IGNORED

The Odd News Thread

Louis

Took me a while, but I got it too.. only because I've had old issues of the Beano where the price of it was written with a "d". I have no idea what the "d" is short for though. I imagine the change confused many people in the 70s. It's bad enough for me knowing metric, ordering £2s worth of sausages in the butchers and having to specify I mean £2 in money and not 2lb. :)

Louis

You wouldn't have had the problem over £2/2lb of sausages at the time of currency conversion to decimal. £2 of sausages in those days would have filled the boot of your car!

Took me a while, but I got it too.. only because I've had old issues of the Beano where the price of it was written with a "d". I have no idea what the "d" is short for though. I imagine the change confused many people in the 70s. It's bad enough for me knowing metric, ordering £2s worth of sausages in the butchers and having to specify I mean £2 in money and not 2lb. :)

It used to be £/s/d (Pounds shillings and pence I think the d stood for dinari (Latin) )

12 d = 1 shilling (1/-)

20 shillings = £1

(960 farthings = £1 by the way)

Change did confuse many people....I can remember going to the sweet shop the day it changes and getting new pennies. There were loads of TV ads trying to explain things, musical jingle saying, "....use your old coppers in sixpenny lots..." stuck in my head.....that was because the "conversion" rate meant that 6d (sixpence) was equivalent to 21/2p (or "new pence" as everyone called it).

Older people hated it and many shops and (particularly) market stalls kept pricing stuff in "old" money for years.

The strangeness of Devon.....was driving into Tiverton to do some shopping yesterday but the road was closed due to an accident. Well known local character witnessed it and gave an in depth interview.....and him and the interviewer talked about how two dogs had been affected. Forget the humans :lol:. Road was closed for about seven hours!

http://www.middevongazette.co.uk/VIDEO-Traveller-describes-seeing-car-flying-air/story-21147344-detail/story.html

_58242633_breaking-news-624x351.jpg

Football Association will not bid for 2019 Women's World Cup in England

There will be no bid to stage the 2019 women's World Cup in England, the Football Association has announced.

In other breaking news; nobody invaded Poland today, Tesco didn't announce any quarterly results, nobody developed a cure for the common cold and the world didn't explode!

I know dog lovers will be outraged, and I would've been had it happened to one of my pets (in the past, don't have any now), but I've got to admit this made me laugh. Sorry, couldn't help it :unsure:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28093304

Does that make me a bad person? It's just the absurdity of it and, "...mistakes do happen." Good job the vet didn't train as a doctor.

I know dog lovers will be outraged, and I would've been had it happened to one of my pets (in the past, don't have any now), but I've got to admit this made me laugh. Sorry, couldn't help it :unsure:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28093304

Does that make me a bad person? It's just the absurdity of it and, "...mistakes do happen." Good job the vet didn't train as a doctor.

As a dog owner/lover, I would be crushed if this happened!

As a dog owner/lover, I would be crushed if this happened!

I think it's more the way it's reported (owner with a daft haircut in photographer arranged pose with picture of dog by grave) that made me laugh. Can understand anyone would be crushed, but I just couldn't help myself.

I think it's more the way it's reported (owner with a daft haircut in photographer arranged pose with picture of dog by grave) that made me laugh. Can understand anyone would be crushed, but I just couldn't help myself.

YOU HAVE NO SOUL. :shaking fist:

But yeah, it's all a bit cheesy, honestly.