IGNORED

UEFA Euro 2012

UEFA-2012-logo.png

Well I've had a look around ToffeeTalk and there is no thread about the upcoming European Championships so I thought I'd start one myself! The European Championships plays second fiddle to the World Cup for us English but nevertheless it's still a great occassion. I think that this year we've got ourselves into a tricky little group but one which is in no means impossible, we've managed to escape from the group of death and I see no reason why we can't reach the Quarters/Semis this year and make up for our shocking display in South Africa.

The tournement kicks off on the 8th June and will come to a close on the 1st July, just in time for the Olympics. There are 16 strong teams all fighting for the trophy and this will be the last time that this is the case, for the next Euro's held in 2016 (in France) there will be 24 teams meaning that Wales might get to qualify.

Stick your predictions, questions and news in here! Let's get excited!

Group A:

Poland, Greece, Russia, Czech

Group B:

Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal

Group C:

Italy, Spain, Ireland, Croatia

Group D:

Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Edited by Zoo

I can see Germany sweeping all before them out the way!

Germany and Spain are the only two teams to have qualified by winning every single game. The Netherlands are just behind them as they won all their games bar one against Sweden (lost 3-2) so those three teams are the ones to watch out for. I don't think you can rule out the World and European Champions from having success again though, they have looked unstoppable over the past couple of years...

Netherlands to win it if RVP and Robben are fit. England will have a chance if Gerrard and Lampard don't play together

Due to his injury Gerrard hasn't been in the England team and I hope to got he dosen't get re-called because we have played so much better without him. If Gerrard and Lampard play together then we will have a repeat of South Africa and end up embarrasing ourselves in front of Europe. I just hope Capello has the balls to pick the team he wants rather than the team the press wants.

I just hope Capello has the balls to pick the team he wants rather than the team the press wants.

This is our biggest downfall regardless of who is at the helm it remains a common trait I think it just shows how much sway the men behind the scenes have or we would have had a no nonsense manager in a long time ago with a team 99% of people can see is better then what shite we've seen.

I've always seen this as a huge incentive to blood youth in and we have a pool of young players now that could well outplay the old crop given some time.

Scott Parker would be my "old head" in the middle of the park and the likes of Lampard Gerrard and for christ sake Barry can watch from home for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsene Wenger has been named as a candidate for the French job once the current manager Laurent Blanc leaves. It's becoming more and more clear that his future is not with Arsenal and I do wonder whether this job would interest him (after all he is French) and whether having him as France's manager would be a good thing.

I'm unsure how he would fare being an international manager as its a totally different ball game to the Premiership but I guess only time will tell should he be selected.

What are your thoughts?

Article: (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/05/2887548/france-want-arsenals-arsene-wenger-to-take-over-from-laurent)

• 4 weeks later...

EURO-2012-adidas-match-ball-Tango-12.jpg

Seeing as there is loads of talk about the Olympics football here is the European one that will be used for the upcoming Euro 2012. It's not as bad as the one that they will use for the Olympics in my opinion but it could still do with a bit of 'a jazz up'

Edited by Zoo

• 1 month later...

I'm taking a vacation this summer when the action's underway. Easter Island sounds intriguing, anywhere where I can get away from 'football' in general, not really one for international tournaments, it's fucking awful being in this country during contests with media, flags, radio, TV, people etc all over you like a swarm and with it, a team you have no interest in, in your face 24 hours a day it can sometimes seem ,while it's underway. Just not for me. I can live without that.

Guest Nikica

Ahh, was gonna make a Euros thread, didn't realise there was already one waiting to be bumped.

Here's my early predictions on who will finish where in each group (ordered top to bottom):

A: Russia, Poland, Czech Rep, Greece

B Germany, Holland, Denmark, Portugal

C: Spain, Italy, Croatia, Eire

D: France, Ukraine, England, Sweden

I fancy the hosts to do quite well, even though they're weaker than other teams in their sections on paper.

I do think Greece will be the whipping boys of A, their football is absolutely dire and has been since the Euros they won. They keep getting decent qualification groups because Euro 2004 led to an easy qualifying group and it's been a domino effect since then.

At this early stage, I think Denmark will finish above Portugal. They've had their number in the qualifiers and Denmark generally do okay in big tournaments. Holland and Germany could go either way but I will back the latter to finish top (I fancy Mario Gomez for the golden boot).

I think Spain will win C, but Italy and Croatia will have a major fight for second place, with the Italians pipping the Croatians. Eire have that fighting spirit, but they lack any real quality to do well in that difficult group.

I think England will flatter to deceive again. France look to have sorted themselves out. They have a young team and good coach and are on a good run of results. I think if England go into the final game against the hosts needing anything they will be on dangerous ground. Sweden are a decent team and I would fancy them to finish above the Ukraine generally, but I think hosting advantages will be massive for the latter.

Edited by Nikica

I couldn't understand the English whooping and puching the air when the draw was made, the awful fucking Capello (now departed) was smiling like a cheshire cat and seemed very pleased about it all.

