IGNORED

Hull City

chicagoblue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good first half display its just a shame we havent scored more goals.

Yak has been very good, its just a shame he cant put the ball in the back of the net! Arteta is looking a lot sharper (minus the early chance!) and Heitinga has been everywhere.

Distin is also havign a very solid game and I am now slowly begining to trust him. We do look dodgy at set plays though which isnt good.

I see people are starting to take shots at Vic as per norm. He was pretty shoddy 1st 20 mins but since then he has looked decent. A good run and ball for our second, and played a lovely pass that Yak should have got a shot away on. Does need to up his work rate more for me though.

Be nice to get a bit of movement in the GD column now :) ....might make all the difference.

(Packed my fantasy team with Everton players this morning because of our run-in....only allowed four transfers though and I did Baines, Pienaar, Yakubu & Heitinga...not Arteta :( )

First ten minutes had me a tad worried, so too did being only one goal ahead of them.

We really could and should have buried them after their decent start.That could have approached double figures today, if the Yak had been sharper/luckier he could have had three himself!

Great play from everyone, one or two (or more) fantastic passing moves.Main man today had to be Arteta, I think we can say he's back!

Gonna sneak in with some player ratings before Mark gets online :lol:

Howard - 7.5 - Good distibution, good save early on, wasn't at fault for the goal which was an incredibly strike by Cairney. Hard to rate him as he wasn't really tested. Hopefully I find it hard to rate him for many games to come! :P

Neville - 7 - Defended well, got forward well, didn't do anything wrong. Was screaming at my telly for him to shoot when he got the ball on the edge of the box those two times. Was pissing myself laughing when Kilbane was one on one with him, can't write that stuff.

Jagielka - 9 - ROCK BASTARD. You'll never beat Jagielka. Completely forgot Hull had strikers for most of the game. I love him in a way that is illegal in some states. :gay:

Distin - 7 - Looked dodgy at some points and class in others. Jagielka more than covered for him for him to attack the ball at every opportunity. A Yobo-esque performance, right down to running the field and nearly scoring.

Baines - 8 - Exactly what we expect from Baines. Was a constant outball for Howard and the deep midfielders and made some good runs in dangerous areas. Defensively solid, no mistakes.

Osman - 7.5 - Neat and tidy while he was on. Nothing spectacular, but no mistakes. Looked good in transition when he was in the middle, lost on the wing when Anichebe moved inside after the counter attack. No suprises there.

Heitinga 9.5 - What a nutter. Disciplined, aggressive, provided a great platform for the rest of the midfield and the forwards to run at Hull. Fantastic holding performance.

Arteta - 10 - Incredible. Arteta at his best. Ran the show from back to front. Incisive passing, always looking for the ball, drove us forward. Always looking for that creative pass to feet in the middle. Performance was epitomised by the second goal where he got the ball from the defence, laid it off for Baines then ran forward and was in the box to finish from a great flick. Brilliant.

Pienaar - 9 - Great perfomance from the South African. Always dangerous, constantly linking the midfield to the fullbacks back to the midfield then to the forwards. Like a buzzing bee, he was everywhere. If Arteta is our creativity then Pienaar is our flair. Great flick for the second.

Anichebe - 8 - Thought he did quite well actually. Held the ball up well, was strong, ran at the defence and actually played some good ball into the box, namely playing the ball into Pienaar for our second.

Yakubu - 8 - Ran hard, made some brilliant runs, pressed the Hull defenders, made some brilliant flicks to play in the midfield and held the ball up very well. A fantastic forward performance only let down by the fact that he couldn't score if he was there all day. Hope it doesn't dishearten him. I was delighted to see a great overall performance from the Yak rather than a goal because I was worried about his attitude during his recovery which rolled over into the ACN. Goals will come.

SUBS:

Donovan - 9 - He misses a sitter against United, a sitter against Spurs and then scores a perfect, laces first drive into the far post? Another great perfomance from Landon, aided by a tired and awful Hull defence. Great goal and unselfishly set up Rodwell for our fifth. SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP.

Rodwell - 8 - Classy on the ball, some good defensive work thrown in there too. Great finish. The kid will be a legend when he's older.

Gosling - 7.5 - Very nearly an 8, confident, always looking to run at Hull, I remember one great flick in particular after which he probably should have hit the return pass first time. Good performance from the Goose, looking more and more promising with each passing game.

I was going to write a bit about the team performance but I think the lads said it all on the pitch. I'm one happy Evertonian tonight.

nice confidence boosting game after 2 duff games.

I was in pub watching with a Hull fan who couldnt' stop slating Hull's defence and I couldn't disagree, attacking wise their not a bad side but defensively it was shocking and we were given so much space to dominate them. What other teams would have Kilbane at Left back, it's no suprise that 3 if not 4 of our goals game game from the right side, only the own goal had nothing to do with that side.

Generally we played very well, Victor a player doubted by all had a decent game, Arteta was back to his very best and great to see him having confidence to hit shots which has often been a problem of his. I think you could see early on he fancied a goal. Pienaar as well worked hard all over and with plenty of confidence as well as Baines who hit some lovely first touch crosses.

All round pleasing display against a team we should be beating.

The Everton we know and love turned up today. Arteta and Jags are back. Baines showed his international credentials, P Nev lead as a Captain should. Rodders was class but I'm worried that we'll get an offer for him that we can't refuse.

