IGNORED

Newcastle (A)

MikeO

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of quality, that game was shocking. Both teams were all over the place, at times I thought I was watching an under 11's game in my local park.

We set up fairly averagely, Neville and Rodwell were anonymous throughout and we continually bypassed them. It annoys me that they kept dropping so deep as it wasnt necessary and it just meant gaps appeared all over the place. IMO we either need someone to play in the holding role, just in front of the defence consistently or we need to reduce the space between the CB's and CM's because at the moment we have CB's who dont know whether to follow a striker pulling short and the CM's dont know whether to follow a midfielder making a run forward. All over the shop.

I also cant believe we didnt manage to score a 3rd. Between Arteta, Coleman, Saha and Vic they could have had a couple each. It really was a poor way to finish.

Best player was Arteta and he did well on the left. However, I wouldnt get too excited about this performance, mainly because of the amount of space he was given. When he got on the ball he looked good and if we can keep getting him on the ball then thats great but against much more disciplined teams he wont be involved half as much.

As for the rest of them...

Howard had a shocker for their goal and looked shaky when a good ball was delivered in the 6 yard box.

Baines was solid. Absolute class ball for our 2nd.

Jags & Distin were terrible as a pair. No idea at times.

Hibbert did a pretty good job, kept their LW quiet but didnt offer anything going forward.

Osman had a good first half but faded as it went on. Should have come off 10-15mins earlier in my eyes as he was lagging.

Rodwell never got in the game. He didnt necesserily have a bad game but he was barely ever on the ball as he was so deep.

Neville was pretty much the same as Rodwell, only he looked a little mroe out of place. He went of clutching his hamstring and it didnt look good so I imagine that will be another 3-4 weeks he is out for.

Arteta as mentioned above was Motm. I still think he is capable of doing the same thing from the centre of midfield, after all he cut in so often that he played like a CM at times.

Beckford was poor first half, but looked livelier second. Unless he had a knock he shouldnt have come off so early.

Saha was also very good. He tired as it went on aswell but he did a very good job for the team but should have at least come away with a goal.

Heitinga did a decent job. I dont quite comprehend what he does sometimes but he was defensively solid and he always looked to push out and stop sitting so deep.

Vic looked tired before he came on. He wasted a couple fo chances (as did others) but also created a couple (more by luck than actual judgement tbh).

Coleman was bright but again should have scored.

Roll on the next game but if we play like that again we will get mauled.

Vic looked tired before he came on. He wasted a couple fo chances (as did others) but also created a couple (more by luck than actual judgement tbh).

Coleman was bright but again should have scored.

"Vic looked tired before he came on" :lol: . It's hard work hauling yourself off that bench :rolleyes: .

Coleman, particularly with the last chance, I was screaming at to take it into the corner rather than shoot...but I was pleased the late rearguard wasn't as squeeky as normal.

so even when vic does summat right it's luck rather than a well played ball across the box?

If he had looked up and picked him out or swung on across the 6 yard box then yes, but he had his head down and scuffed it into the middle. I dont mind Vic but to claim it as something else would be wrong.

Of course it is for some odd reason we need a scape goat even when we win ffs?? Unbelivable isnt it haha

he played the ball into the middle which is where it is meant to be played

Are you both being serious?

Baring in mind I have stuck up for Vic whenever he has been harshly targetted, he had no intention of trying to put the ball where he did, or even to try and pick out a man with that ball. He scuffed it, it founds its weak bobbling way to Saha who probably should have scored (or at least on target). The fact is, he did well to get to the byline, then made a hash of the ball. There is no way he meant it come out like that and if you think otherwise you should get a clearer stream!

Baring in mind I have stuck up for Vic whenever he has been harshly targetted, he had no intention of trying to put the ball where he did, or even to try and pick out a man with that ball. He scuffed it, it founds its weak bobbling way to Saha who probably should have scored (or at least on target). The fact is, he did well to get to the byline, then made a hash of the ball. There is no way he meant it come out like that and if you think otherwise you should get a clearer stream!

What im getting at is we go and win at a ground were we havent for 10 years play well and STILL PICK FAULT! Im just glad we won and as i pointed out earlier beat Brum Tuesday and a little favour from the Mancs and were level with the red shite!

i'm on about the ball to coleman..he played it across the area for coleman to rush on to

The amount of space we give to the opposition is still a major worry for me. You could have put a 747 in the space we left for the barcodes to play in at times, and a better side would have majorly punished us that. I don't really understand why we do it tbh, we were always good at pressurising the opposition in the past, maybe we just think we're too good for that now? Also, once again, on the whole the defence looked shambolic and looked like they'd never played together at times. Although, when we were being bombarded toward the end we looked solid :blink: and they actually helped us to be able to break away and we should have at least got another goal because of that.

