IGNORED

Turning point in our season

Avinalaff

Can anybody feel it?

Is anybody else excited?

I felt Drenthe yesterday rolled his sleeves up, and made a very big statement of intent.

We also received the news that Landon was returning, and Barkley signing his contract for me made the week complete.

I think we can take yesterdays match, and find lots of positives, and I'm very confident that we can push on, and turn our season around now, with the January window being the icing on the cake.

We're gonna kick some serious ass soon. I can feel it. biggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g6wJOu19hQ

Im really happy with your positive attitude, and you are right on many things. We do however need a goalscorer. If we had one we would have won yesterday with 5-1.

But still, i saw a lot of great things yesterday. Magaye being one, and perhaps motm. Drenthe looked good, osman looked good. Saha looked ok up till finishing. Defence looked good.

It might be a turningpoint but we need a striker.

good to see someone's positive, but i think you maybe jumping the gun slightly, whilst Drenthe changed the game yesterday he came on far too late in the game, yesterday convinced me that Moyes has run out of ideas tbh, all that possession, those shot's and nothing to show for it, and the lineup yesterday was shocking, the like's of Cahill and Neville need never pull on a blue shirt again unless its a major crisis, and you mentioned Hibbert, well i watched him closely yesterday, and i now know why he hoofs it all the time, it's because he can't pass the ball on the ground, not even 6 yards across the deck, which at that level is not good enough.

Im happy we rescued a point, but the general standard yesterday at home, against Norwich was not good enough, and ive had enough of the excuses, when is Moyes going to admit, he is to blame, because he damm well needs too.

Feel it? I can SMELL it!

Everton have had far better performances than yesterday's game and not gone on to progress from there. So I fail to see why an enthused Drenthe appearance in an otherwise lacklustre team performance should be considered a catalyst / turning a corner.

I DO think it's something to be upbeat about though... knowing he can show some spirit. Sadly, Everton currently seem very inconsistent.

Capable of some solid resolute performances against the better teams, and then complacency against the lesser teams.

I suppose virtually all teams suffer from that to some extent, but with Everton at the moment it's a bit exaggerated.... which in part is possibly why some weeks Everton fans can be (rightly) very optimistic, then the next week (also rightly) see that you're not that things aren't as they should be.

Feel it? I can SMELL it!

Everton have had far better performances than yesterday's game and not gone on to progress from there. So I fail to see why an enthused Drenthe appearance in an otherwise lacklustre team performance should be considered a catalyst / turning a corner.

I DO think it's something to be upbeat about though... knowing he can show some spirit. Sadly, Everton currently seem very inconsistent.

Capable of some solid resolute performances against the better teams, and then complacency against the lesser teams.

I suppose virtually all teams suffer from that to some extent, but with Everton at the moment it's a bit exaggerated.... which in part is possibly why some weeks Everton fans can be (rightly) very optimistic, then the next week (also rightly) see that you're not that things aren't as they should be.

Jeez, don't you have a European exit to go cry about? dry.png

There's one thing having a chat with our fans, but it's another posting negative objections to a positive thread designed to lift our members.

Nobody gives a toss whether you 'fail to see it'. You're a Manchester City fan. Do you look for ugly people in the world so you can point out their ugliness? It might be the truth in 'your' eyes, but some of us would look for beauty in other areas of that person.

How about being a bit more tactful please mate? doh.gif

Back on topic, we pulled level yesterday after being a goal down, and we did so by not giving up, and playing until the whistle. I've not seen that spirit for a while, but it was evident yesterday.

Norwich might have scored, but we were by far the better team.

If Drenthe had been fit enough for 90 minutes, I'm sure he would have been played for 90 minutes. Moyes might be a lot of things, but he doesn't strike me as being daft. As for young players like Vellios, Barkley, etc, Moytes giving them a run out is giving them a taster. Not playing them isn't that they are dropped, but that he feels the time is not right for their growth. They'll get another run out, but the long term is more important than the short.

We normally go on a decent run in the second half, and we generally start to play better just before Christmas, so I think we'll go on a bit of a run soon, especially if we can get a goal scoring mentality back into the side. Hopefully the window will be kind to us.

I really hope you have the chance to say "told you so". You're optimism is hugely endearing but at the moment I'm not feeling it. All I want for Xmas is Moyes to try and play 442 in the next game. Give Tim an expended Xmas break and play Angell mk2 with Saha. Come on my Scottish Santa.

I'm going to say 'told you so' now, and get it out of the way. wink.png

There is plenty to be happy about. smile.png

Looking at our next 6 fixtures:

Sunderland - Away

West Bromich Albion - Away

Bolton Wanderers - Home

Tottenham Hotspurs - Away

Aston Villa - Away

Blackburn Rovers - Home

The 7th is Man City at Goodison, depending on how we do up til then we could be in a strong position and look to get a scalp off the league leaders. Or we could be in mid table obscurity or worse...

18 points would take us to 38, just 6 points above a guaranteed Europa league spot, which Arsenal currently sit in. 4 away games is not such a bad thing either, we've won 3, lost 4, but bear in mind the 4 losses were Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and an in form Newcastle. The teams we're playing a way to don't all have glistening records at home either. Villa, Sunderland and West Brom have won a collective 7 games at home between them this season. Tottenham look to be impregnable at home however like the other 3 teams we usually do well at their ground, picking up draws and the odd win as of late. All 4 teams can cause us problems but we've conceeded just 9 goals on our travels, and we all know that our defending is getting better, it's our attacking that's the problem.

