IGNORED

Has Moyes Achieved All He Can With Everton?

Article I came across today:

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/02/premiership/why-david-moyes-must-leave-everton

Personally I think Moyes could still achieve more with Everton, but I definitely think something needs to change behind the scenes, be it a new owner or fresh investment, for him to do that. I'm going to hate the day when Moyes leaves Everton, but unless our financial situation gets much, much better in the very near future, I'm afraid that day is going to be sooner rather than later.

I agree with american evertonian, I think I change behind the scenes will allow moyes to move us forward

Thats all good, as long as the investment we are constantly promised actually turns up!! To try and be positive Moyes must be privvy to something as i believe he wouldve walked in January otherwise!

Thats all good, as long as the investment we are constantly promised actually turns up!! To try and be positive Moyes must be privvy to something as i believe he wouldve walked in January otherwise!

agree with you there. there have been more than a few times this season when i would not have blamed moyes for walking. the man has incredible patience but i fear that the board can't be so underwhelming in their financial support of moyes for much longer or else that patience will completely snap. the time from now until may or june is going to be crucial in determining the future of Everton

Moyes will go in the summer, however, anyone who believes he has taken us as far as he can is talking shit. He still is yet to win a trophy with Everton.

And I don't believe he's good enough to get us a trophy, so yes I do think he's achieved all he can with us.

That being said, I don't want to lose him either because I don't think we could attract any one who could do a better job than him.

yeah Moyes HAS past his sell by date as far as im concerned, but because of the current situation at the club, who would want to take up the managers role if he left? sure i can think of 4-5 people who would do a better job than Moyes, but they are not going to touch us with a barge pole at the moment

Edited by theprisoner

I can think of 65,000 reasons why moyes did not walk in January. He is the highest paid premier league manager not to have won a domestic managerial honour (I am including Mancini's honours at Inter here)

That aside I do also believe that he would not leave the club in risk of relegation if he was the person who in effect would have taken us from top half to relegation candidates.

There is a big part of me that says we do not need to throw the baby out with the bath water. The bath water being the current board...

What manager would have worked better under the constraints that Moyes has done?

I am by no means saying he is perfect, far from it in fact. To truly understand Moyes as a manager we need to give him the opportunity to sign a few big names. Granted, his record in some aspects has been poor - Billy, Kroldrup, Wright. Tell me a manager who hasn't.

For him to truly make the progress we want to see we need to see him expeand and develop his tactical awareness - it is clearly his biggest downfall, he is negative by nature and I feel the players in general have had the safety first mind set drummed into them, it is very rare that we see them express themselves - even when Moyes decides the time has come in the game to go for it.

Let's just hope and see that a buyer is indeed on the horizon, a new stadium/development project, debt free and a transfer kitty may the lift that some of the people within the club need to break this staleness that appears to have clouded many - including the fans.

9 years and still no trophy is in all honesty disappointing, I mean Steve Mclaren even won a trophy! Leicester City won 2 cups! Joe Royle won the FA Cup with a squad far less superior to David's.

Its a long time to wait under Moyes for silverware and I honestly think he's running out of ideas. I like Moyes a lot but I can see in his eyes he wants money, he wants an even playing field and maybe when clubs have to finance themselves in a few seasons he may then show his true worth.

I have been told we have 2 billionaires on the board who don't cough up. why?

We are getting left behind here and its very sad but people...you have to have bad times to appreciate the good.

Our time will come.

WE NEED INVESTORS!!!!!

For him to truly make the progress we want to see we need to see him expeand and develop his tactical awareness - it is clearly his biggest downfall, he is negative by nature and I feel the players in general have had the safety first mind set drummed into them, it is very rare that we see them express themselves - even when Moyes decides the time has come in the game to go for it.

This is it for me... When they really go at teams we are brilliant but time and time again we sit back and let teams attack us.

I dont buy all this Moyes must be pissed off with no funds etc mainly because he knew EXACTLY what he was getting into when he signed his contract last season. He has a team capable of mixing it with the teams at the top of the league and it is down to him (and the players) for us not achieving what should be expected. There are certainly managers out there who could do a better job with this squad, but whether there are managers out there who could do a better job developing the squad with the funds we have, Im not so sure.

