IGNORED

Rodwells's Red Rescinded.

rubecula

3 points could be crucial at the end of the season. What if we finished 2 points behind Liverpool, 2 points outside of a Europa spot, it will almost certainly mean we may have finished 1-2 places higher and the prize money we get for that.

We need every penny we can get and the potential ramifications of the bad decision are endless

The only thing that this does highlight is that this is the first time in a very long time that Everton haven't had an appeal rejected. Or a sentance added. And to be honest, i only think that it was down to the media attention that covered the situation.

The media were all over this and I think any other decision would have been outrageous. Even people I know who arent into football have asked me what happened, and those I know who arent Evertonians have all said it had to be overturned

The only thing that this does highlight is that this is the first time in a very long time that Everton haven't had an appeal rejected. Or a sentance added. And to be honest, i only think that it was down to the media attention that covered the situation.

Yeah, if the decision hadn't been condemned in the press as much as it has been then I very much doubt it'd have been overturned.

What's the betting this nob never refs us again like Clattenburg?

Yeah, if the decision hadn't been condemned in the press as much as it has been then I very much doubt it'd have been overturned.

What's the betting this nob never refs us again like Clattenburg?

bloody hope so. Some refs are fine, but you just know prior to games, who's going to be biased or card happy.

Did you hear the odds before the game? I heard this on Radio City prior to the game.

A red card to be brandished in the derby (pre named referee) - 10/1

A red card to be brandished in the derby (post Atkinson's naming) - 7/1

Even the bookies know what he's like!

Just on SSN The red has been rescinded.

To be fair we would have to have been very unlucky if the FA had managed to find 3 men on the planet who thought it was a red and then got them all in the same room at such short notice

Atkinson meanwhile awaits his fate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/04/martin-atkinson-fa-jack-rodwell

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Does that mean we get an opportunity to replay the game? Does that mean Atkinson gets fined? Does that mean Suarez gets punished for simulation?

Nope, justice done? Not really.

its a very disturbing world were living in, Haf and I are agreeing more and more!

bloody hope so. Some refs are fine, but you just know prior to games, who's going to be biased or card happy.

Did you hear the odds before the game? I heard this on Radio City prior to the game.

A red card to be brandished in the derby (pre named referee) - 10/1

A red card to be brandished in the derby (post Atkinson's naming) - 7/1

Even the bookies know what he's like!

Emphasise my point - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2011/10/atkinson_diet_hard_to_swallow.html#more

Good gamblers know a sure thing when they see one - which explains an unusual scene in the Goodison Park press box in the moments before kick-off in the Merseyside derby.

A well-known sporting figure, not involved in football it should be stressed for the conspiracy theorists, noted that Martin Atkinson was taking charge of the 216th meeting of Everton and Liverpool and commandeered a laptop to have a little last-minute flutter on the likelihood of a sending off.

This was a fixture with a history of red cards presided over by a referee with a habit of awarding them. And the money was on its way to the bank after only 23 minutes when Jack Rodwell was sent off in the defining moment of this derby.

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle808327.html

Refs like Martin Atkinson don't realise football is a gladiatorial contest and are ruining the game for fans

In this column seven days ago, I urged the football authorities to show a little common sense, and recognise the Merseyside derby is an encounter that requires sensitive handling .

It is a fixture based on history, passion and drama, and one that surely lies outside the sanitised constraints of modern football. The sport is nothing without its history, and nothing without its passion either, and if the game is to remain great, its rulers need to recognise that.

Instead, we were offered the depressing sight of Martin Atkinson treating one of the greatest fixtures on the calendar as though it were a staff v prisoners encounter at Wormwood Scrubs.

There was no common sense, no sensitivity, no recognition of the drama and pageantry the great game can generate. Just school-master style, pursed-lipped, hair-trigger, hair-brained refereeing.

The worse thing of all about Atkinson’s decision to dismiss Jack Rodwell, was that there hadn’t been a single bad challenge in the game to that point. In fact, after 22 minutes, there had been just THREE free kicks awarded.

A quarter of the Mersey derby gone, and only three free kicks? What the hell is the modern game coming to? That’s not football, that’s an aerobics class.

As a genuinely saddened Graeme Souness said afterwards, the rulers of the game fast have a big decision to make, because they are on the verge of making it a non-contact sport, and do they really want that?

Of course, we can brush the incident under the carpet, and say it was just a mistake by a referee who is not up to the job, one who is only too keen to brandish the cards in his pocket.

But the issue runs much deeper than that. Atkinson merely sums up the autocratic mentality of the rulers of the modern game. They don’t actually care about the fans, or the clubs, or the players who are the lifeblood of their game, they just care about their rules.

It means a game can be ruined after 20 minutes, and millions of people can be cheated out of the multi-millions of pounds they have paid to watch the event, to ensure upstart footballers know their place.

That, though, is a dangerous road to travel down, because it ignores one fundamental principle of modern-day sport…that it is a branch of the entertainment business.

When so many people have spent so much money for that entertainment, they are entitled to wonder if they have a recourse should that entertainment be ruined.

The modern game has gone too far. There is so much emphasis on clamping down on anything and everything, on removing any spark of passion from the spectacle, that they are destroying the spectacle itself.

Saturday could easily have been avoided. Atkinson, with his record of dismissals should never have been appointed. The game needed sensitive handling by a referee who understands the history of the Mersey derby.

More than that, though, the ruling bodies in the sport must grasp a wider principle. People have paid to see a contest, they want to see gladiators in combat against each other.

And that means ensuring the contest can develop wherever possible. Referees must be primed, not to obsessively implement every single fussy ruling, but to keep players on the pitch if they can, and encourage the spectacle.

If Atkinson had been encouraged in that mentality on Saturday, he would never have seen Rodwell’s perfectly fair challenge as a foul…and the game would not have been ruined. The time has come to allow officials enough discretion to ensure the fans get the entertainment they are paying for.

Howard Webb applied that principle in the World Cup final – and thank God he did. The English referee was actually criticised in some quarters for not dismissing Dutch players earlier in that flagship game, but by showing discretion, he ensured the biggest game in history was a spectacle, not a debacle.

The best games – the best Merseyside derbies – have passion, emotion, aggression, and tribal rivalry, as well as skill, flair and creativity. It is up to the authorities to ensure all those qualities remain in our game.”

Just thought i'd share this. Its relevent because i know of a little thing in the pipeline that goes alongside what i've highlighted.

If you guys can bare with me for a few weeks, i'll come back to this and give you an exclusive wink.png

Hopefully and I am hopeful that something that could turn out very big, in relation to this 'event'. smile.png

But as I say, bare with and hopefully it'll come off.

Edited by tenaciousj