IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I suspect he'll be used as an impact player at the World Cup.

Problem with that is his best games this season have come from him starting.

Yeah I can't see Roy starting him in any games at all, unless Rooney picked up an injury mid-tournament for example, then maybe he would

It's not consistency you look for - it's game changing ability in a tournament. He has that in spades, the ability to beat a man, get a shot away can be the difference.

He should be there just for the reason that in 2 years there will be no Gerrard and lampard. You need youth on that pitch in south America, that heat will see the old guard fade, need that energy that only youth can give.

It'll be winter in Brazil, although a couple of venues are close to the equator.

It'll be winter in Brazil, although a couple of venues are close to the equator.

I think I read that Germany especially have it the worst of the European teams with the early kick offs at the more northerly venues? It's been described as 'inhumane' to play at the earlier kick off times in those cities, might really have an effect on one of the tournament favourites. Then again it could just be journalists looking to write about every possible angle and permutation (sp?), as usual!

I think I read that Germany especially have it the worst of the European teams with the early kick offs at the more northerly venues? It's been described as 'inhumane' to play at the earlier kick off times in those cities, might really have an effect on one of the tournament favourites. Then again it could just be journalists looking to write about every possible angle and permutation (sp?), as usual!

I'm quoting myself because I've just seen where I read the 'inhumane' comment about the early kick offs. It was Nikica that already posted it in the World Cup thread. Sorry! Haha

Guest Nikica

I'm quoting myself because I've just seen where I read the 'inhumane' comment about the early kick offs. It was Nikica that already posted it in the World Cup thread. Sorry! Haha

:rofl:

I read something similar to my comment there and wondered if I'd ventured into the wrong thread! At the top it still said 'Barkley' lol.

But yeah, that is true about the conditions.

I have avoided posting in this topic because I wanted to see as much of the boy as I could before talking about him. I'd never seen him play much prior to this season. He really does look pretty technically gifted for an English player, and he's a major talent. I think he should be used as an impact sub at the World Cup, he offers that something different that the likes of Sterling and Lallana can as well.

Absolutely. Its the development side of things I like hearing, that more and more people are advising Ross to stay where he is.

You get the odd, biased weapon, who wants to cause chaos but most see this potential WC player in Ross. He needs at LEAST four years of true development here before he can be considered to leave.

He says that FA should top-up Barkley's wages at Everton to match what he could earn elsewhere because he's being developed better at Everton than he would be elsewhere. That seems a bit absurd to me. The solution is simple "don't be a greedy git Barkley and stick around." :)

I don't understand the speculation recently, common sense tells you that most are better off staying where they are. Even the Mirror are linking the manager with a move away.

He says that FA should top-up Barkley's wages at Everton to match what he could earn elsewhere because he's being developed better at Everton than he would be elsewhere. That seems a bit absurd to me. The solution is simple "don't be a greedy git Barkley and stick around." :)

I don't understand the speculation recently, common sense tells you that most are better off staying where they are. Even the Mirror are linking the manager with a move away.

Louis, do you read any posts on here?!

Skimmed through the pages and then went back to click on the link, didn't realize until the page started to come up that this was another Durham article. The guy has some strange fetish with Everton.

It wasn't the quote about supplementing the wages which in itself is completely ridiculous that it requires no comment but more the earlier comment that Martinez has done a good job managing Barkley that he "has absolutely no problem with Barkley staying at Everton"

Sooo multi millionaire footballers needs subsidising? No, what needs to happen is a wage cap.

An idea would be to have brackets by age, i.e players under 25 can earn £50k a week max... that will give them a less incentive of jumping ship for money and focus on developing at their club.

If we implement a wage cap, our brightest stars will simply move overseas. A wage cap didn't work in the 60s and 70s - cue the "brain drain" - and it wouldn't work for any sport that is international.

I'd rather not let our club take money from the FA in exchange for our obeying the national team manager's wishes regarding a player. That's crazy. This is Everton Football Club.

I agree. As Ronald Reagan once said, the most terrifying words you can ever hear are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!" Replace "government" with "FA", and the same holds true! Government and bureaucracy are the antithesis of competition.

I agree. As Ronald Reagan once said, the most terrifying words you can ever hear are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!" Replace "government" with "FA", and the same holds true! Government and bureaucracy are the antithesis of competition.