With the way we started the game I was a little bit worried tbh, because we looked flat just as we did against Spurs, but credit to the players they really stepped on the gas and steamrolled Hull in the end - if we'd scored 10 goals yesterday it would have been a fairer reflection on how well we played. The threesome of Pienaar, Arteta and Baines is just sublime to watch when it clicks like it did yesterday, it's Arsenal-esque the way they work those triangles in such tight situations. Those three alone tore Hull to shreds, but then add Heitinga, Rodwell, Yakubu into the mix as well because those three were brilliant too. I'm definitely developing some man love for Heitinga, he's fucking brilliant isn't he? I loved how desperate he was to score, I hope he does soon just so we can see how he'd celebrate!

Howard - Made a crucial save from Garcia after a defensive lapse infront of him.

Baines - Had fuck all to do defensively so was left to do what he does best; attack, attack, attack. And didn't he do it well? And his deliveries were a lot better than they've been recently too. His partnership with Pienaar is fucking brilliant; I just love the way they rip the piss out of the opposition, and now they've got Arteta to join in on the fun too.

Jagielka - He's just slotted right back into the swing of things. He's always in the right place at the right time, and yesterday he was bossing Distin and Neville about like he'd been doing it all season. The Rock is back :D.

Distin - He looked better but he still had a couple of frightening moments, and it was him that let Garcia have that opportunity to score I think? We look like conceding in every game he plays in tbh.

Neville - Much, much improved from Pip yesterday. I don't think he was that good defensively though, but going forward he was much better and provided an outlet for us.

Pienaar - IMO for a fair chunk of the first-half I thought he was VERY quiet, but in the second half he was absolutely buzzing and his link-up play with Baines and Arteta was beautiful. I get frustrated with his little flicks sometimes because he does them in stupid positions at times but when they come off, like yesterday, they're beautiful.

Osman - Clearly wasn't fit and never really got into the game before he had to come off IMO.

Arteta - That was comfortably his best game since his return from injury. He just floated around the pitch and took charge of things. He dropped deep to receive the ball, he drove forward with the ball, he tracked back and tackled, he created, he ripped the piss, he scored twice. He was the perfect midfielder. My MOTM.

Heitinga - If you judged his performance solely on just being a midfielder then he was superb. He charged around the pitch like a mad man at times, and I don't mean that in a negative way btw! His energy was brilliant, he got up and down the pitch time after time. However, as a defensive midfielder he didn't do his job well IMO. He got attracted to the ball on too many occasions and left big spaces behind him so the defense wasn't as well protected as it maybe should have been.

Anichebe - He put in a good shift yesterday but he's just not a right winger, at all, and when Donovan came on it showed even more. He had a big hand in our second goal though, and won a few headers :).

Yakubu - I knew we wouldn't score the penalty as soon as I seen it was him taking it :(. That being said, overall I thought he had a really good game. He held the ball up well, he linked up play, and his cross for Arteta's first goal was lovely. If he'd put even one of his chances away he'd be getting talked about in the MOTM thread.

Osman - Clearly wasn't fit and never really got into the game before he had to come off IMO.

Funny how people see things differently....this is from The Independent's match report...

'"He's still improving all the time and he's not even there yet," Moyes said of Arteta, though Leon Osman was the outstanding player before he strained his groin in the course of contributing to Everton's second goal gathering and distributing to Victor Anichebe, whose short ball Steven Pienaar rolled under his studs for Arteta to dispatch. Arteta's first involved Osman too; the midfielder distributing to Yakubu Ayegbeni, whose lofted cross Arteta volleyed into the pitch and over Hull goalkeeper Boaz Myhill.

Had Yakubu shown the same presence of mind in front of goal, it might have been worse for Phil Brown's side, though the Nigerian flashed a left-foot shot against Myhill's left post after Osman had squeezed a ball through..'

Ian Herbert does seem to be pretty much alone in thinking that as far as I can see :) .

I dont know if any of you have read the Daily Mail's write up of the game but I have to say it was shocking and it will probably be the last time I buy that paper.

Iv left it in the car so I can quote it but firstly they only gave Arteta and 8 for his performance yesterday. The guy literally ran the game from start to finish and only gets an 8?! If that was Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney it would have been a 10. They also gave Yakubu and Vic a 5! Yes Yakubu should have done better with his chances but aside from that he was fantastic and Vic put in a very good shift down the right.

To make it worse on one page they are slagging off Yakubu for being laid back, uncommitted and crap yet are hailing Berbatov's performance for Man Utd! Berbatov had a decent game for Man Utd but it certainly wasnt any better than the Yak's and they were praising his 'languid style'. Terrible biased journalism...

With the way we started the game I was a little bit worried tbh, because we looked flat just as we did against Spurs, but credit to the players they really stepped on the gas and steamrolled Hull in the end - if we'd scored 10 goals yesterday it would have been a fairer reflection on how well we played. The threesome of Pienaar, Arteta and Baines is just sublime to watch when it clicks like it did yesterday, it's Arsenal-esque the way they work those triangles in such tight situations. Those three alone tore Hull to shreds, but then add Heitinga, Rodwell, Yakubu into the mix as well because those three were brilliant too. I'm definitely developing some man love for Heitinga, he's fucking brilliant isn't he? I loved how desperate he was to score, I hope he does soon just so we can see how he'd celebrate!

back of the line mate :lol: