IGNORED

Eric Dier

United did well to get that for him. He's a great footballer but a poor defender.

Apparently this lad can play - just a bit young at the moment. Moyes is traditionally very cautious with defenders, goes for experience all the way (Hibbert centre half instead of Duffy for example) - Baines couldn't get a look in for ages whilst Lescott was a perm fixture.

So yeah, in a way he probably needs to develop elsewhere.

Apparently this lad can play - just a bit young at the moment. Moyes is traditionally very cautious with defenders, goes for experience all the way (Hibbert centre half instead of Duffy for example) - Baines couldn't get a look in for ages whilst Lescott was a perm fixture.

So yeah, in a way he probably needs to develop elsewhere.

Hibbert played well CB in the 2 games he played (that i can remember) and Lescott was playing well too, dont think we can criticize for that. Im more thinking that weve had promising youngsters, defenders like Mustafi, who were very promising and didnt make it. Plus, weve got no money and we cant afford to pay nominal fees for potential youngsters.

• 4 months later...

He's been very highly rated at Sporting for a while now, glad to see him finally getting a chance in the first team. About time, their defending has been a joke.

Shame we couldn't keep him, but perhaps having been at Everton once he would like to come back here in the future. Might give us an advantage over other English clubs. If we go in for him that is.

• 2 weeks later...

What about our academy wide players? Any rough diamonds?

I had been hoping Orenuga would come through but he was released after suffering from a lot of inuries :(. The only wide player I can think of now is that Matthew Kennedy, but as you know, we've only had him since January so it's hard to tell with him just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

He's played quite a lot for them in the last couple of months. He's been starting for them as a centre back and many Sporting fans are very impressed and are even saying that he's the best central defender in their squad. I've seen him a couple of times and he's definitely looked very, very promising.

Apparently he's under contract with them until 2016... If only we can bring him back at some point. Would probably need to be soon, otherwise his asking price will only go up.

I hope Portugal call him up at some point and he accepts the call up as he might become the leader we've been missing in defence. He'll probably want to play for England though.

That was such a strange signing, loaning a player to help develop him for another club and never even intending to play him is near unheard of.

Its also weird that he barely (if ever) even made the bench for our first team yet this season he is good enough to start for Sporting!

To be fair, although he was always seen as a very good prospect at Sporting, I don't think it was in their plans to have him play an important role for them this season. Sporting have been in turmoil for a while now though with some terrible results this season on the pitch, and some serious financial problems, so they've resorted to playing some of their promising youngsters. A bit like Dortmund a few years ago.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

He seems like a decent player but if he goes to Chelsea he won't get into the first team so will basically be running down his contract...I think that he should stay at his current club and get a few more games under his belt.

I think he should come back here!

A bright young player who slips through our fingers because of not being given a chance... yes i'm not saying play him ahead of Distin or Jags, but surely when we played lower league teams in cups and had a commanding lead, the odd 15 minutes would have encouraged him...

We had the option to buy a part ownership for him, i'm sure he was the type of defender that Roberto would have loved, a ball playing technical player.

A bright young player who slips through our fingers because of not being given a chance... yes i'm not saying play him ahead of Distin or Jags, but surely when we played lower league teams in cups and had a commanding lead, the odd 15 minutes would have encouraged him...

We had the option to buy a part ownership for him, i'm sure he was the type of defender that Roberto would have loved, a ball playing technical player.

He could only play for our youth team couldn't he?

He could only play for our youth team couldn't he?

Rooney was a youth team player when he made his debut, he wasn't on a pro contract. It is allowed, I guess it depends on how Lisbon specified the terms - but why wouldn't they want him getting the best experience.

Totally wierd deal.

who says we wont still get him?