While I would never, ever, in a million years side with Reagan or any of those of the anti-welfare state ilk, he's maybe at least right when it comes to football. It really is the most capitalistic of all sports... This gives me some pause for supporting it every now and then. What I'm saying though is that I really don't want a clientalist relationship with the football association, where they give us money and we do what they ask of us and support whatever they want.

What would really stop this whole mess is a Europe-wide salary cap. Also, I think there should be a greater element of profit sharing amongst clubs in the leagues. The latter would increase competition, but probably only at the top level. Doesn't matter to us, because, historically, we have been the most consistent club there is!

IMO Barkley shouldn't go to the WC. Managers take 23 players but they rarely use more than 15. Will Barkley be among those used? Not likely.

Is he ready to consistently take over the starting spot? Probably not. Will he play at all? Unlikely. Let's recall the number of the midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order, around 5 or 6. Three of them starters plus two experienced subs.

In a short cup competition when you need a goal you bring in your tallest striker and cross/hoof balls. The only situation I could see Hodgson using an explosive midfielder that like to run with the ball like him is in overtime with both team struggling with heavy legs (we can't deny how powerful he is when he runs with the ball).

Would Hodgson have what it takes to send Barkley, a youngster, in OT in a decisive game? I doubt that.

Therefore, ff he's going to watch the games from the bench a la Walcott, I prefer the lad to rest, disconnect from football, enjoy his holidays, train on his game calmly and come back ready for next season. He's very young and the England set up doesn't always help the players.

[OFFTOPIC]

If we implement a wage cap, our brightest stars will simply move overseas. A wage cap didn't work in the 60s and 70s - cue the "brain drain" - and it wouldn't work for any sport that is international.

I'd call basketball an international sport and the salary cap works quite well in the NBA. Truth be told, it's a combination of respect (playing at the highest leve), reputation (worldwide known) and endorsement deals that make the NBA much more interesting than China or European basketball.

[/OFFTOPIC]

I'd call basketball an international sport and the salary cap works quite well in the NBA. Truth be told, it's a combination of respect (playing at the highest leve), reputation (worldwide known) and endorsement deals that make the NBA much more interesting than China or European basketball.

[/OFFTOPIC]

There is one viable league in basketball that everyone wants to get to. In football there are several. This is why there would need to be some enforced cooperation amongst them. Maybe financial fair play is a step in the right direction. We will see.

It needs to be universal - and not just for football. Money is destroying the game.

I'd take him the world cup just as I would Shaw,Flanagan,Stones,Sterling etc. Say to the lads enjoy it its all experience. They wont do any worse than the older players and then say the Euros in two years is the one we want. With the easy group they have the kids can piss it and get ready for the euro's.

Bit off topic and ive never noticed but a mate in work reckons Ross and Mirrallas hate each other and don't talk. I don't believe it but just thought id say

I'd take him the world cup just as I would Shaw,Flanagan,Stones,Sterling etc. Say to the lads enjoy it its all experience. They wont do any worse than the older players and then say the Euros in two years is the one we want. With the easy group they have the kids can piss it and get ready for the euro's.

Bit off topic and ive never noticed but a mate in work reckons Ross and Mirrallas hate each other and don't talk. I don't believe it but just thought id say

Barkley and Mirallas not talking? hmmm interesting one.

Didn't Jelly and Mirralas not get on either...

That was the rumour. Like I say its probably bullshit but my mate lives near Kirby and reckons Ross is rumoured to be a "big head". He seems quiet and humble to me so I reckon its a load of rubbish

Guest blueboy122

That was the rumour. Like I say its probably bullshit but my mate lives near Kirby and reckons Ross is rumoured to be a "big head". He seems quiet and humble to me so I reckon its a load of rubbish

Where does Ross live?

Doesn't come across that way at all to be honest as you said looks a quite a shy humble lad.

Who can blame footballers these days for turning into dickheads with the money and lifestyle that they get thrown into at a young age, money, girls, fast cars, fame etc. especially when a lot of the time these players come from council estate/poorer backgrounds.

The most annoying part of it though is now you just need a good season at youth level or the championship and your being touted as the next big thing and your pockets are stuffed full of money when these kids have done nothing in the game and are set for life with a few million in the bank.