IGNORED

Pienaar

Sounds ominously like: He wants more money, and we've said we haven't got it, take it or leave it!

Don't think that's "ominous," think it's the way it should be.

Just wish he'd make a decision quickly....I wouldn't keep him for the year if he refuses it though, get rid quick and bring in someone who wants to play for us.

Ditto. I can't believe their 'swap' deal with Etto, what the fuck were Barca smoking that day!? Whatever was in that pipe was seriously fucked up nugget! Inter were laughing!

In fairness Zlatan scored more goals and got more assists than Eto did last year and has done so every season for the last 5 years bad one year.

i third that..best piece of footballing business in the history of transfers..fuck knows how much money plus a top striker like eto'o for ibra who can be the best when he can be arsed which isn't often

Eto career stats:- 451 Games 220 Goals/ 32 assists

Zlatan career stats:- 390 Games- 180 Goals/ 87 assists

There really isn't that much between them. Eto'o can be just as lazy and troublesome as Zlatan. Both are talented. Both score lots of goals.

Eto career stats:- 451 Games 220 Goals/ 32 assists

Zlatan career stats:- 390 Games- 180 Goals/ 87 assists

There really isn't that much between them. Eto'o can be just as lazy and troublesome as Zlatan. Both are talented. Both score lots of goals.

So would you agree, the deal was shit? Considering they went in opposite directions but Barca forked out another £30m +...? Fucking crazy.

So would you agree, the deal was shit? Considering they went in opposite directions but Barca forked out another £30m +...? Fucking crazy.

It was an odd deal but considering Guardiola hated Eto and that feeling was recipricated by Eto you can see why they wanted to do a deal. Inter where reluctant to sell Zlatan as he'd been their leading man and Serie A top scorer during his tenure there.

I'm not saying it's a shit deal as both teams did well out of it. The money was silly, but the money is silly in all transfer now. The £24m plus Ireland for Milner is exally as silly just on a different plane of quality and money involved.

It was an odd deal but considering Guardiola hated Eto and that feeling was recipricated by Eto you can see why they wanted to do a deal. Inter where reluctant to sell Zlatan as he'd been their leading man and Serie A top scorer during his tenure there.

I'm not saying it's a shit deal as both teams did well out of it. The money was silly, but the money is silly in all transfer now. The £24m plus Ireland for Milner is exally as silly just on a different plane of quality and money involved.

True! I think sometimes, valuations from one club to another can be soo vast, that they look stupid on one clubs part. I personaly think that the deal was rediculous lark, but i suppose a price paid is only paid for how badly that clubs wants them?

True! I think sometimes, valuations from one club to another can be soo vast, that they look stupid on one clubs part. I personaly think that the deal was rediculous lark, but i suppose a price paid is only paid for how badly that clubs wants them?

One aspect of transfers that often gets over looked is not the true and fair value of a player but what a player is worth to a club. The club is the one that should be in the power here and the sale of a player should be determined by what he is worth to the club, not just what the player should be worth.

The Lescot case is a good example. He is not a £24m player, however at the time that was a fair price for Everton as his value to the club was higher than that of his true value.

i know im nit-picking, but wasnt it 14m + ireland? Oh, and Lescotts price was over inflated because of the Johnson sale to the shite.

Edited by galacticaracnid

i know im nit-picking, but wasnt it 14m + ireland? Oh, and Lescotts price was over inflated because of the Johnson sale to the shite.

The Lescott sale price had nothing to do with the Johnson sale. We'd have still held out for a kings ransom because we didn't want to sell.

The Milner sale is hard to tell, places reporting different things. main one i've seen is that it was £28m, then they classed Ireland as £8m so Villa got £20m. Something like that, not sure precise figures as I don't really care that much about either of those teams so i'll take it all with a pinch of salt.

The Lescott sale price had nothing to do with the Johnson sale. We'd have still held out for a kings ransom because we didn't want to sell.

The Milner sale is hard to tell, places reporting different things. main one i've seen is that it was £28m, then they classed Ireland as £8m so Villa got £20m. Something like that, not sure precise figures as I don't really care that much about either of those teams so i'll take it all with a pinch of salt.

Wont argue with the Milner one because like you said, theyre plenty of stuff being banded about. But the Lescott sale was absolutely infulenced by Johnsons sale coupled with the kings ransom like you said. Getting a little offtopic here, cut n paste to the Lescott thread?

Oh, and i meant Glen Johnson not slaphead.

Wont argue with the Milner one because like you said, theyre plenty of stuff being banded about. But the Lescott sale was absolutely infulenced by Johnsons sale coupled with the kings ransom like you said. Getting a little offtopic here, cut n paste to the Lescott thread?

Oh, and i meant Glen Johnson not slaphead.

Oh yea I realised that you where talking about Glen.

As fans we said "If they get this much for johnson then we should get this much for Lescot". But in the business world of football then it really will have made no difference. If Liverpool had not signed Johnson we would still have held out for the same amount for Lescott. As I said before it's about the worth of a player to a club, not just the true worth of a player. And as we didnt want to sell the price tag was always going to be inflated.

Oh yea I realised that you where talking about Glen.

As fans we said "If they get this much for johnson then we should get this much for Lescot". But in the business world of football then it really will have made no difference. If Liverpool had not signed Johnson we would still have held out for the same amount for Lescott. As I said before it's about the worth of a player to a club, not just the true worth of a player. And as we didnt want to sell the price tag was always going to be inflated.

I cant believe the business world of football wasnt affected by stupid transfers that year, throughout Europe. Look at Ronaldos sale, Kaka, Ibra and most of the Citeh signings for that matter. The market was affected by the business men coming out with large chequebooks (and competition of club egos in Spain i think),the market was certainly affected for the selling teams at least. They were sitting there thinking "well i dont want to sell my player but if youve got Xmillion we will reconsider". They chose a stupid number thinking that noone will ever pay that but then clubs did. So i suppose its like you said, how much the player is worth to the club but in the end the business world was affected as well.

just for info, found this site, was quite useful for looking up Euro transfers!

http://soccerlens.com/summer-2009-english-premier-league-transfers/39611/

As for Jlo there had to be something in the back of the boards mind saying the same as the fans on the street, theyre supposed to be fans too right? Youre damn right about the worth of a player to a club too, i agree completely, but its not that simple all the time. The true worth of Lescott for the club was probably more than we sold him for, his partnership with Jags was one of the best in the EPL and selling him destroyed that.

Johnsons transfer was part of another attempt by Liverpool to splash the cash to gain sucess and they paid an over inflated price to get him, again for the same reason you say - he was a big player for Pompey. But we also have different prices for different players based on how people rate them. Hughes loved Lescott, was determined to get him at any cost and compared to other players in his position, 24m was exaggerated but reflected the transfers at the time. Without the other transfers going around, we wouldnt have got more than 20m for him but because of the other overpriced transfers it was acceptable to charge over the odds.

I really dont think im explaining myself well here. im putting it down to the heat in the office and the fact im flicking between writing this, rereading it, jumping back to work etc.

Except for the fact that Crouch is shit in the air and much better on the floor :unsure:.

This move would make me feel sick, literally.

Me too, pienaar for crouch haha... if we get crouch i won't be able to bear the amount of times we will hoof it, even tho as romey says hes bollocks in the air