IGNORED

Stoke (home)

c1982

I posted this on the Oatcake Fanzine website last night...

Hello Potters, Evertonian from toffeetalk here... I've been given the task to ask you boys and girls some questions about our upcoming encounter so here we go...

1. Analyse your season so far in 1 sentence...

2. What are your thoughts on Everton's start to the season?

3. As 'outsiders' looking in, what is your knowledge/views on the current 'takeover talk'/fans unrest at Everton?

4. What are the current feelings/expectations at Stoke having esablished yourselves in the EPL and even succeeding currently in Europe?

5. Which 3 players should EFC be wary of on Sunday?

6. Which 3 players are you most wary of from EFC?

7. ...and finally. Your post Europe form is a little shoddy to say the least. Can you stop the rot on Sunday at GP? Score?

8. (Optional) Obviously the news of Gary Speed's premature death has shook the football world. At toffeetalk we have shared some great memories and paid our respects to a once hero and a lifelong blue. If you would like to share anything please add it onto your post. We'll show our respects pre-match and here's to a good 'old fashioned' EPL match on Sunday.

Thanks in advance.

I had put it all together nicely but then lost it!!! major overreaction alert.gif

I've thought of a safer way to do it now so responses will be up imminently...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Analyse your season so far in 1 sentence...

MysticalDescent - European football is so easy, that we've completely messed up our once solid defence just so that it's more challenging.

Jamo on the Wing - Very inconsistent, mainly due to us rotating the squad for our Europa commitments.

Algor - Great start followed by being humbled by very average teams

Dexter97 - We seem to be having a few problems adjusting from being "plucky underdogs" to our new billing as an "established PL team".

Linx - Frustratingly weird. Top of one of the toughest Europa Groups and still absolutely awful away from home: we can nearly beat Dynamo Kiev after a 2,000 mile journey but can't beat Bolton just up the M6! We can hold our own against the top four sides and get thumped by Bolton and Sunderland. WTF!?

2. What are your thoughts on Everton's start to the season?

MysticalDescent - I tend not to pay too much attention to how Everton start seasons, being notoriously slow starters and all. Looking at the table, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where you finish this season.

Jamo on the Wing - Started a bit shakily but same as ever Moyes will get results.

Algor - Normal slow start, getting stronger every week.

Dexter97 - Same old same old, although the financial difficulties seem to be biting a bit more this term.

Linx - Usual stuff. You could do with getting all top six sides for the first six fixtures because I'm sure DM writes them off anyway. You'll finish top ten if injuries don't take their toll on your small squad.

3. As 'outsiders' looking in, what is your knowledge/views on the current 'takeover talk'/fans unrest at Everton?

MysticalDescent - I don't really know a lot about it, to be honest. I think Everton may have missed the boat. A bit of investment a few years ago could have got a fourth placed finish, but now Everton are in a weird sort of tier on their own. There's the Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea tier, then the Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool tier, then Everton on their own, above teams like Stoke but miles away from the others. It seems strange that the board are apparently actively seeking investment, but they can't find anybody with any money willing to get involved in a Premier League club, when foreign takeovers are going on left, right and centre.

Jamo on the Wing - I get the impression that Kenwright is a decent bloke but doesn't have the clout to take the club forward. Whether he wants to relinquish control is another matter.

Algor - a great club, well managed with a scouting network everyone outside the top 4 should learn from, shit ground. Any investor will need to to find over a quater of a billion quid on building a new ground and that makes you unattractive I am afraid.

Dexter97 - Don't know a great deal about it, but it strikes me that Bill's asking price might not represent the best value for money for potential investors.

Linx - Don't know much about it but I'm surprised that someone hasn't come in sooner. Out of all the clubs inviting a takeover, surely Everton have the most kudos and potential. I know no one would have wanted them but why did Venky's go for Blackburn when Everton were up for sale? I can only imagine BK is putting people off by asking too much.

4. What are the current feelings/expectations at Stoke having esablished yourselves in the EPL and even succeeding currently in Europe?

MysticalDescent - We're in a good position to get out of our group and I hope we will. I would like us to go as far as possible in the Europa League because it's such a rare event for us and another FA Cup run would be nice. If we got those two, I'd actually take a 17th place finish.

Jamo on the Wing - I want a top half finish this year but that will depend on Europe.

Algor - Staying in the prem & semi's of eufa cup would be great.

Dexter97 - Surprising amount of negativity around the club at the moment, some of which is understandable, but we're on a steep learning-curve this season. TP needs to learn how to better utilise his playing resources when fighting on several fronts. Apart from that - Loving it.

Linx - If we finished top ten with a good run in Europe that would be a great season. It looks remote at the moment, though. The heavy defeats we've suffered in the last 5 weeks have been very unStoke-like and have left me fearing the worst.

5. Which 3 players should EFC be wary of on Sunday?

MysticalDescent - Walters, Etherington and Pennant. Walters makes things happen and puts in an incredible defensive shift, while if the two wingers hit form (Pennant is currently off the boil just as Etherington is getting back to his best) we look very, very good. Pennant bottled it a bit at home to Everton last year, so maybe he won't like playing against you in a hostile atmosphere.

Jamo on the Wing - That's tough away from home as we're gash! Realistically it's Pennant, Etherington and Walters.

Algor - etherington, pennant and walters.

Dexter97 - Walters and Ethers definitely. Apart from that it depends who bothers to turn-up on the day. I'm backing Huthy for a return to goalscoring form!

Linx - Etherington, Walters and don't underestimate Crouch.

