I'm not driving and the coach leaves at 12.45 for a 230 mile journey so should have the time.

Seriously excited :P .

Haha thats some mileage mate, i hope its worth it and we get a good result, im in the same boat as you, as im also seriously excited haha, so excited i nearly bought an everton scarf for the first time in my life today haha

is Billy suspended for this game? i thought he was available and if so would give us plenty of creativity. would be nice to have Pienaar back too mind...

I was including Bily in that statement!

I think he has shown some glimpses of what he can do but he hasnt done enough yet for me to consider him a creative force

Not great news on the os..........

Everton (from): Howard, Nash, Hibbert, Distin, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Fellaini, Rodwell, Gosling, Coleman, Jo, Yakubu, Saha, Baxter, Wallace, Akpan, Agard, Duffy.

No peanuts, and according to the blurb that went with that squad list Saha is still carrying his injury (calf strain) and might not play.

Shows all the signs of us having few fireworks bar maybe the odd damp squib........

Edited by iggy

My guess is a 4-4-2 given who is available and that pretty much picks itself.....

Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Distin, Baines, Gosling Rodwell, Fellaini, Cahill, Jo, Yakubu.

Now some of these players have been a bit less than inspiring of late (and I am talking of the midfield especially) and will really have to step up for this one if we are to get anything out of it.

Edited by iggy