IGNORED

David Bentley

which is why i pointed out that i was talkin about set pieces. We dont get much from the right anyway (hopefully that will change next season with Coleman in RB and/or a right winger being signed) and most of our crosses from the left are Baines (on the overlap nearly all the time or Pienaar).

which is exactly why we need other crossing options

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would you go for?

Keeping Pienaar is my preference. Petrov is preferable over Bentley, even if he is older. Id give Chung-Yong Lee from Bolton ago too, i know he is a right winger, but push Billy over the other side and covered (lets face it, Billy will never get a chance in the middle).

Keeping Pienaar is my preference. Petrov is preferable over Bentley, even if he is older. Id give Chung-Yong Lee from Bolton ago too, i know he is a right winger, but push Billy over the other side and covered (lets face it, Billy will never get a chance in the middle).

What do you think Petrov has over Bentley?

You wouldn't rather have more ability and trust Moyes to straighten out Bentley's attitude?

more ability is questionable, but yes i would trust DM to sort him out. I just dont like him, have always thought he was overrated because he scored 1 or 2 (literally) very impressive goals. Other than that ive not seen what all the fuss is about.

however, i do trust Moyes and seeing as he is 25 (thought he was older to be honest) could be a good thing.

more ability is questionable, but yes i would trust DM to sort him out. I just dont like him, have always thought he was overrated because he scored 1 or 2 (literally) very impressive goals. Other than that ive not seen what all the fuss is about.

however, i do trust Moyes and seeing as he is 25 (thought he was older to be honest) could be a good thing.

I think he does have more ability than Petrov, and he's got time to get even better, whereas Petrov will be on a downward slope now. Personally, I rate him highly for his crossing ability, his goals don't hold much sway with me because that isn't what he's there for, but chipping in with a couple of goals would obviously be welcome. I could see Cahill absolutely thriving off Bentley's crosses.

I think he does have more ability than Petrov, and he's got time to get even better, whereas Petrov will be on a downward slope now. Personally, I rate him highly for his crossing ability, his goals don't hold much sway with me because that isn't what he's there for, but chipping in with a couple of goals would obviously be welcome. I could see Cahill absolutely thriving off Bentley's crosses.

if DM can get Bentley to remove his head from his arse. Still concerned about his wages too, but I will bow to your greater knowledge here. Is he quick?

if DM can get Bentley to remove his head from his arse. Still concerned about his wages too, but I will bow to your greater knowledge here. Is he quick?

His wages probably would be a problem, and with City supposedly interested it more than likely ends any chance of him coming here. Plus, they have European football and we don't. He's not quick, but nor is he a snail.

...with City supposedly interested it more than likely ends any chance of him coming here.

I have it on good authority that City plan to buy every professional footballer in the world, leaving everyone else to recruit from the semi-pro ranks of the Dr Martens Screwfix Nationwide Conference South South East Division Three (and international equivalents).

I personally believe that if they manage it they might just scrape fourth next season (although we'll still beat them twice B):P ).

I agree with this... With Fellaini back, Vic knocking around the box and Saha/Yakubu decent in the air he would probably be a very shrewd signing, although I would prefer it if we could have him and Pienaar in the same team.

This!

got 26 assists in two seasons at blackburn..saying he was good in a poor team then these poor players still managed to score 13 goals a season from his assists so imagine what a player like cahill could do? better than petrov for me although i do like petrov he relies a lot on pace which will go west soon as he is the wrong side of 30...bentley has more natural ability and is one of the best crossers in the league for me and i would love to see him here! still managed a couple of goals and a few assists mainly as a sub for spurs last season too!

oooh Spidey, this is the one tim ei haven't agreed with you my friend. You can't teach natural talent but you can alter attitude. For that reason Bentley over Petrov anyday of the week. DM could do wonders with Bentley :) his crossing can land on a sixpence. His natural ability with the ball is second to none, he (as Mike said) is behind Lennon in the pecking order and look at how dependant they are on his pace???

How about we cover our asses and go in for both? I mean Petrov is on a free and his wages can't be ridiculous. It'd be great to sign a first teamer (Bentley) and a back-up. I've resigned to the fact that Pienaar will be gone and I'd be content to see these two as his replacements. That and Donovan or Reyes.

I dunno it's a bit cagey, Bentley only broke into the team at Spurs in a few cup games, Redknapp preferred Bale in midfield and Kranjcar on the right to having Bentley involved, so he wasn't so much 2nd choice as last. That being said I can't believe how anyone on here could doubt his ability. Paired with someone like Coleman overlapping we would have a natural balance of pace and aggresion, quality and end product. If Pienaar did go to Spurs I wouldn't be that concerned, and Bentley coming our way would give us a natural right-sided midfielder, something I am desperate to see at our club as we just don't have one apart from Gosling.

Personally though, I'd prefer to outright sell Pienaar and get Ben Arfa, or another talented young winger on our side. All the teams that finished above us have decent wingers, sometimes 3 or 4, and that adds power and pace to your attacking line. Our lack of it on the wings is devastating sometimes, as we have noone tracking back. Donovan is another one we could lump in for were we to sell him outright, but I think a smarter move would be to hold onto Pienaar and loan Donovan in January.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...