IGNORED

Kenwright's leaders in football interview

Matt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interview is very good. The headline about 'Man City owners might have bough Everton' is a tad misleading (as ever). Technically it's true, but it implies that Everton was 'on the list' so to speak. Which is a bit inaccurate.

He's damn right though - City got lucky for many reasons, and with the same luck, it could have been Everton.

He comes across very well - like Dave Whelan does - BUT, Dave Whelan's a merciless businessman behind the scenes. He appears to be live everybody's favourite uncle etc - but you wouldn't want to cross him.

Quite how Bill is in a business sense is hard to know - it's not his core skill. Regardless he 'sounds' like the type of chairman most clubs would love.

I think he makes a good point about Evertonians holding on to history, which is a great thing... but might be an issue too. I'm not entirely convinced it's holding you back that much though.

I think the 'Everton' romance angle is bit questionable. Not a dig at Everton, but Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham etc would all say the same thing about it being a 'special' club. And in many ways, they are ALL right.

All in all thought, cracking interview.

Hmmm, what is Bill up to?

anyone recall this piece?

"Like the one where Amanda Staveley, the British financier who is best mates with Sir Philip, did indeed find a billionnaire buyer for Everton FC in 2008 and that the Middle Eastern consortium completed due diligence and were on the brink of a deal before one side, believed to be Kenwright, pulled the plug at the last minute for reasons unknown. That Arab buyer? None other than Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan — the man whose bottomless wallet has propelled Manchester City into the Champions League."

One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me, was that it was suggested if Everton had a plan for a stadium, then Abu Dhabi would have looked closer at Everton.

Kirkby plan was announced in 2007

Kirkby was 'called in' in August 2008

Man City was took over in September 2008

Kirkby move collapsed in November 2009

Essentially, what I'm saying is there was a plan in place for a stadium at the time.

One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me, was that it was suggested if Everton had a plan for a stadium, then Abu Dhabi would have looked closer at Everton.

Kirkby plan was announced in 2007

Kirkby was 'called in' in August 2008

Man City was took over in September 2008

Kirkby move collapsed in November 2009

Essentially, what I'm saying is there was a plan in place for a stadium at the time.

Are you suggesting Bill is telling only half the truth Louis? I am.

I'm not saying anything other than providing dates of events ! ;)

It just seems that there's always something that doesn't add up in these interviews.

Maybe there were was some truth in the investors wanting Kirkby to go ahead... (I'm still relieved it didn't)

Perhaps they were interested but pulled out shortly after the plan was called in.

Hmmm, what is Bill up to?

anyone recall this piece?

"Like the one where Amanda Staveley, the British financier who is best mates with Sir Philip, did indeed find a billionnaire buyer for Everton FC in 2008 and that the Middle Eastern consortium completed due diligence and were on the brink of a deal before one side, believed to be Kenwright, pulled the plug at the last minute for reasons unknown. That Arab buyer? None other than Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan — the man whose bottomless wallet has propelled Manchester City into the Champions League."

That's piece is simply incorrect.

Shortly after City were bought, the press started stories that another 5 clubs were being 'looked at' but Saudi businessmen / consortia.

Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle and a couple of others, but all these rumours started AFTER the first purchase.

That's piece is simply incorrect.

Shortly after City were bought, the press started stories that another 5 clubs were being 'looked at' but Saudi businessmen / consortia.

Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle and a couple of others, but all these rumours started AFTER the first purchase.

You may not have seen the copy of the email relating to a non disclosure agreement which suggested talks were ongoing...

I'm absolutely sure 'like for like' they'd have looked at other clubs.

Nobody can honestly say they chose City above any other team out of love!... simply right opportunity and the right time.

Frank Sinatra (the dodgy Thai) chairman needed to get rid of his shares quickly and he cut a deal with the Sheik.

Compared with other potential clubs, City was probably the easiest / best option.... New ground already in place, lots of spare land around the ground, failing club with large fan base etc etc - for sale right now, no quibbles.

With any other club, there would have been a lot more negotiation, and potential hurdles with the ground etc etc.

I don't want to say City had more footballing potential, but as a business opportunity, it's probably fair to say they did have a lot more potential due to the above factors.

