IGNORED

Moyes interview on TalkSport

Louis

Mr Moyes was on Talksport this morning - talking about the upcoming derby predominantly but a few other matters to.

Whenever this guy speaks he comes across as down to earth, realistic and pragmatic. After match interviews might be a tad questionable, but normal 'cool light of day' interviews he comes across as a fantastic guy to have at the helm.

Although different to a couple of others - Dave Whelan, Harry Redknap, Allardyce etc - he just says it how it is.

Once again, from an outsiders point of view - it's very hard to think of another manager you'd rather have at the helm, and I'm absolutely convinced he has (or has had) the chance to move elsewhere.

He mentioned the financial issues - and the need for 'something' to happen re the stadium simply to improve revenue. Talked about Tevez (backed Mancini) and joked about 'there's a position for him at Everton!', and mentioned that he'd stopped Arteta from going last year, but had to cave in eventually. The way he presented it was 'had to let the lad go, it was only fair having kept him already for a year'.

Anyway, as Talksport interviews go (never that good) he was excellent I thought.

yeah i heard it too, it was one of his better interviews tbh, but then i think him and Alan Brazil are quite friendly so he probably felt more comfortable, as when he is on talksport he usually talks on Brazil's show, thought it was interesting the way he said results were good, but performances were under par, er well Davie maybe because you line the team up to draw every game, and constantly play everyone out of position??

but one of Moyes's better interviews, without doubt

Heard it, comes across well. Still not convinced by his belief that Cahill is our best striker option, extremely worried if that is the case - are we just gonna put arial crosses in if that's the case?

Would much sooner have Vellios - I would like to see the outcome between him and tim going for a ball in the air, I think this lad gets up higher. Inch for inch no one out there better than Tim, but a good biggun beats a good little'n IMO. Seems to have a better strike than Tim also (which is something Tim has never displayed)

Cahill hasn't scored since December so I'd definitely be concerned about that!

Peoples opinions are clouded by his goalscoring record as a "midfielder" - more often than not in football people are rated on reputation without having in depth knowledge about the individual. For me Cahill is a nuisance - a spoiler. Yes he can change games like he did against city last year, but he is not a goalscoring striker. I would sooner give Vellios the platform to see if he can be a consistent goal threat at this level.

Interesting on Cahill yes...

I suppose some managers might say "he's the best option, period". And others might say "I thought he was the best option for this specific game".

If he's the best option every time, then yes, that's worrying. Great player, but there's only one of him, and it's a long season and he's not getting any younger.

Mindful of 'city' comparisons - but he reminds me of Paul Dickov (but stronger). Works incredibly hard, and his work rate gets him goals.

Agree he's never a potent out and out striker, but then again, I don't think he's ever really been in a position where he could try to be. By that - I mean, of course he's been played as a striker at Everton, but he's had to do a lot more work than many other strikers do.

For other teams - he's a pain in the arse - and that's always the type of player you want in your team. But the better teams will snuff him out and Everton need another outlet for those games.

Moyes also made a point of backing the chairman - since Moyes has been with Everton for a quite a while, there's every reason to believe he's telling the truth that BK's a fine chairman. I'm inclined to believe him and BK's motivation is to do the best for Everton (that of course, doesn't mean he makes the right choices!).

Interesting on Cahill yes...

I suppose some managers might say "he's the best option, period". And others might say "I thought he was the best option for this specific game".

If he's the best option every time, then yes, that's worrying. Great player, but there's only one of him, and it's a long season and he's not getting any younger.

No disrespect to Tim, but he is not a great player. He is a legend, just in the same way Goater was for you. There are a stack of forwards in the league I would play before him i'm afraid.

No disrespect to Tim, but he is not a great player. He is a legend, just in the same way Goater was for you. There are a stack of forwards in the league I would play before him i'm afraid.

this opens a slightly wider discussion i think haf, as Cahill is not much of a midfielder either his passing is dogshite for starters, what do you think?

I can see your point there, but I think a lot of outsiders smile when he's not in your lineup.

Yeah you're right - he's not a 'GREAT' - but he's damn effective. The term irritant was accurate. 1 in 4 isn't a bad return for a player of his type but he's what? 30ish now?

1 in 4 is poor for a striker, decent for a midfielder but very average for an attacking midfielder/deep striker who given the team focus and delivery of Baines should get alot more than that.

I don't like being critical of Cahill, it feels like sticking your dog that has fought off burglars in the kennels for an evening so you can entertain guests who aren't dog lovers.

Edited by Hafnia

I changed the name just to make it a bet less 'in your face' with FanchesterCity.

A couple of folks weren't as keen on other fans as others (no surprise really) - just thought the name change might won't like quite so bad when people logged on and say 'city' all over it!

Although I do find the board's sky blue background to be a lovely gesture ;-)