With Donovan arriving however, and the prospect of "one or two other wee signings" to come, there is reason for optimism. However, as I said earlier, the team in 5th place, the only guaranteed Europa League spot, is only 6 points behind the maximum we could take from all 6 games. The two home games should be 6 points in the bag, but they will both need as many points as they can get their hands on and we will need to be clinical in order to get the win. After the next two games, we will be exactly half way through the season, with as much time to pick up enough points to finish strongly, we still have the FA cup in which we stand as good a chance as anyone, relatively. Then of course there is the fact that even 8th place may be good enough for Europe.

Arsenal and Chelsea won't win the Champions league but if they did and finished in a European place, then an extra would be added to the league. If any 2 of the top 5 teams make the final of the FA Cup, then the result would be the same. Then there is the prospect of either Manchester club winning the Europa league, which is highly possible. In which case a third would be added meaning 8th is good enough. Without a doubt this year the top 6 teams will be as it stands, probably in a different order. However 7th will remain up for grabs and really, without investment, we can't hope for any more. It might be enough though for a shot at Europe, and remember how good that felt. The extra TV revenue, tickets at the ground, increased publicity, increased revenue, a chance for the youth and the offer of European football to potential targets.

I think we've missed Europe massively, I think money was invested in the squad on the basis of increased revenue from Europe, and I think we've suffered financially and as a whole without it. Some people say the Europa League isn't important, but to us it would be a massive boost. Moyes still has the eye for quality players that don't cost much, look at how Drenthe has taken to the team and the league, and to get European football would mean loosening the ties that bind and allowing us a little room to maneuver in the market.

Out of the next 6 games, 14-18 points would keep us in the frame, 8-12 points would keep us stable, and anything less and we should forget ambition and concentrate on survival.

It's too late now for you never know what could happen talk, these 6 games take us into a tough run of fixtures with Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham at home, and Wigan and QPR away. We know the team we've got can and has played the top teams without fear and gotten points. We know we have played lesser teams and driven straight throuhg them without stopping. What we need is to conjure up that form and show we can stand up and be counted. i don't doubt we have the talent, but we need the consistency now. Manchester United typically do well over Christmas, maybe it's Sir Alex, or maybe it's because they know they do well that they return to that way of thinking and produce the football they're capable of, but they are starting to demolish teams and every game is 3 points for them now. We need to be the same, the quality is there, and the next 6 games will determine whether we get back to a level where Ferguson dubbed us "Title Contenders" after we beat them thoroughly 3-1 a few years back, or whether we end up as a 10 second overview by Alan Hansen on MOTD at the end of the season...

looking at those fixtures we might get 6 points.

Think your right unfortunately, win our two home games, maybe a draw at Sunderland, WBA looked good last night, so that'll be a tuff game. I'm a bit more encouraged about us after last night, I think it's a MASSIVE must that we keep drenthe, don't think we will qualify for a Europa place(unless we win the cup) it'll be mid table mediocrity for us, which is better than a relegation battle I suppose.

On any given day, Everton can beat ANY team, but they can just as easily slip up against Blackburn Rovers.

That's probably true for many teams in the Premier League, so you can only really take it one game at a time. Can't deny that the fixture list looks fairly attractive for Everton, but that's where so much danger creeps in, adding up points in your head and putting yourselves in contention for something. We all do it, but it rarely turns out at we expect!

We end up celebrating 'great' wins against the top teams, then cursing how we let Wigan come back into the game etc.

Reg - Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we've looked ahead a couple of times this season saying we have a run of very winnable games where we could find ourselves in a strong position only to fuck it up. We should just take it one game at a time because we're consistently inconsistent!

jump%20for%20joy.gif CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!!!jump%20for%20joy.gif

I'm sorry67.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Turning point in the season, what in like a sort of Kevin Brock backpass type of way?, In all honesty, and maybe I've been feeling somewhat pessimistic of late, and not just with soccer, but I do feel next summer will represent our 17th year without a piece of silverware

Granted, Tamworth in the third round should be as safe as houses you would think, but what after that, do you feel hand on heart this current Everton team can win next years competition, we went a long way in 2009 and beat some big names on route but were beaten fair and square by the eventual winners, 1995 was kind of similar to what we have now, but the main factor is manager, I feel Royle was able to get results that time out and the dogs of war approach saw us lift our last trophy but with Moyes I dont really feel any duplication of that, we may well get to another final again like two years ago but it's fairly certain a heavyweight will be waiting in the opposite corner and as much as I'd love to see some success again I really don't know if we'd be able to pull if off on the day, I'd don't have the same faith in Moyes I once had, I'd love to be proved wrong and eggs on face etc and I'd be the first one to stand up and hold my hands up and admit I got it wrong

As for the league, currently right in mid table and nearly 10 points off a Euro berth, that's a lot of ground to make up and teams above will be picking up points too as the season goes on, although we do have games in hand on some other challengers, furthermore there's that certain inability to kill off games against weaker opposition particularly at home that will always come to the fore, if we want to be challenging for UEFA cup places then it's imperative we should be beating the likes of Stoke and Norwich on home ground and not coming up short, the team can play when it wants to, but as said before by others, the team is too inconsistent and that will prove costly in the long run. I wish I could be more hopeful but that's how I see it.

I've not been onto the site for a while but glad to be back.

Lets face it we have been pretty dire all season to the point where I beleive that our best form of the season (however modest that form may prove) is still to come. Given that we are 10th tonight if we can beat Bolton then there is reason to beleive that a top 7 finish is achievable. Of course, we're all desperate for a decent cup run to go with it.

If this season we finished top 8 and before May we also give a few more games to the likes of Barkley, Vellios, Gueye and McAleny then maybe the real benefits of the season will be felt in the season or two ahead. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the financial situation we are where we are and development of the young players is essential to at least keep our place as the respected member of English top flight football that we are seen as. Onwards and upwards.