6. Which 3 players are you most wary of from EFC?

MysticalDescent - Cahill - not scored for a while, bound to get two or three from set pieces. Fellaini - a bit dirty, but a good player who I'd love Stoke to have. Distin - almost certainly the best defender not playing continental football this season.

Jamo on the Wing - Cahill (bound to break his duck), Fellaini (sp) and Baines

Algor - cahill, fellini & rodwell.

Dexter97 - Cahill (due a goal), Fellaini (will beat our two centre-midfielders on his own), and given our current weakness down the right, Baines.

Linx - Baines and Cahill. Our post-Europe and poor away form could conspire to give Saha a chance to show his old form.

7. ...and finally. Your post Europe form is a little shoddy to say the least. Can you stop the rot on Sunday at GP? Score?

MysticalDescent - No. It's not so much that our post-European form is shoddy, it's that every game after Europe has been away from home and we're garbage away from home. You should expect a win.

Jamo on the Wing - I'll take a 0-0 which after my recent away excursions would be most welcome!

Algor - No we will lose.

Dexter97 - As has already been said, we're shite away even without the Europa League. In some respects, I'm glad our post-Europe games have been away, as I'd written them off anyway! Heart hopes for a draw, head says you'll beat us by two or three.

Linx - No. 3-0 to Everton.

8. (Optional) Obviously the news of Gary Speed's premature death has shook the football world. At toffeetalk we have shared some great memories and paid our respects to a once hero and a lifelong blue. If you would like to share anything please add it onto your post. We'll show our respects pre-match and here's to a good 'old fashioned' EPL match on Sunday.

Jamo on the Wing - Gary Speed always seemed a consummate pro who gave his best for all of his clubs. Scored some great goals (mostly from his head it seemed) and his untimely passing is a great loss to football.

Algor - I can't understand how a man like that can come to a point that he feels so alone and so helpless that the only way out is death! I can't begin to imagine what was going through his head and really feel for his family, RIP!

Dexter97 - I think the outpouring over the last couple of days says it all. Top player and all-round good egg. Very, very sad.

Edited by c1982

Interesting how they seem to think this will be a walk in the park for us. Not exactly like we've figured out how to score, maybe this is the time. With them in Europe we should be able to have a real go. If we can establish ourselves early I reckon it might be getting time for some flowing attacking football. (Fingers crossed.) Can't really see two clean sheets in a row though, 3-1.

Europe can really hurt. If you rotate the team, it upsets the consistency, if you keep the same lads, they're down 10% come the next game. Not always but often.

Even so, I think this could be tough. Everton aren't really scoring for fun, and Stoke will be itching to get back on track and there's usually a lively atmosphere at GP.

Don't forget to dry your balls ;-)

shit ground?! cheeky bastard..... Anyway, Stoke are always a tough cookie so I wouldnt expect much with us not being able to score. Might nick it 1-0, but that would require another clean sheet. So, will go 1-1edi

edit: credit to ya C1982, nicely done.

Edited by Matt

Think were due some goals, playing in europe will affect them and they usually play four big lads across the back four so i think coleman and Drenthe if he is fit would be the key for us. Drop Timmy and play Bily behind Saha cos his movement off the ball would give him the nod for me off Velios. 3-0 Saha,Bily and Royston.

Drenthe if fit might have a field day on the left with Baines overlapping.

Im expecting a lot of baines crossing into the goal area and I REALLY THINK CAHILL will bag one or two with his head.

3-1 Everton

Cahil * 2

Saha * 1

(wishful thinking)

Crouch will score for them.

It's amazing to see how many opposition fans fear Cahill. His reputation precedes him. There will never be a better time to sell the legend that is TC. He deserves a move (signing on fee etc etc), we could do with the money, and it would be sad to see him further decline from what was a great footballer for us. Him moving offers the opportunity to give Barkley a good chance.

I posted this on the Oatcake Fanzine website last night...

I had put it all together nicely but then lost it!!! major overreaction alert.gif

I've thought of a safer way to do it now so responses will be up imminently...

Its a complete lottery when you bring cut and paste in from an outside source, Gaps appear between chapters, some of the text changes from large to small, and some of it appears as Bold when it wasnt when you posted it.

I know its not easy and you've done a good job of it, but i think the Stoke thread looks so much better.

http://www.potters-o...View-Everton-FC

Edited by Bill

Havent seen much of Stoke this year, but they have a squad to be wary of. Its a bit of a shame they have struggled after the Europa League games because I thought/think they had a really good chance of qualfying through the league this year.

They like to get balls in the box, so playing Felli deep is essential. He would literally mop everything up and give the 2 CB's a bit of a break. I am confident that if Distin is fit then he will return, Moyes would want his size in there even though Heitinga and Jags have done well in the last coupld of games.

People have mentioned Vellios playing instead of Saha, but I dont this game would suit him. Stoke are a big unit with experienced defenders, and its very unlikely Vellios will be able to bully them. Saha has a bit more agility, guile and tricks to out play the Stoke defenders. It will be imperative to keep the ball on the floor as if we play hoofball, they will have a field day.

Lawro's Prediction for Everton v Stoke

There will be another big Gary Speed tribute at Goodison Park and some of his old Everton team-mates will be appearing to lead the minute's applause before kick-off.

Stoke played in the Europa League on Thursday, which generally means they get beaten on the Sunday. After a bad run, the Potters were better in their win against Blackburn last week, although Rovers were very poor defensively in that game.

Prediction: Everton 2-1 Stoke City

Here are all of Mark Lawrenson's 140 predictions for the 2011-12 Premier League season, together with how the League table would look like if those forcasts were all correct...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Mark_Lawrensons_Predictions_2011-12.html