We started the game really well and then they went and got their goal due to sloppy defending, again. Hibbert was initially at fault, and then Baines was completely daydreaming at the back post so he needs to take responsibility as well. Was Howard at fault for it? I've got to admit I didn't pay attention to the replays through disgust so I didn't know if Howard had flapped at the ball or whether it reached Best through a deflection off one of our defenders. After they scored the players heads went down and we struggled to impose ourselves on the game for a while and we looked shaky. We finally found our feet again and Arteta did what we've all been willing him to do all season and drive at the oppositions defence, and by doing that he got himself another assist by setting Osman up perfectly. Then shortly after Baines put in an absolutely sublime ball for Jags. That just oozed quality, it was too shallow for the keeper to come for but too deep for their defenders to get near. Perfection. In the second half even though Newcastle had plenty of the ball we thankfully didn't have too many scares and we dealt with them very well.

Even though the defence still looks very rocky the midfield at least looks a lot more balanced with it's current positional changes. Also, it feels extremely good to come back from behind in a game and win.

I've said this so many times this season but we've got to follow this up with another victory on Wednesday or this will have all been for nothing. COYB!

Howard - Like I said, I don't know if he flapped at the shot for their goal or not so I'm not going to comment on that. I've got to disagree with Bailey on one bit though, I thought Howard dealt really well with all the high balls that came in. I usually worry about him with them because he's been uncertain but I thought he was a commanding influence.

Hibbert - I was very worried when I seen Hibbert was playing because he was never going to be match fit. I was right to be worried tbh. I thought apart from a couple of good challenges he was all over the place and he was out of position so many times it was unbelievable. Jagielka spent more time in the RB slot than he did! God knows where his head was at for their goal as well. Hopefully he'll get better with matches because it looks like he'll be playing til the end of the season.

Jagielka - I thought he was the better of our CB's today while not being brilliant himself. He covered for Hibbert a lot so maybe that's why he didn't have a better game, I don't know. Nice to see him get a goal.

Distin - He was OK, but I don't think I've seen a worse CB at heading the ball (apart from Kroldrup of course!). He is a true 50p head, the ball could literally go anywhere when he heads it :unsure:. He more than made up for it toward the end with some brilliant stops when Newcastle looked like they might break through for another equaliser.

Baines - Totally fucked up for the goal by daydreaming at the back post when he should have been watching the Newcastle forward player. But his world class ball for Jagielka to put us 2-1 up made up for that lapse in concentration for me :P.

Osman - I thought he had a really good game on the whole. He left Baines a little isolated at times due to drifting inside but he was always bringing the ball forward for us and more often than not picked the right pass to make every time. Took his goal really well too.

Rodwell - I'm going to have disagree with Bailey again. I don't think Rodwell was anonymous at all but put in a really disciplined performance from start to finish. That's something I wasn't sure he had in his locker but he proved, to me at least, that he does. He just sat in midfield without making too many forays forward, got the ball and used his array of passing to get us moving.

Neville - I thought he had a fairly good game and he was another player who had to cover for Hibbert at times so it's no wonder some think he sat a little too deep. He had to.

Arteta - It's amazing what have more space did for Arteta. He looked so much more confident and his willingness to take on his man increased tenfold. He was always looking to go forward with the ball and he wasn't looking always looking to give the ball to someone else but actually wanted to make things happen for us himself. This was highlighted by his run to set up Ossie for our equaliser, it was brilliant solo work from him. It was like having a new player. A confident Arteta can propel us up the league almost single handedly.

Saha - I don't like how deep he plays when he should be so much further up the field but I did think he had a fairly good game for us and held the ball up well when he was asked to.

Beckford - I thought he had a terrible first half, he was really bad. Everything bounced off him. He did cause their defence problems in the second half with his pace when they were looking to push up and get another equaliser, and we maybe should have taken more advantage of that.

If i would have to give a review of the game it would be a mix of Romey and Bailey:

Howard - Romeys

Baines - Romeys

Distin & Jags - Bailey

Ossie - Romey

Rodwell - Bailey. Rodwell was useless today, I forgot he was playing most of the time.

Nev - Bailey. Same as Rodwell except was more aware because he crunched one or 2 of them.

Arteta - Both. Must be said, he has played his best one the wing running at people.

Becks and Saha - both, though Saha shouldve had another hattrick, missed too many for me today.

Johnny - Neither. He cannot pass from the midfield and was lucky with one or 2 of his challenges. That said, his booking was again a joke.

Coleman - Think Bailey might be a little harsh here, he got into more goal scoring opportunities than the strikers and his 1 real chance was a good save from their keeper.

Also, this ongoing defence of Vic though is bewildering. He is a striker, ie the player at the top of the field who gets goals (7 in 84 appearances now, sub or not thats shocking...). He got into the box so many times and just hit across the line HOPING someone got there. He has no skill, apparently no sense of when to shoot or where the goal is and was lucky not to get himself sent off. Please, try and bullet point the arguments against what a complete and utter waste of space he is. Im not seeing him as a scapegoat, i just think hes crap and always have. Unfortunately he has never proven me wrong.

