IGNORED

New striker

Mogsy

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, given Moyes' mentality, it's going to have to be a brilliant striker. I can't see many strikers getting any goals by playing the lone gun and having a lack of support like we do now. I'm going to say most forwards would struggle.

I don't want to knock Moyes all the time, he has done some great things for us, but I seriously worry for us at the moment and as you say tonka I can't see who we could bring in to make a difference?!

I don't want to knock Moyes all the time, he has done some great things for us, but I seriously worry for us at the moment and as you say tonka I can't see who we could bring in to make a difference?!

I think Moyes has done some amazing things. Right now, I'm just upset about the result and am spouting my anger... I'm sure it will change tomorrow and by our next win, I'll love Moyes again.

have been saying for weeks now, that improvements need to start in midfield not upfront, no point buying a striker, we don't even make chances for the strikers we have now, the whole Arteta thing is looking like a massive slap in the face now. We may have a ready made replacement in Barkley but Moyes does'nt seem to fancy him at the moment.

Edited by theprisoner

It is unlikely we will find a striker within our budget that will score bags of goals with the way we play. We let Beckford go and for me he was the best we had at playing alone.

I expected nothing from yesterday and we got nothing, however we were never likely to get anything the way we played.

Seeing Mick Mcarthy on MOTD last night he said something like

I thought all week about playing 1 or 2 up (at Old Trafford) and went for 2 and decided to try and get at them. You cant sit and defend at Old Trafford. Ok they got hammered 4-1 but might have lost like that by defending

Could you ever see Moyes thinking like that?

Always hard to score playing the lone striker with no one supporting.

The lad Jelevic at Rangers looks a promising talent and does tend to play upfront himself but I know the gulf between SPl and EPL is massive but he is a full international and will get better plus the cash problems Rangers have this now they cannot knock back a decent offer

Im not 100% sure of what budget Moyles will have but some possible decent prospects out there. Rhodes at Huddersfield & Cox at WBA. Certainly not the type of player who you could imagine lighting the fans up with excitement but possibly cheaper options and driven enough to make an impact

We talk about not being able to find a player able to play upfront on his own, is that not the time to at least try to change it up? IS Moyes really determined to just play the one formation, we've got to the stage this season when realistically we're not competing for a place in Europe and (I'd like to believe) we're not in danger of being relegated. I'd love to come out in our next game with all guns blazing, an attacking formation and have a real go at them! Let's be honest we can't be doing any worse than we are at the moment..

I think Ba would have been a real steal! Realistically, as always, we're looking at a lad from a lower league team (or abroad) we can get for cheap and hope he's going to be a super star. Can we afford that? To be buying players which may be good for what little money we have!

Went to scout some players at Swansea yesterday, now I know why Moyes got rid of AJ, he just chases balls down the channels most of the time as that is his strength, still, Clint Dempsey would play well on his own up front. Ha Ha, what do I know, I'm no professional scout!laugh.png

Went to scout some players at Swansea yesterday, now I know why Moyes got rid of AJ, he just chases balls down the channels most of the time as that is his strength, still, Clint Dempsey would play well on his own up front. Ha Ha, what do I know, I'm no professional scout!laugh.png

i like Dempsey a lot, but he would be way out of out price bracket i reckon, which is a shame i think he would do a real job for us

i agree with you kohen i dont know what newcastle are paying him but he is worth every penny,moyes did enquire and i think his wages were probably to much,he was also worried about bas knee but if you look at his injury record its not that bad.

moyes probably regrets not going for him im sure he would have chosen us ahead of newcastle,a big miss indeed.

it was wages, Ba wanted £80,000 a week did'nt he

When put like that it ticks me off considering our situation surely Moyes and the Board knew it would come to this with letting players go and our very limited options...

He's probably one of the best acquisitions this season pound for pound, I'm not sure if Spurs are covering all his wages but Adebayor looks like a cracking loanee.

even if he did want 80 grand he was on a free,a 3yr deal would cost 12 million,equivelent to a 4 million striker on 40 grand and you wont get a striker of his quality for 4 mill.

not quite that simple in my opinion. It wouldve caused unrest if a player who had only played in the EPL for 5 months and got relegated suddenly became top earner. There was no guarantee he was going to continue his form and 12m over 3 years in wages is too big a gamble for our club.

If moyes is so desperate to have 1 striker, 3 central midfielders and 2.... widemen im not going to say the other 'w' word, cus moyes mght get upset, why dont we just play 433, it the same concept except it gives us more going forward and the full backs more space esp if we play coleman RB.

========Howard========

Coleman=Jags=Heit=Bainesy

====RodwellFellaini=====

=======Barkley========

Drenthe============Bily

=========Striker=======

Edited by BlueTiggaOli

If moyes is so desperate to have 1 striker, 3 central midfielders and 2.... widemen im not going to say the other 'w' word, cus moyes mght get upset, why dont we just play 433, it the same concept except it gives us more going forward and the full backs more space esp if we play coleman RB.

========Howard========

====RodwellFellaini=====

=======Barkley========

Drenthe============Bily

=========Striker=======

Yeap agree with you on this

I'm not being funny but are you lot who include billy in ideal starting lineups watching the same player? He's absolutely shocking in every aspect. The only thing he does well is hide and offers no support what so ever for baines, who in my opinion we'd be lucky to have come next season.

Billy needs to be fucked off pronto!

