IGNORED

Becks No.9?

Hey guy's i just noticced that on Beckford's Wikipedia page that he has been changed to No.9 and also it says in his bio from the start of the 2011/12 season he will wear the Famous No.9 shirt for Everton?

Has anyone heard anything on this?

I'll be getting that shirt if he takes it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Beckford

To be honest I would rather you did than Beckford!

If a player of Saha's quality preferred not to have the shirt, instead opting for number 8, because he was reluctant to accept the responsibility of being an Everton Number 9 and living up to that name, then someone like Beckford should be nowhere near it, and should refuse even if offered. In fact, I agree with the Donovan comment, although I didn't hold it against him as I actually like Donovan a lot and would like to see him back, just not with that number on his back.

why? How many times to I have to present the facts = 10 goals in his 1st season jumping from league 1 to the EPL. Top 5 goal to minute ratio in the EPL. Great feet, great pace but needs to improve.

Is he on a par with the other number 9s? Nowhere near at the moment but I still believe that he could be.

why? How many times to I have to present the facts = 10 goals in his 1st season jumping from league 1 to the EPL. Top 5 goal to minute ratio in the EPL. Great feet, great pace but needs to improve.

Is he on a par with the other number 9s? Nowhere near at the moment but I still believe that he could be.

But as soon as he gets good enough to warrant a number 9 on his back, someone will come in and buy him off us, and he'll go, which isn't what being an everton number 9 is...

Mostly i don't give a crap what number people have, as long as they do there job, but when there's history behind the number you have to be careful about who carries it on..

If King Louis wasn't ready to take that mantle, what makes beckford a better choice? i'd rather see Saha wearing it :/

But as soon as he gets good enough to warrant a number 9 on his back, someone will come in and buy him off us, and he'll go, which isn't what being an everton number 9 is...

Mostly i don't give a crap what number people have, as long as they do there job, but when there's history behind the number you have to be careful about who carries it on..

If King Louis wasn't ready to take that mantle, what makes beckford a better choice? i'd rather see Saha wearing it :/

Can I have the lottery numbers for the weekend seeing as you can predict the future? (Apologies - its 30 degrees here and im sitting in ball soup, dont mean to be rude!)

Saha changed to #8 because he was born on the 8th of August, nothing to do with not being up to taking on the responsibility:

http://www.chesterch...59067-24282132/

Edited by Matt

Saha was number 9 when we first signed him as no.8 wasn't available - he prefers no.8. as his D.O.B is 08.08.78.

Complete fantasy imo....anyone can edit a wiki page.

Don't believe for a moment he's been offered 9 and I don't think he will be. Not to say it couldn't happen in the future but he's not there yet by a long way.

agree with you Mike, 75% of the stuff on Wiki is aload of bollox anyway, it is a very unreliable information source.

Have you not watched Beckford in an Everton shirt?

The number 9 shirt at Everton means something special and so it shouldnt just go to anybody. Any player who wants to pull on that jersey should earn the right to first and Beckford has certainly not done that yet no matter how many times you quote statistics

He has got a long, long way to go yet before he deserves that particular honour. He scored a wonder goal on the last day of the season and yet the thing that stands out in my mind about his first year with us are abject displays like at Man Utd away. His complete unwillingness to even challenge a defender drove me mad

He has done ok nothing more nothing less

Have you not watched Beckford in an Everton shirt?

The number 9 shirt at Everton means something special and so it shouldnt just go to anybody. Any player who wants to pull on that jersey should earn the right to first and Beckford has certainly not done that yet no matter how many times you quote statistics

He has got a long, long way to go yet before he deserves that particular honour. He scored a wonder goal on the last day of the season and yet the thing that stands out in my mind about his first year with us are abject displays like at Man Utd away. His complete unwillingness to even challenge a defender drove me mad

He has done ok nothing more nothing less

Yes I have watched him - hes frustrating but he does a lot of running, gets into great positions, creates loads of chances, quick feet, dodgy goals to shots ratio but still scores often - what more do you want? Stop quoting statistics, why? Because its proving my point and people dont like it?

So who should get it? By your logic no new signings and theres noone in the team at the moment so it should just be sitting there?

Im quoting statistics because some people dont want to accept reality - Becks is a good player and has the potential to be great. All throughout the season individuals have had shocking games, more than one in most cases, so pointing out the Utd game isnt fair - they were all shit anyway. Becks has scored some cracking goals - not just the one against Chelsea (Bolton springs to mind) - and does a lot of running even if he is weak occasionally. He has the ability, charisma and arrogance to be a number 9, I would hope that if he is given the chance he can make the most of it and prove his critics wrong.

So who should get it? By your logic no new signings and theres noone in the team at the moment so it should just be sitting there?

Yes. If there is no one good enough (which there wouldn't be with Saha not wanting the number) then it should remain vacant until there is someone worthy of it.

Beckford had a decent first season, but one decent season doesn't mean he deserves that honour, Matt. If he does it again next season then it'd be fair enough.

