IGNORED

Drenthe: Everton need to decide if they want me

Louis

From Barclays Premier League World:

"I'm on loan at the moment but I'm free after this year so Everton have to make a decision about what they can and what they want to do with me.

I'm always hoping to talk to them because I like to be here and it feels like home. I think that our crowd is with us. I think that I can show the best of me."

A bit later he said:

It's like a family here, I'm really happy to be here and I hope I can enjoy it until the end of the year.

if moyes decides to keep him can he sign some sort of pre contract and sign on for a free at the end of the season? or do we need to buy him for cheap in this window?

I think this could possibly be the issue. I think for players 24 and under, if you sign them on a Pre contract agreement, then you have to pay compensation to the club the player is signed to. I'm not sure how the compensation is worked out though.

I think this could possibly be the issue. I think for players 24 and under, if you sign them on a Pre contract agreement, then you have to pay compensation to the club the player is signed to. I'm not sure how the compensation is worked out though.

He's 25 in April - don't know if that makes a difference?

Moyes needs to get him signed. He's been our best player this season and about half of the goals weve scored hes been bloody involved in. On top of that hes bearly had any starts. We need to sign him, even if we dont keep him we could flog him for quite a bit if hes on a 4 or 5 year contact.

I'll go against popular opinion on this onel; I don't want us to sign him. He just runs into the opposition players too often for me.

Ronaldo did the same when he joined utd with all his step overs. Hes still young and can learn. As a freebee hes a great acquisition, and could be sold on for good money if nothing else.

The type of player that he is, if every game he played was as good as he can be he would be player of the year and he certainly wouldn't be here on a loan.

Plenty of potential with that lad, yeah he wasn't quite at it today but that's what you get with those types of players. Sign him on a free.

I agree with Haf, he certainly has faults and Moyes may or may not be able to get that out of him BUT he is the one and only player in the Everton squad that can come on and win us a game, after all he has single handedly won us several points this season.

It certainly depends on his wage demands but provided they are reasonable we would be unbelievably stupid to him go when he is free. A similar unreliable player, with less game changing potential would cost us upwards of 5mil which we don't have!

Drenthe had a poor game against Villa (could substituting him be a ploy to lower his price?) Anyway he is inconsistant, but not as inconsistant as some of the donkey's out there. I like him and would be happy to sign him on a permanent deal. He has done well for us and could be a good member of our squad for a few years to come... if we get him.

I have watched as many games and as much footage as I can, but it could be argued that he is much better on the right than on the left, for players who like taking chances and going for glory cutting in on your stronger foot puts you in the best position to shoot; on your stronger foot, at a diagonal to the goal to give you maximum range, at a distance where you can apply some power. He scored a great goal against Fulham following that pattern and set up Osman's much the same way against Norwich.

That being said he should still be capable on the left and it didn't look like he had many ideas there today. Either way though this is Drenthe's first Premier League season, he is young, athletic, powerful, fast and skillful. Plus the balance of our team this season has been way off with a total lack of creative players, and Drenthe to his credit has tried at least to bear that burden where he could.

After losing Pienaar, we still had enough to finish the season strongly. Arteta going as well though has exposed a fragility to us, whilst in the past we managed to keep the quality while changing personnel, this year we have lost too many faces and not replaced them. Whether or not Drenthe is good enough in some eyes, to me, his 100% necessary to keep us going forward. For a free, this would be insane to give up. Gibson coming could be a bargain, I'm willing to bet also that with the national incentive as well he'll want to play as good as he can as often as possible. However, by the time rodwell is back and up to fitness it won't really matter. Drenthe though is a player that is hard to get for cheap, the potential for profit is huge, and the potential for him to do well for us is also too much to miss out on.

I don't really pay attention to the rumours of he and Moyes, but from what I can tell about what people say of him, he seems like a character, something we definitely need as well, if all that was left was Neville to rally the troops we may as well wear the Salvation Army uniform as our home kitdry.png

i like the balance him and donovan offer the team..today in the first half we looked good and dangerous...two fast wingers make all the difference..and as you said cutting in if they swap is equally as dangerous..drenthe done it a couple of times and donovan from the left made the goal today..i try not to get excited about everton nowadays cos there isn't much but them two could be the difference over the next couple of months