I think it would be unfair to think Everton did something wrong, more a case of City were bloody jammy and as Bill pointed out, nothing 'underhand', but some clever moves on their part. That ground was probably the best political move they've ever made. Getting it for sod all (but the council take a cut of the revenue) and only spending 20 million (from memory) on converting it for football.

Something West Ham are trying to do, but it's happened at an awful time for West Ham, AND there are all sorts of stipulations in that deal to keep the running track etc, and it might be the wrong size.

I'm curious as to how Bill K is going to 'know' the right buyer when they arrive. I doubt they'll be Everton supporters... and far more interested in business. How is bill going to differentiate some Arab Prince, from an American tycoon, from an Italian Mafia mogul?... and how the hell he'll ever know their long term intentions is beyond me.

You may not have seen the copy of the email relating to a non disclosure agreement which suggested talks were ongoing...

I thought they were in talks with Zaheel Investments another leg of the 'Saudi Royal Family' - but whenever there's any interest from Saudi 'the Saudi Royal Family' term always gets rolled out.

I do agree though that there's no way Sheikh Mansour 'just' bought City totally out of the blue. They must have had some notion of buying a club for a while. Of course, City was a fire sale, and this might have presented too good an opportunity for him to turn down.

Now, this might sound daft, but I do recall it being mentioned during the take over...

The name 'Manchester' (thanks to United') was a factor... not a huge one, but a factor still.

Manchester City could ride on the back of 'Manchester'. As silly as it sounds, Everton doesn't have that luxury. It's very subtle and nowt to do with football, but marketing and brand recognition.

To be fair chaps... things change very quickly....

Yes, right now, most of us City fans are living in dream land - I swear the feeling when they play the CL music in the stadium.... it's amazing.

BUT... it could all go wrong tomorrow.

So far, the Sheikh really seems to be going about it all in a very great way - nice fanzone at the ground - local bands playing before the match... outdoor bars, restaurants etc etc. But who's to say what's around the corner for us? disaster could be looming if he pulled out.

And as some have alluded to - a little bit of 'soul' is lost.

But we've had chairmen who supported the club - managers who played for us etc etc, and none of them really worked out. We all LOVED the idea of Francis Lee being our chairman - it was great in principle, but in practice - it actually made us move backwards, not forwards.

My heart tells me Everton have possibly missed the boat. That there was a real change 4-5 years ago, but now, it's looking grim. There's far less money in the world right now, and councils aren't into building stadiums these days.

The number 1 thing with City was that stadium, start to finish. The council make money from it now, as do City... both have a share in the profit. On the one hand, sure, it's not 100% ours, and it reduces our profit, BUT, we didn't pay a penny for it, and it keeps the council sweet as it's a nice little earner for them. They'd be making sod all with it without us.

Right now, the grass looks greener on our side (arguably), but some of the players need a kick up the arse (Tevez) and we still manage to balls things up at every opportunity.

I don't like the fact that we're buying our success (mostly), but... when you look back historically, Liverpool and United have always spent big. They didn't exactly get to the top on a lowly budget no matter how 'romantic' they try to make their stories.

Everton will pull through this current dark period. ... at least you're not in the old Second Division !!! now that WAS bloody dark!

Well if true that makes me feel a whole lot f**king better, I think not.

I heard this rumour at the time. They wanted a club with solid support and a good history and tradition, both clubs have that. They plumped for Man City as they had the stadium and would only have needed investment in the squad.

With us you would have to add another £500-600 million for a state of the art stadium?

Thats what I heard, whether there is any truth in it, I dont know

so you would rather we struggle on at goodison with no money than be in a new stadium in kirkby,

and be in the champions lge,it would be my dream to have that sort of backing,as it seems to be genuine and long term.

So Goodison Park and remain in stasus or move to Kirkby and play regular football in the Champions League with Abu Dhabi backing the club. That's a dilemna, I don't know how to answer that! I really wasn't impressed with the idea of moving to Kirkby.

So Goodison Park and remain in stasus or move to Kirkby and play regular football in the Champions League with Abu Dhabi backing the club. That's a dilemna, I don't know how to answer that! I really wasn't impressed with the idea of moving to Kirkby.

Is this kenwright saying "I did try and get you a stadium but you didn't want it, sorry now aren't ya!"

Because my counter to that would be "ringfenced money meant we should have already been in one of the best modern stadiums at kings dock william"