IGNORED

Angelo Ogbonna

How many games do you think Jagielka and Stones will play together? Consider that Ogbonna would play in the rest. Plus it would that if either Jagielka or Stones is off-form we'd have a decent player to step in.

For instance last season Distin started 12 and Alcaraz 6 games in the Premier League. That's already 18 games. Stones played 23.. and those two also played 11 matches combined in the cups.

So if Ogbonna played 29 matches next season, would he be just a backup?

Edited by Makis

How many games do you think Jagielka and Stones will play together? Consider that Ogbonna would play in the rest. Plus it would that if either Jagielka or Stones is off-form we'd have a decent player to step in.

For instance last season Distin started 12 and Alcaraz 6 games in the Premier League. That's already 18 games. Stones played 23.. and those two also played 11 matches combined in the cups.

So if Ogbonna played 29 matches next season, would he be just a backup?

fair point. Just concerned that's a large chunk of our budget on a 'back up player'

fair point. Just concerned that's a large chunk of our budget on a 'back up player'

But that's the thing, he wouldn't be. You could say the same about a forward, no point in spending much on striker, because he'd be second choice after Lukaku? Plus Jagielka will be 33 in August.

Given that there is a highly likely chance that one of our two centerbacks will either fall out of form or suffer an injury (at least a minor one) at some point next year, I think it's pretty crucial to have a quality backup. It was a great problem to have from 2011 or so to 2014/15 when we always had 3 quality centerbacks (originally Heitinga, Distin, Jags) and then Stones, Distin, Jags competing for two spots. Think it made sure players played to their best and protected us from injuries.

Again, I think centerback is one of the most crucial positions on the pitch, so we need to be well covered. After signing a quality backup, Martinez needs to determine whether he thinks Galloway/Browning/Pennington would be ready to step in as an emergency 4th choice or if we need to go sign someone for cheap who can be emergency cover.

Can I just say how if there's one player that we've mistakenly let go over the past decade, it would appear that it's Shkodran Mustafi. Never got a look in here and 3 years later is a German national and is now linked with Real Madrid.

Can I just say how if there's one player that we've mistakenly let go over the past decade, it would appear that it's Shkodran Mustafi. Never got a look in here and 3 years later is a German national and is now linked with Real Madrid.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Everton SHOULD have seen the potential though and just loaned him out. He was OK when I saw him so im not surprised he went. He just needed regular, competitive football that we just couldn't guarantee.

But you're right. It was definitely a mistake based on how he is now.

Ogbonna's all but gone to West Ham now, sources claiming Everton were never involved and that it was his agent making noises to bump the deal through (makes sense). However, just makes the Echo look a bit daft though, running faux stories?

Can only imagine it's either;

a) They don't have a clue.

B) They're using it as a smoke screen.

I know which i'd prefer.

But that's the thing, he wouldn't be. You could say the same about a forward, no point in spending much on striker, because he'd be second choice after Lukaku? Plus Jagielka will be 33 in August.

I don't think my '....' got my meaning across. The 'back up' player is going to be 3rd choice. Not said he shouldn't be quality and be able to step in, but he is not likely to be a starter. Jags being 33 is largely irrelevent for me, especially since his new contract will take him until he's 36. He won't get dropped this season, so the only chance our 3rd CB is going to get game time is if he's injured or suspended.

I understand the arguments, they all make sense. But if we're on a limited budget, 8m for a player not likely to start seems steep.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Everton SHOULD have seen the potential though and just loaned him out. He was OK when I saw him so im not surprised he went. He just needed regular, competitive football that we just couldn't guarantee.

But you're right. It was definitely a mistake based on how he is now.

Ogbonna's all but gone to West Ham now, sources claiming Everton were never involved and that it was his agent making noises to bump the deal through (makes sense). However, just makes the Echo look a bit daft though, running faux stories?

Can only imagine it's either;

a) They don't have a clue.

B) They're using it as a smoke screen.

I know which i'd prefer.

Definitely understandable. Some will slip through the cracks.

ToffeeTV (very good source) have claimed both us and West Ham have had a deal in place with Juve since Thursday. Can't really complain if he's choosing them for location - not a lot we can do about that!

Edited by c1982

got to admit they are trying to buy quality good luck to them for that.

It's what we should be doing.

yes and they got a great manager, players would like to play for him i'm sure.

Gold and Sullivan ALWAYS throw money into the pot for transfers. Wish our board were the same

agreed, time for bill and boobie earl to open the checkbooks.

ha and people saying everton were never in, roberto saying we've nothing to do with him. same old story same response, we can't pony up, too skint, and the manager acts like we never wanted them. FFS

This, I think. Was the biggest factor in his decision.

No problem with that. But someone on here posted we were never in for him and said rm said we had nothing to do with him. Obviously not true and egg is now on the face.

Don't understand why he couldn't just be honest and say we were in he wants to live in London, we'll get someone else.