IGNORED

Stoke (home)

c1982

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is out wide and comfortably dealt with by Stoke. They're a big side, why do we insist on putting the ball out wide for crosses

We could do with getting to the byline and cutting the ball back. We are getting into some good wide positions but not taking advantage of them.

Not happy with this ref at all.

Is the way forward to cross in their box given their height? Maybe keep it on the floor and shoot from the edge instead.

it'is a fair point against this team of monsters. but it looks likes like moyes is backing the aerial 'threat' of cahill and vellios. at least we're getting the crosses in.

Kind of goes against the "start him behind the striker he's not a winger" argument.

Not at all. If he plays in the behind the striker, he can roam anywhere. After the first 20 minutes he was running right down the channel where Woodgate was playing and into trouble. He was doing well out wide because the Stoke defence are so narrow (pretty much defending the penalty area). Whenever you have a CB playing as a FB they are much more vulnerable when they are forced wide, and Bily showed that in the first 20minutes, and bar some poor technique, he did well. Havent seen him since then though.

Not at all. If he plays in the behind the striker, he can roam anywhere. After the first 20 minutes he was running right down the channel where Woodgate was playing and into trouble. He was doing well out wide because the Stoke defence are so narrow (pretty much defending the penalty area). Whenever you have a CB playing as a FB they are much more vulnerable when they are forced wide, and Bily showed that in the first 20minutes, and bar some poor technique, he did well. Havent seen him since then though.

Bow to your superior technical knowledge (seriously....no sarcasm intended) but the last sentence says it all for me.

That was a pretty decent first half from us but again it is a case of wasted opportunities, not so much with our attempts on goal, but the one or two passes before that which create the openings.

Its been a tough game for Vellios and he has held his own. Maybe more importantly, he has created so much space for Cahill by not coming short all the time and incidentally the latter his having his best game for a long time.

I think Felli needs to stay deep when we have the ball (and let Osman push forward) as we look vulnerable to breaks although Heitinga is having a great game, with Jags not far behind.

Baines and Hibbert have been the most dissapointing so far and they need to step up defensively and in the final third in the second half.

Bow to your superior technical knowledge (seriously....no sarcasm intended) but the last sentence says it all for me.

That last bit is the problem. For me it seems as if he has lost his confidence and has actually started to go hiding a little bit and trying to blend in with the rest of them although I may be being a bit harsh.