What im getting at is we go and win at a ground were we havent for 10 years play well and STILL PICK FAULT! Im just glad we won and as i pointed out earlier beat Brum Tuesday and a little favour from the Mancs and were level with the red shite!

I like to think I give credit where it is due, and today we werent goo by any stretch of the imagination. We were poor at the back and Newcastle made us look better than we did going forward.

i'm on about the ball to coleman..he played it across the area for coleman to rush on to

Yeh that one was fine, although if I was being picky he played it to close to the keeper so when Coleman got there the keeper was already in his face :P

OK. We were faultless

Were like Brazil in 1970 and Vic reminded me of Tostão.

Lol :lol:

Howard - Like I said, I don't know if he flapped at the shot for their goal or not so I'm not going to comment on that. I've got to disagree with Bailey on one bit though, I thought Howard dealt really well with all the high balls that came in. I usually worry about him with them because he's been uncertain but I thought he was a commanding influence.

Hibbert - I was very worried when I seen Hibbert was playing because he was never going to be match fit. I was right to be worried tbh. I thought apart from a couple of good challenges he was all over the place and he was out of position so many times it was unbelievable. Jagielka spent more time in the RB slot than he did! God knows where his head was at for their goal as well. Hopefully he'll get better with matches because it looks like he'll be playing til the end of the season.

Baines - Totally fucked up for the goal by daydreaming at the back post when he should have been watching the Newcastle forward player. But his world class ball for Jagielka to put us 2-1 up made up for that lapse in concentration for me :P.

Rodwell - I'm going to have disagree with Bailey again. I don't think Rodwell was anonymous at all but put in a really disciplined performance from start to finish. That's something I wasn't sure he had in his locker but he proved, to me at least, that he does. He just sat in midfield without making too many forays forward, got the ball and used his array of passing to get us moving.

There goal was deffo down to Howard, it looks as if he got fingers to it instead of palms and that what made it drift onto Best's head. Anything that came at him he did deal with well but there were a couple of times where he had a flap/punch when a catch would have been simpler. I probably am being picky tbh.

That is true about Hibbo actually, but I dont generally think it was too much worse than Neville normally is positionally.

Disagree with the Baines bit, Distin was about 3 yards deeper than everyone else and if he stepped up like he should have they would have been offside and Baines would have done his job.

I just dont think Rodwell really did anything of note. He was solid enough, but just didnt have any impact on the game.

Also, this ongoing defence of Vic though is bewildering. He is a striker, ie the player at the top of the field who gets goals (7 in 84 appearances now, sub or not thats shocking...). He got into the box so many times and just hit across the line HOPING someone got there. He has no skill, apparently no sense of when to shoot or where the goal is and was lucky not to get himself sent off. Please, try and bullet point the arguments against what a complete and utter waste of space he is. Im not seeing him as a scapegoat, i just think hes crap and always have. Unfortunately he has never proven me wrong.

Iv stuck up fro Vic plenty of times but now its starting to fade for me. When he came back at the end of last year, it looked as if he was turning a corner. He worked hard, got involved in good attacking moves, scored a couple of goals and actually looked like he was determined to make a fist of it. Now I just see the rabbit in the headlights again. He will never make a premiership quality striker but if he can actually show some desire he may be able to do some sort of job for us on the right.

Strange one today....had an excellent stream on Sopcast with no commentary! Just crowd noise...HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV, volume turned right up, was almost there :) .

I had the same stream... Very strange and quite amusing to some of the random shouts from those near the mics!

i used the same one as you guys..i loved it..fuckin hate commentators

also in defence of vic's record a lot are sub appearances..you can say sub or not it's shockin but a lot of those appearances will be for like 2 mins or summat daft cos we all know what moyes is like..they said other day only ferguson has made more sub appearances than anichebe has..im not sayin he is great cos he is far far from it i just think when he did a decent job today he still gets a bit of stick and called lucky..also he is shoved out on the wing most times where he is less likely to score

just checked it up..74 of his appearances have been off the bench

Edited by marcopaulo

Just watched the MOTD highlights on footytube and I think we looked pretty good. Bare in mind I only got 7 minutes of highlights but we looked great going forward, particularily through Arteta, shame about the finishing cause we could have won by a lot more. Saha should have had a hat trick again and a striker of his quality should have done a lot better, especially that header he put a mile over the bar. I've missed our last two premiership games and we've won both! I'll be working Thursday morning while the Birmingham game's on so anyone for 3 in a row?

I've missed our last two premiership games and we've won both! I'll be working Thursday morning while the Birmingham game's on so anyone for 3 in a row?

Never mind just Birmingham...you're banned from watching for the rest of the season :lol: !