IGNORED

Olympics football

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point of having a Team GB.

It just means there will be an awful lot of players that won't get a game.

If we do go down this route, then get rid of players from the existing national squads, and offer the places to a squad of new faces. I'm tired of seeing the same players representing our country when they are predominantly players who are too interested in what colour their next Ferrari will be.

If we do go down this route, then get rid of players from the existing national squads, and offer the places to a squad of new faces. I'm tired of seeing the same players representing our country when they are predominantly players who are too interested in what colour their next Ferrari will be.

There'll have to be a fair few new faces because fifteen of the eighteen squad members have to be under twenty-three, but I agree with you on the over-age players as I said earlier in the thread. Solid club pros who've never played internationally (eg Ossie) should get the nod for me.

There'll have to be a fair few new faces because fifteen of the eighteen squad members have to be under twenty-three, but I agree with you on the over-age players as I said earlier in the thread. Solid club pros who've never played internationally (eg Ossie) should get the nod for me.

Can you imagine what the press would write if a selector were to pick an unexpected squad? rolleyes.gif There would be a media melt down. Still, if consistency has it's way, Barton is in line for captaining England very soon.

£52!? Jesus christ, no wonder people are seeing it purely as a money spinner. Sometimes I don't understand these corperate decisions. Maybe i'm just too floaty but if you sold that shirt for half of that price at £26, i'm sure they'd sell a damsight more units and make more profit, than you would at £52?

Or is that just me?

I remember just before the world cup, SportsWorld or whatever its called did the ENgland shirts for £20, they flew out. My misses and her dad bought one....and Big Ade's only love is fishing. But they bought it to show their support and not break the banks.

Great Britain will be aiming for their fourth Olympic Games men's football gold medal in London 2012.

The previous three came in 1900, 1908 & 1912 when they were won by the England Amateur team...

The Great Britain football team (in effect, England Amateurs) which won the Olympic Games gold medals in 1908 & 1912 was captained by Tottenham Hotspur's legendary gentleman amateur player Vivian Woodward.

Woodward was the greatest player in the world of his generation and his goalscoring record was truly astounding: 29 goals in 23 appearances for the full England team and a further 44 goals in 30 appearances for England Amateurs, including 8 goals in a match against France.

7657.jpg

England's squad at the 1908 Olympic Games in London was:

Horace Bailey (Leicester Fosse, goalkeeper)

Arthur Berry (Oxford University)

Frederick Chapman (South Notts F.C.)

Walter Corbett (Birmingham City F.C.)

7659.jpg

Harold Hardman (Everton F.C.)

Robert Hawkes (Luton Town F.C.)

Kenneth Hunt (Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.)

Clyde Purnell (Clapton Orient F.C.)

Herbert Smith (Reading F.C.)

Harold Stapley (Glossop North End A.F.C.)

Vivian Woodward (Tottenham Hotspur F.C., captain)

George Barlow (Wigan Grammar School Old Boys Club) reserve player

Albert Eduard Bell (Woking FC) reserve player

Ronald Brebner (Darlington FC) (goalkeeper) reserve player

W. Crabtree (Blackburn Crosshill FC) reserve player

Walter Daffern (Royal Engineers AFC) reserve player

Thomas Porter (Stockport County FC) reserve player

Albert Scothern (Oxford City FC) reserve player