IGNORED

Pre-Season: Dc United (Away)

Louis

Beckford showing a lot of confidence and Disitn showing the DC strikers no restraint.

Macaleny then seizes the flick on from Beckford and is unlucky to put it wide on the first time volley.

Would have loved to see the kid put that one away. Brilliant timing on the run.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FULL TIME: DC UNITED 1 - EVERTON 3

well deserved win, lagging at times, but in the 99 degree heat its understandable.

Mucha was fine in goal, couldn't have done much about DC's goal, it was down to poor defending.

Defensively, Coleman looked strong, got forward but also held his own, Distin looked impeccable, didn't put a foot wrong. Baines was solid as always but the real letdown was Jags. Just didn't look up to it, again I'm gonna go with the heat for the main reason. Tired and sloppy in parts. Whilst Heitinga looked comfortable and in control so it would be good to see him and Distin partner up again in the future. Neville didnt have much to do.

In midfield, we'll start with the bad. Bilyaletdinov looked lazy and brilliant at the same time, so the usual. Giving the ball away far too easily but then producing decent passing and shots at times. No other real sub par performances otherwise. Cahill looked energetic but lacking match sharpness. Osman who came on at half time looked fine after the knock he picked up, but the real talking point is the young players.

Barkley looked sublime. His passing, movement, vision and industry looked incredible, his attitude seems very positive and most of all he's only 17 and already looks more than comfortable at first team level. He certainly looks ready to step up and frankly I'd have him in the team ahead of Bily anytime. He looked effortless at times.

Gueye was also very sharp and so too was Rodwell, both of them showing theyre calm in possession and Gueye taking his finish well.

Finally up front Vellios and Anichebe made a good start, a lot of holding up the ball and tracking back. Anichebe looking fitter and more aggressive, which only lends to his now quite built frame. I would expect both to be a part of next season, but hopefully they'll leave that to the bigger boys. One of them being Beckford, who looks more confident than last season, having a few deft touches and setting up the goal as well as a few shots himself. MacAleny was the other striker who couldn't really get into the game, though he had a few good moments.

Overall the youth was the main positive of the match, showing a lot of potential and looking like at least 3 or 4 players are knocking on the door. Hope this was good enough for all those who couldn't see the match.

An interesting match, but the same problems from last season are still evident which worries me. We were shaky at the back, lots of ball randomly played through the channels (with or without anyone chasing it) and a lack of composure and quality in the final third. We could have scored 3 or 4 more, but because of one thing or another we didnt.

Mucha looked very good. A couple of decent reaction saves, looked like he wasnt too sure where his near post was at times but looked very competent and confident.

Baines was very shaky at the back, but delivery was good going forward.

Distin & Jags were all over the place and made a shite DC Striker look ok. Still not working as a unit and both made mistakes. Hopefully the heat just affected their concentration but it was very reminiscent of parts of last year.

Coleman, was decent, mainly going forward. Backed off too much for my liking defensively.

Bily was anonymous bar scoring a well taken goal, and almost scoring another. I really hope we get rid of him tbh as he has very little composure with his back to goal and instead of taking a touch and playing a controlled pass, he hits a pacey, awkward height ball back which puts us in trouble. Hopes of him coming good this year seem a bit far fetched.

Rodwell was very solid, played all game and only got sloppy right at the end. Always looked to pick the ball up out of defence which was good.

Cahill did quite well early on in midfield. He wandered a little at times, but became a passenger when he moved upfront. Looked intent on taking a chunk out of the DC players early on!

Barkley was impressive. He constantly cut in from his wing, got involved and looked very composed on the ball, creating the goal for Bily. I would like to see him in the middle, but he did a good job today.

Vic took his goal really well (surprisingly) but it didnt really last. He never really had too much of an impact after that and spent a lot of the time looking shattered with his hands on his hips. He did track back late in the first half but I think it was more of a case of not getting back into position from the previous DC attack, but maybe I am being harsh.

Vellios didnt really go too much, but also didnt get much delivery. A lot of the time he was doing the donkey work up front, winning a majority of the headers and it was his movement and lay off which helped create the Bily goal.

Osman didnt really get in the game too much when he came on, but was solid nonetheless.

Gueye was a bit of a mixed bag. He did some really good things but also got a bit sloppy, not sure if it was because of fitness or general concentration. The boy can certainly play and he has an eye for a pass. Im not sure he is too keen on defensive duties though. Would like to see him play off the striker if we play 4-5-1.