I dont want him to go but I want to slap that dour expression off his face and get that fire back in his eyes. He needs to stop tinkering and go back to the basis of what has ALREADY worked this season.

This is it for me... When they really go at teams we are brilliant but time and time again we sit back and let teams attack us.

I dont buy all this Moyes must be pissed off with no funds etc mainly because he knew EXACTLY what he was getting into when he signed his contract last season. He has a team capable of mixing it with the teams at the top of the league and it is down to him (and the players) for us not achieving what should be expected. There are certainly managers out there who could do a better job with this squad, but whether there are managers out there who could do a better job developing the squad with the funds we have, Im not so sure.

I dont want him to go but I want to slap that dour expression off his face and get that fire back in his eyes. He needs to stop tinkering and go back to the basis of what has ALREADY worked this season.

What is that then as I am at a loss? I would like to see him adopt the Ian Hollaway approach (certainly against the so called lesser teams) and attack them, we can attack and play good football but i would like to see us do this from the word go and not when its to late.

What is that then as I am at a loss? I would like to see him adopt the Ian Hollaway approach (certainly against the so called lesser teams) and attack them, we can attack and play good football but i would like to see us do this from the word go and not when its to late.

Like we did after we conceeded at Blackpool or the first half of the Liverpool (home) game. There are probably some other examples of parts of games where we did well, but the same applies to our best games last season.

We pressed high up the pitch, we stopped them from getting forward, we played the ball forward a lot quicker (and just generally played at a higher tempo) and we looked to get people to run in behind the opposition back four.

One thing that goes relatively unnoticed about Barcelona is how high up the pitch they press, and the fact they hunt in packs. Its not just one person strolling to the opposition player (or backing off) like us, they tear into them and try and get the ball back as soon as they can. Thats exactly what we did in the two aforementioned games when we had our tails up but unfortunately its the only time.

Yeah lets play kamikaze football right in to the Championship!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/881312/hubbard:-seeds-of-doubt-over-david-moyes'-everton-future?cc=5901

another article saying it's time for moyes to leave.

what do you all think? do you agree that the moyes era feels like it's coming to an end?

if yes, where do you think we should go from here?

if no, what do you think needs to be changed to get our long term plan back on track?

personally, i see it two ways:

1) kenwright sells/we get significant investment so that we can refresh the squad we have. moyes stays, essentially just get rid of the dead weight players and combine giving rodwell, gueye and coleman more central roles with bringing in some proven quality

2) kenwright keeps the club, moyes walks, bring in a new manager, we sell one or two of the biggest players (fellaini, rodwell, etc.) and reinvest that in young players while also getting rid of/phasing out some of the older players (neville, distin, saha, cahill) while also getting rid of the deadweight (bily, heitinga). this would essentially put us into a "rebuilding" stage where it would be at least several years before we get back to where we were two seasons ago (imo we've regressed from the level we were at two years ago)

i can't see moyes staying through the summer if we don't get any significant investment. all his body language and words give the impression that he's fed up with everything he's had to deal with here.

What do you all think?

One thing that goes relatively unnoticed about Barcelona is how high up the pitch they press, and the fact they hunt in packs. Its not just one person strolling to the opposition player (or backing off) like us, they tear into them and try and get the ball back as soon as they can.

Couldn't agree more. While watching the Arsenal v Barca game I was struck mostly by the way both teams approached the game. Attack and defence, they were wholehearted. The midfielders were running at people, upsetting them and making space for others alongside. This is not because they have better players - all teams can play that way if they are coached to do so. My biggest problem with Moyes is that I don't think he knows how to do it! Backpedalling, too afraid to make mistakes, shot-shy footballers don't win games.

The team needs to get out there and shake off the shackles and play free-flowing football (not necassarily 'sexy football').

If Moyes can't do it (and I don't think he can change his mind-set) he should go.

Hellfire, any other manager in the Prem with his record (such as it is) would have gone 2 years ago. Living on borrowed time, I think.

Couldn't agree more. While watching the Arsenal v Barca game I was struck mostly by the way both teams approached the game. Attack and defence, they were wholehearted. The midfielders were running at people, upsetting them and making space for others alongside. This is not because they have better players - all teams can play that way if they are coached to do so. My biggest problem with Moyes is that I don't think he knows how to do it! Backpedalling, too afraid to make mistakes, shot-shy footballers don't win games.