The number 9 at Everton has to be earned, not handed on a plate.

Yes. If there is no one good enough (which there wouldn't be with Saha not wanting the number) then it should remain vacant until there is someone worthy of it.

Beckford had a decent first season, but one decent season doesn't mean he deserves that honour, Matt. If he does it again next season then it'd be fair enough.

The number 9 at Everton has to be earned, not handed on a plate.

I get that mate, I really do. I just have a feeling he would grow into it and that it would do him and the club the world of good thats all.

cor blimey is it me or are we in the process of diluting our history? Nearly getting as bad as Liverpool and the number 7 - however I feel they may actually have someone in Suarez that can do it justice. What's next? Calling Vic, Billy and Hibbo the holy trinity?

Matt I applaud your optimism but seriously mate? Beckford is a good lad but come off it, he gets into great positions but for me you need to also look at the chances he misses as well as the ones he puts away (sunderland last minute)- for me the appraisal by many Leeds fans rings true - very much gets lots of opportunities which is great but misses ones that he should score.

The number 9 shirt has been worn by some absolute quality players and in my opinion giving it to Donovan straight away was poor judgement - fortunately he proved to be one of the better ones to wear it in recent times. Newcastle have made a mockery of their number 9 with Ameobi talk etc, lets not follow suit.

Let's start trying to preserve what we were built on pre 1990's, as already we have the press and pundits tagging us as 'plucky overachievers' what we have is 'ok' - it's not success, it's a work in progress and one that's hampered by ambition being compromised by funding/debt. Do you think united are going to be happy with what they have in the knowledge that they are a class away from Barca? nope, they will come again.

My opinion will not change, my feelings and beliefs were formed before I sat my 11 plus from watching my first game seeing us dismantle Notts Forest 5-0 on route to winning the league with a team built on a modest budget- call it dreaming or whatever - you gotta believe and hold the highest expectations and standards. giving the number 9 to a raw player ain't in line with that.

For the first time I have splinters in my derriere. I have to sit on the fence for this one. I can agree with part of what Duncan is saying and also Matt's side of the argument. What about leaving it omitted and see if Beckford rattles in 15/20 goals before Christmas, including a hat-trck against Liverpool, before deciding who should have it?

Edited by The Beard

Yes I have watched him - hes frustrating but he does a lot of running, gets into great positions, creates loads of chances, quick feet, dodgy goals to shots ratio but still scores often - what more do you want? Stop quoting statistics, why? Because its proving my point and people dont like it?

Im quoting statistics because some people dont want to accept reality - Becks is a good player and has the potential to be great. All throughout the season individuals have had shocking games, more than one in most cases, so pointing out the Utd game isnt fair - they were all shit anyway. Becks has scored some cracking goals - not just the one against Chelsea (Bolton springs to mind) - and does a lot of running even if he is weak occasionally. He has the ability, charisma and arrogance to be a number 9, I would hope that if he is given the chance he can make the most of it and prove his critics wrong.

I wasnt just talking about the Man Utd away game Matt, he never challenges for the ball.

He was trying to roll the defender every time and it didnt work once all seaseon.

In answer to your questions , yes if we havent got anybody good enough to do it justice I would rather have nobody wear it

What more do I want from him? Well I would like him to have a better goals per chance ratio but thats not what grates me about him. What I would really like would be for him to be a bit more aware of whats going on around him, he doesnt have to shoot every time. But most of all I would like to see him at least try and put a defender under pressure. Last season if the ball was played up to him at his feet he would need 4 touches to get it under control and if you played it in the air he just stood back and watched the defender collect it

Maybe Im being a bit harsh but I just want more from an Everton number 9, and you could well have a point that giving him the shirt might give him a bit more self belief and spur him on.

The point Im trying to make though is that statistics dont tell the whole story and as someone has already said all the players you were comparing him to with your stats are a million miles better than him and I would swap him for every single one of them

I wasnt just talking about the Man Utd away game Matt, he never challenges for the ball.

He was trying to roll the defender every time and it didnt work once all seaseon.

In answer to your questions , yes if we havent got anybody good enough to do it justice I would rather have nobody wear it

What more do I want from him? Well I would like him to have a better goals per chance ratio but thats not what grates me about him. What I would really like would be for him to be a bit more aware of whats going on around him, he doesnt have to shoot every time. But most of all I would like to see him at least try and put a defender under pressure. Last season if the ball was played up to him at his feet he would need 4 touches to get it under control and if you played it in the air he just stood back and watched the defender collect it

Maybe Im being a bit harsh but I just want more from an Everton number 9, and you could well have a point that giving him the shirt might give him a bit more self belief and spur him on.

The point Im trying to make though is that statistics dont tell the whole story and as someone has already said all the players you were comparing him to with your stats are a million miles better than him and I would swap him for every single one of them

I agree with you for the most part mate, especially this bit, but I'll stop now otherwise im just repeating myself.