Mcalaney really impressed me. Apart from not being the biggest, he looked very comfortable, even without much help from his team mates. If people had played him in (mainly Beckford) he could have got himself on the scoresheet, but importantly his first touch and control were expemlery and he was always looking to make runs in behind.

Beckford was alright, he did well to set up Gueye's goal, but could and should have played people in when instead he had a pop from 25-30yards, which is dissapointing considering he isnt exactly brilliant from distance. If he is in and around the box, I have no problems with him taking a shot on, but not from where he did tonight.

Heitinga came on and was probably the best CB of the 3. He looked composed, calm and broke up their attacks cleanly and quickly like they should have been.

Neville didnt really have much impact. bar a good tackle in our box, which he duly passed back to one of their players 5 yards away!

Overall, I think we need to improve our balance in midfield as we did look a bit at sea and the CB's didnt know whether to follow the striker out or stay in line because no-one else was picking them up, which is how they scored their very ordinary route one goal. We have some interesting strike partnerships we can look at now and I certainly wouldnt be adverse to see Mcalaney get some 1st team game time as he will score goals.

Thanks for the updates/reports people. Watched the first half (unexpectedly...thought it was exclusive to Everton TV...would have been pissed off if I'd paid for it and had ESPN!) but went to bed, if I'd known it was on I'd have got more beer in and stayed up :( .

Barkley really did stand out....could be another diamond :) .

Sadly missed Vic's goal....never mind, he'll score another one in a couple of years hopefully :mellow: .

Well, I watched it and for the most part I was impressed with what the boys showed.

Anichebe took his goal superbly and I thought he had a really good game, I don't agree with what Bailey said about him at all. I found myself thinking if he played like this all the time I'd be happy to see more of him. Vellios didn't really get involved IMO.

I do agree with Bailey about the defence though. I thought we looked very rocky and the Distin/Jags partnership continues to look all wrong.

Mucha impressed me too, he made some really good saves when the defence fucked up infront of him. Not that it'll matter or get him in the starting line-up but it was good to know we don't have a Carlo Nash as Howard's back-up.

Midfield wise I thought we did pretty well. Rodwell broke up the play well and I thought his positioning looked like it'd improved. Cahill was a bit meh I thought, I don't remember him doing anything of note other than that header.

The star of the game though was Ross Barkley and he only played 45 minutes! I was trying hard not to get excited while I was watching him but I couldn't do it, he was absolutely brilliant. Nice flicks, he played numerous through balls (can you imagine the fun Beckford could have with a midfielder actually putting a through ball on for him?), he put himself about physically. I'd play him centrally though because he'd be a lot more effective there I feel.

I did find it a bit sad though that I was thinking to myself if Barkley can play like this consistently once he gets into the side how long will it be until we sell him? :(

Overall, it was a really good performance and we've got to bring a lot of what we showed into the season. If we can do that then we can have a good start to the season for a change.

Great updates, made good reading with a heineken/estrella/carling induced hangover. Made up to hear that Barkley seems to be the player we've been hoping to see.

Fancy that eh, another England international. As romey says, you can't help but thinking that given our financial state etc will Billy be getting an early valuation of him.

I'm dreading the motd where Hansen announces him as the next Steven gerrard. Really I should be looking forward to it, but we've been there before "remember the name" - then within 2 years hearts are broken. Anyhows, maybe we may not be a selling club soon?..,,

Well, I watched it and for the most part I was impressed with what the boys showed.

Anichebe took his goal superbly and I thought he had a really good game, I don't agree with what Bailey said about him at all. I found myself thinking if he played like this all the time I'd be happy to see more of him. Vellios didn't really get involved IMO.

still sly digs at vic even about him scoring a goal and his back tracking..won't comment further as not watched it yet but will do when i get home from barnsley and i'm sure he had a great game! :P

Tbh I just didnt seen anything other than I have already seen. Dont get me wrong he did some good things, the goal was superbly taken, a finish that Saha would have been proud of, but his overall contribution wasnt brilliant. I dont think the front two suited each other that well and if the other striker was quicker and livelier (like Mcalaney or Beckford) then I think they would have improved both of their overall games.

Iv tried to stick up plenty of times for Vic hoping that he would kick on but I just dont see it unfortunately.

I think vic was extremely solid for the first 25 minutes or so, when he was hustling everywhere and getting involved. After that, though, he seemed to drop off, which I attribute to the heat most likely.

I agree with that, the heat took it out of him. It was 38 degrees Celsius apparently