IGNORED

What could have beens

Hafnia

Been listening to plenty of stuff regarding Paul Lake recently. Plenty of City fans gutted to see one of the top talents of the 90's wasted through injury. The book is said to be a great read that shows the struggles a player goes through when facing serious injury.

Made me think as to whether we had any players of that description, one I could think of was Billy Kenny, who threw his career away through choice as opposed to injury. Then I also thought about Paul Bracewell, who came back but IMO half the player he was.

Any others?

Joe Parkinson, legend. Great ball winner.

Big Dunc, how good could he have been? Let's just say an ex number 9 told me in no uncertain terms what he thought of him as a player. As a player he argued that he left the fans very short changed. That he found the game unbelievable easy and his application did not match his ability. A big shame he said.

Danny Williamson - paid a fair bit of money but injured and had career cut short, can't recall him much, but remember hearing big things from west ham when he was breaking through

Also Michael Ball who was great at us one of the best kids in the league at the time, a true blue as well just a shame we needed the money.

Just signed for Leicester?

Big Dunc, how good could he have been? Let's just say an ex number 9 told me in no uncertain terms what he thought of him as a player. As a player he argued that he left the fans very short changed. That he found the game unbelievable easy and his application did not match his ability. A big shame he said.

Was it Big Joe Royle?

He has said before that he had everything to be one of the best strikers he had ever seen, but for whatever reason never came through.

Edited by StevO

Just signed for Leicester?

Was it Big Joe Royle?

He has said before that he had everything to be one of the best strikers he had ever seen, but for whatever reason never came through.

Sharpie - had a couple of beers with him. I know Alan Irwin and they were in there together, Alan introduced me to him, I was a

little awestruck. Paid tribute to him that his header against QPR to make it 2-0 to clinch the league in 1984 was the most impressive header I have ever seen.

He's a proper down to earth bloke, real gent. But yeah, when I likened him to Duncan he was very honest in his appraisal and that was Duncan had the ability to be far better than anything around at the time - including Shearer. He has loads of time for him as a bloke as he says you could not meet a nicer fella. But yeah, he more or less said we only seen glimpses of what he had as he was that good. He wasn't disrepectful, far from it - just that he knows when players have got it, and with Dunc red cards etc took away what people should really see him for and that was a really really good player. The game was just too easy for him. He did say that his injuries were pretty horrendous and that Dunc was too brave for his own good. I think Rathbone also said that. But yeah, he had a point, Duncan was a great player no dount it, how good could he have been? The first half cameo againsy United at Old Trafford showed what he was like fully fit and raring to go, we just didn't get that all too often, injuries, suspensions, fall outs etc.

Been quite lucky where I live to have had chats with the likes of Ebbrell, Gary Stevens, and yeah Sharpie. Barry Horne was often out, but never spoke to him. All a credit to the club, no ego's, friendly and approachable, even in the face of red noses on the wind ups, which reminds me, one mate who is a red asked sharpie "aren't you Derek Mountfield?" - Sharpies reply was typically scottish!

How has Graeme Sharps name been mentioned in a 'what could have been thread' ?

surely Sharpie produced the goods, won the trophies and reached full potential!

James Vaughan for me had some bad breaks, I'd love him to do well at Norwich.

I've eaten with the whole Everton team....they were busy kicking the ball around at the time and didn't even realise I was tucking into a scouse pie!

Danny Cadamarteri for his 1st few games.

Joe Parkinson would have been an England international if it hadn't have been for the cruel injury that ended his career - he was as good as Keane on his day 95/96 season - class.

Unsworth should have been better than he was after his England cap.

Jeffers - what a waste.

Walter Smith's Everton should have been/done much better - Materazzi, Dacourt and Collins - class!

Everton have been the masters of the ' next great striker who 'just didn't quite make it'....Branch, Jeffers, Cadamarteri and Vaughan.

Jeffers did at least do Everton a power of good, his goals and link up play with Campell at the end of the 98/99 season kept us in the prem and his massive fee from Arsenal was mind blowing......a big thanks for that!

Unsworth had the makings of a class centre half, Mark Hughes was in his pocket every time he played against him, as was John Fashanu (ok random I know) - but for a young lad he could handle the rough and tumble players brilliantly.

In the end though I feel he got a fair bit of stick for his long diagonal balls to Duncan because we knew he was better than that. Too big to play full back also IMO.