Point being, France are no pushovers, they have a very good side and are a powerhouse of world soccer, they (England) never even managed to beat Sweden from 1968 until last year (and that was a meaningless friendly) and Ukraine as joint hosts speaks for itself.

They've got a difficult few games and they must know it.

Guest Nikica

I couldn't understand the English whooping and puching the air when the draw was made, the awful fucking Capello (now departed) was smiling like a cheshire cat and seemed very pleased about it all.

Point being, France are no pushovers, they have a very good side and are a powerhouse of world soccer, they (England) never even managed to beat Sweden from 1968 until last year (and that was a meaningless friendly) and Ukraine as joint hosts speaks for itself.

They've got a difficult few games and they must know it.

I agree. I thought at the time it was more a case of being happy to avoid Groups B and C than actually thinking they had a good draw. It's easier, but still difficult. It's certainly a challenging group for anyone who knows their international football.

Do you honestly think Capello was awful? I agree he made some shocking mistakes, especially in South Africa, but he's still generally considered one of the world's top coaches, and when you look at the alternativees (Stuart Pearce and Harry Redknapp) he's by far the best option.

You're new here and all so may well have missed anything colorful I had to say about Capello when in charge, I couldn't stand the fucker, and was a massive relief when he left. dry.png

Maybe you don't get it so much (England media hype I mean) north of the border but in this country whenever the team played or there was the slightest bit of news with internationals, that boring old cunt would always be associated in some way, on the back of newspapers, TV, radio, you name it, he was there.. there seemed no escape sometimes.dry.png

What was it, some twenty million pounds he got for his time, did absolutely nothing of note in his time except having appeared at every live game he could get a free lunch out of, or seeing his damn face coming at you what seemed like 24/7. Actually I don't wish to talk about this individual any longer, he's out of the picture, all fine and dandy, move on etc. That £20 million could have gone to third world countries or something much more deserving, but that's all I wish to say on it, I never liked him much. Moving on.

Guest Nikica

You're new here and all so may well have missed anything colorful I had to say about Capello when in charge, I couldn't stand the fucker, and was a massive relief when he left. dry.png

Maybe you don't get it so much (England media hype I mean) north of the border but in this country whenever the team played or there was the slightest bit of news with internationals, that boring old cunt would always be associated in some way, on the back of newspapers, TV, radio, you name it, he was there.. there seemed no escape sometimes.dry.png

What was it, some twenty million pounds he got for his time, did absolutely nothing of note in his time except having appeared at every live game he could get a free lunch out of, or seeing his damn face coming at you what seemed like 24/7. Actually I don't wish to talk about this individual any longer, he's out of the picture, all fine and dandy, move on etc. That £20 million could have gone to third world countries or something much more deserving, but that's all I wish to say on it, I never liked him much. Moving on.

I get what you are saying to be honest. His stubbornness and error-making during the World Cup was shocking. His persistence with the archaic 442 formation was always going to cost England. It's also unforgivable that he never learned to speak English properly. However, he still has a reputation as a top coach, and when you look at the alternatives, the grass isn't exactly greener is it? Redknapp and Pearce are far inferior coaches to Capello.

Had England had the chance to ditch Capello and bring in someone like Hiddink or Bielsa, it would be a completely different story. I just think losing a manager so close to a tournament when the alternatives are much worse, is to the country's detriment.

Guest Nikica

Create a league(any site but the S*n) and post the a link. Should be a few willing.

I'd never use the Sun, bunch of utter cunts, with or without what they've done to Merseyside.

There's the official UEFA site, and some of the broadsheets might be doing some free ones (they're cunts as well to a degree, but at least they aren't the Sun).

the UEFA one would be best. I have already tried picking a provisional team, values are making it hard.

I will see if there's any more interest then create the league if so.

Guest Nikica

just pop a thread in the fantasy league section and i'm sure you will get some takers...a lot of the boys round here do it..i might have a pop although it isn't my thing as i'm always wank at them laugh.png

Hahaha.

Cheers. I will post there later.

Not one for politics, would someone care to explain what this Tymoshenkho hunger strike is all about and how it's affecting the Euro 2012? Like I said I'm not one for politics (even in this country) so I'm not well up on it, I personally though find it hard to understand why FIFA allow tournements to be held in poor countries as it seems that most of the time the poor that live in them suffer.

UEFA chose Ukraine and Poland, not FIFA. Michel Platini has always maintained that UEFA should be apolitical.

Tymoshenko is the former president of Ukraine who was jailed because the she was considered to have abused her position in office when negotiating a gas deal in 2009. That's literally it, no more details. The reason for her imprisonment is because of "abuse of power". When in jail she claims to have been beaten by guards (pictures have been posted online) and she's gone on hunger strike.

It's caused a schism politically and there are protests for and against her release.

I meant to say UEFA (apologies) but that is pretty messed up. Thanks for explaining and I can see now why it's causing so much uproar, I'm guessing that these games could be remembered for all the wrong reasons. I'm guessing we will see a few protests in the stands whilst the games are being played.