========Howard========

====RodwellFellaini=====

=======Barkley========

Drenthe============Bily

=========Striker=======

Going forward blasphemy de-member this naysayer at once!!I agree btw

Ok folks, fast foward to January and Moyes is shopping for a new forward, do you think anybody within reason is going to make any difference with the current style of football we are playing, or are most forwards gonna struggle at our club at the moment?

We don't have the money to have all members of the team working well together.

To achieve this, and for it to be effective at Premiership level, would cost a fortune. The top teams have this, but look at how much the players cost them.

The best we can hope for without huge investment, is to have players who are decent, or who 'were' the best, but are now ageing, and cheap.

It would be great to have David Silva, Nani, Van der vaart etc in midfield, with Van Persie and Edebayour in attack, but can't evcen afford 'one' of those type of players. How then can we expect to compete in the Prem, to the expectations of the fans, against teams that have lots of that standard in their squad?

We don't have the money to have all members of the team working well together.

To achieve this, and for it to be effective at Premiership level, would cost a fortune. The top teams have this, but look at how much the players cost them.

The best we can hope for without huge investment, is to have players who are decent, or who 'were' the best, but are now ageing, and cheap.

It would be great to have David Silva, Nani, Van der vaart etc in midfield, with Van Persie and Edebayour in attack, but can't evcen afford 'one' of those type of players. How then can we expect to compete in the Prem, to the expectations of the fans, against teams that have lots of that standard in their squad?

What I'm trying to get at is, what can be done to turn things around results wise, MOTD last night said we needed a new foward, so ok, say we got someone who we all think can do a better job than Saha, vellios, yak, beckford etc, would our system just render him isolated and in affective, or ar there players out there who can play on they're own up front and get regular goals?

Edited by mogsy

What I'm trying to get at is, what can be done to turn things around results wise, MOTD last night said we needed a new foward, so ok, say we got someone who we all think can do a better job than Saha, vellios, yak, beckford etc, would our system just render him isolated and in affective, or ar there players out there who can play on they're own up front and get regular goals?

I think any striker would struggle in our current squad. We don't have the players in order to accommodate the movement, creativity, pace, spontaneity etc etc that is required to compete at the top level. If we did buy a top class striker, we would certainly be better, but a bit of creativity is needed also, and we don't have that in my opinion. A few strikers, and a few midfielders would make a big difference. It really isn't that the manager picks the wrong players, but that the fans think some of the players are better than they are.

I think any striker would struggle in our current squad. We don't have the players in order to accommodate the movement, creativity, pace, spontaneity etc etc that is required to compete at the top level. If we did buy a top class striker, we would certainly be better, but a bit of creativity is needed also, and we don't have that in my opinion. A few strikers, and a few midfielders would make a big difference. It really isn't that the manager picks the wrong players, but that the fans think some of the players are better than they are.

Yeah agree we need a midfield maestro to feed a striker, I just see plenty about the Saha not scoring etc, is it just him? Would the money be better spent on a classy midfielder and then Saha or vellios might start popping them in.

To be fair thinking back to the Wolves game there were atleast 3 crosses in the first half that were put right on the 6 yard line waiting to be put in. Saha couldn't be arsed running into the box but I'm sure another striker would have so service isn't always the issue. He seems to go out wide alot too.

I don't think and Andy Johnson type would hurt us at the moment even in the short term, someone who makes runs and has a bit of pace but can actually play (beckford was lacking in the footballing department).

Saying all that we'll probably sign hesky!

As much as I thought Saha was poor yesterday, its not his fault we arent creating any chances. Yes he does need to make more of an effort to get into the box, and he needs to work harder but you get the ball to him in and around the penalty box and 8/10 he will score. How many other strikers that we could afford can do the same thing? The flip-side of this is, that a 'new' striker might by working harder, might be able to get more opportunities even if his conversion rate is worse.

The bottom line is that we arent giving our strikers any type of service, whether it be Vellios, Saha, Cahill, Straq or anyone else we might buy in January. To some extent its a mute arguement and it wont be until we start playing better collectively as a team, and creating opportunities, that we know whether any of them are truly good enough at this level.

Yeah agree we need a midfield maestro to feed a striker, I just see plenty about the Saha not scoring etc, is it just him? Would the money be better spent on a classy midfielder and then Saha or vellios might start popping them in.

Take a look at Van Persies goal yesterday.

He created that out of a half chance. He missed a few other chances too, but he made sure he got there in the end.

How many chances per game will Van Persie, or Aguero, or Rooney get per game to score?

How many chances will Saha get?

Saha is a decent striker on his day. Yakubu scored many in the first season, but many were tap ins, and all the work had been done in advance, despite him still finding the net. Neither Saha, or Yakubu have great movement. You'll not see either off them turn a guy on the offside line, or out pace a guy. Saha is an edge of box striker, and Yakubu is a box striker.

Everton need players who will move for the ball, in turn taking defenders with them, and creating opportunities for others. Pienaar did it very well (not so much Arteta). Drenthe does it too, and Cahill occasionally, but when it comes to Osman, Rodwell, Fellaini, Coleman, or anybody else, we are too static.

Fellaini I can forgive, as he covers the pitch well, and creates our play, but there is no movement throughout the team. Without movement, who do we pass it to? Without movement, we are easily defended against, and without movement, we are unlikely to get shots in, or our strikers to get the rebounds.

It's both strikers and midfielders for me.

We need new strikers, and, new attacking midfielders. Another Andy Johnson type striker would be ideal, as another few Pienaars would be.