The team needs to get out there and shake off the shackles and play free-flowing football (not necassarily 'sexy football').

If Moyes can't do it (and I don't think he can change his mind-set) he should go.

Hellfire, any other manager in the Prem with his record (such as it is) would have gone 2 years ago. Living on borrowed time, I think.

On his way to a 5th place finish, an FA Cup Final and another LMA manager of the year 2 years ago, should have definitely gone :blink:

This is the thing that pisses me off most about Moyes, because we have played like that to an extent. Against Arsenal in the snow last season we pressed them so well that they couldnt handle it (until we dropped off towards the end) and the same can be said to a lesser extent in the Man Utd and Chelsea home games last season. In teh Liverpool home match this season we had Arteta, Osman, Cahill and sometimes Heitinga all pressing the ball in the opposition half.

Im not talking about jogging to them, letting them pass, then jogging to the next guy. Im talking about not giving them any time to think about what they are going to do. Barca and to a lesser extent Arsneal jumped all over whoever had the ball. At times Barca had 3-4 guys all on Fabregas as soon as the ball went anywhere near him. Yes it comes with risks, especially against good technical teams with great movement but for 90% of Premier League matches you would scare the shit out of them.

This is really a hard question to answer tbh. Hes done us a great job all these years. Grab a player there and another from there, found couple of gems, and made good business for the club. We have got 4th in prem and get to FA-cup final. We had awesome run in Uefa-cup couple seasons ago(thought seriously were going to win it). No silverware, but before this and last season, it really looked our bus is going forward, not on the highway yet, small steps, season by season. This season has been the first we havent gone forward imo, we did start same squad than earlier, missing couple lads for long term injury, losin only Dan to north. No money for transfers, only Becks in for free.

Moyes positive:

-He has done great job without actually no money for years

-You dont get several MOM prizes without reason

-Hes turned couple of gems into a good profit for club

-He seems to have good relationship with board

-95% of fans love him (not fact, my own thoughts ;) )

-He has bought us really young squad, players who are still developing all the time.

-Prolly missing a lot of good atm, but yes my brains aint working correctly, ill add more when ill get out of black hole

Moyes negative

-He seems to have problems to adjust changes in his tactics, even we have seen 442 this season couple of times

-He has to be quite a dictator behind the scenes, thats the only reason why i think some players just cant get their chances

-He has some favourite players, whos position in starting 11 aint questioned, even it seriously should be

-He has some problems to see what would be best to change in the middle of the games, too many changes(and weird ones) happen too late in game that those would effect to result

-He does seem to have bit too defensive manner on his tactic choices overally

-European reputation aint good even that 1 bright season

-

This post might sound negative, but i think, when he would get "out of the box" and get courage to do some attacking desicions he would bring us far. I wouldnt want to see us same kind of arrogant moneyspenders mancs have been, i would be happy just to see us without debts, and fair amount to spend to every season. And i mean amount of 10-20M per season. 2-3 fresh faces in and so on. Then we would really see has he already achieved everything he can with us, or how much of silverware we could see us grabbing

Thats a shite article imo. It doesnt really address what most people critise Moyes for and identifies only reasons that the heretics believe. Like one of the comments states, we never looked like scoring and had Baines not scored that free kick would be writing such an article? Would he fuck...

Moyes might well be one of the brightest young managers in the game but generally speaking bright people dont make the same mistakes over and over again, season after season.

I dont want to sound Anti-Moyes because Im not, but he isnt a 'Moyesiah' and articles like this that claim him to be such are piss poor and makes me wonder whether he has in fact watched any of our games this season. Moyes needs to improve and show that he can actually adapt instead of reverting to the same stubborn set up each time. I sincerly hope and believe he can although this season its waivered more than before.

Like one of the comments states, we never looked like scoring and had Baines not scored that free kick would he be writing such an article? Would he fuck...

Moyes might well be one of the brightest young managers in the game but generally speaking bright people dont make the same mistakes over and over again, season after season.

How long will Moyes be regarded a bright young manager? He's been our manager for over 9yrs now!!!