IGNORED

UEFA Euro 2012

What a dull 45 minutes, good to see that England are winning but not much to write about is there. Young's goal was really well taken and I actually thought that he'd taken on some semi-pro Norweigian bloke the way he made him fall over the place (I was actually shocked that he managed to put Hangeland on his arse so easily) and his finish was superb.

Carroll is doing alright but his miss before Young's goal was poor. Gerrard is playing shite although I can't see what the fuss is over his tackle, it was a bit meaty but he took the ball and won it well. I don't really see why everyone's jumping on his back over it if I'm being honest, Jagileka has looked shakey at times but looks to have Lescott over his shoulder to mop up. Baines isn't creative enough but thats due to Downing in front of him being fucking useless and Green is doing well considering the shadows of 2010 still looming.

All in all good performance - just poor to watch.

What a dull 45 minutes, good to see that England are winning but not much to write about is there. Young's goal was really well taken and I actually thought that he'd taken on some semi-pro Norweigian bloke the way he made him fall over the place (I was actually shocked that he managed to put Hangeland on his arse so easily) and his finish was superb.

Carroll is doing alright but his miss before Young's goal was poor. Gerrard is playing shite although I can't see what the fuss is over his tackle, it was a bit meaty but he took the ball and won it well. I don't really see why everyone's jumping on his back over it if I'm being honest, Jagileka has looked shakey at times but looks to have Lescott over his shoulder to mop up. Baines isn't creative enough but thats due to Downing in front of him being fucking useless and Green is doing well considering the shadows of 2010 still looming.

All in all good performance - just poor to watch.

Have you ever played football? He's dived in the air and went right through him studs first.

If he had stayed on the floor it would have been a fair challenge, but saying that, they'd be less momentum and he'd of got no where near the ball.

I think it's been shite. A lot of poor performances by the England lot.

Downing still shite.

Milner, horrific.

Carroll is a better CB.

Jones has looked lost at times.

Baines hasn't been allowed to go forward at all.

Youngs fighting a losing battle.

Lescott looks steady.

Glad Gerrards off, he was wank.

ITV really really don't have a fucking clue. Great team performance so far? Dick off, it's been poor at best.

Have you ever played football? He's dived in the air and went right through him studs first.

If you've read any of my previous posts you will know that I have played football at a high level. The challenge was meaty I'll agree but people are making out that it was straight out of Joey Barton's book, he took the ball to be fair to him and won it well, the fact that it was Gerrard makes me believe that people are looking for things to moan about.

If you've read any of my previous posts you will know that I have played football at a high level. The challenge was meaty I'll agree but people are making out that it was straight out of Joey Barton's book, he took the ball to be fair to him and won it well, the fact that it was Gerrard makes me believe that people are looking for things to moan about.

If someone done that to you in a game wouldnt you go Joey Barton on them? As personally I've flipped on team mates for challenges like that. He's in the air and has no control over his challenge, then carried through with his studs. I'm all for win the ball take the man, but not like that Neville on Ronaldo is how its done fairly or Hibberts(when he's won the ball first like).

Edited by pete0

Hibbert would never get in ahead of Richards Pete?

Richards cant defend, only good at bombing forward. Richards with Walcott right hand side would be a blessing to the opposition. Hibbert's been the best rb in the league this season imo.

Edited by pete0

martin kelly in tonight so he'll be ahead of hibbert too

I like Kelly but his form was terrible at the end of the season, not ready for international football. Hibbert has earned the opportunity, but the England set up doesnt seem to use the merit system.

Hibbert would get absolutely mauled at international level, he should never, ever be considered for England.

When we're attacking the Park End I have the pleasure of having him right infront of me and the amount of times he completely leaves his man is criminal. Often he actually looks over his shoulder and sees his man and STILL walks away from him. The only quality thing about him is his tackling, and those tackles have to be put in due to his own ineptitude most of the time.

No, Tony Hibbert playing for England would be an embarrassment despite him being an improved player in recent years.

Shit match, england as predictable as ever, too score 1 and sit back for the rest of the game reminded me of us a little, like marco says, Downing and Milner offer very little imo, Carroll actually did ok, Phil Jones is not quit international level imo, and i think we will be on our way home before Rooney even gets in the team tbh.

Edited by theprisoner

Northcroft’s Match of the Week: England v Belgium

sport-byline_david_m_29375a.gif

WE’VE JUST seen an incredible Champions League final and an incredible climax to the Premier League. The way this season has been going, will it be tied up by the ultimate story, an unfancied England team winning Euro 2012?

There’s more calmness than usual, going into a tournament, on England’s chances. I’m not hearing the old triumphal calls or hyping of the players. That might help. England have always travelled to finals with good squads and been unable to win but I reckon, this time, with the pressure off, the players will be thinking: “You never know...”

In their minds will be Chelsea in Munich, Manchester City winning the Premier League in stoppage time; it will seem to them that 2012 is the year anything is possible.

Of course, the problem is that other teams will arrive in Poland and Ukraine even more full of positive thoughts. I’ve been speaking to Johnny Heitinga, and Holland fancy themselves, the way the Dutch do. They’re in a really tough group with Germany, Portugal and Denmark, but they’re my tip to be champions. Most people fancy Germany or Spain but I’ve a sneaky feeling that the time is right for Holland.

They have Robin van Persie — arguably the best striker at the tournament — in the form of his life. Then there’s Rafael van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben; you look at their attacking creativity and think they’ll be difficult to overcome. In the forward positions even the less glamorous players are excellent. There’s Dirk Kuyt, of course, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Luciano Narsingh, a left-winger who’s had a great season for Heerenveen. And there’s Ibrahim Afellay. I was trying to sign him in 2010 but he had such a good World Cup that Barcelona came in.

Bert van Marwijk is an experienced coach. Their keepers are good, the midfield options solid. If the Dutch have one weakness it might be that they’re short at centre-half — apart from Johnny — though the Dutch style means they use their centre-halves to start the play as much as to defend.

spo27_football1_270297a.jpg

Van Marwijk can call on most of the group who nearly won the World Cup two years ago. It’s hard to say exactly what “tournament mentality” is, but you know it when you see it and Holland had it in South Africa: efficient in games, play, get the result, on to the next match.

Tournament mentality is the thing England have lacked. With other countries it just seems to run smoother. That doesn’t mean the players all get on with each other, or never feel frustrations, but there’s less drama. They treat the tournament like a club trip, as if the normal season has just been extended by a few weeks and they’re there to do a job.

Tournament mentality is something the Dutch had to acquire after problems in their camps. If Holland can, England can — and Roy Hodgson, who took Switzerland to a World Cup, knows what mindset is required. Germany, of course, are famed for their mentality and I might have put them ahead of Holland as favourites before the Champions League final raised doubts. Bayern Munich have eight men in the Germany squad, most of them starters. No country draws more key players from a single club.

Yet after watching last weekend’s final, I just wondered if maybe those Bayern players didn’t look invincible any more. It’s true, though, that the Germans also have Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira, Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose. To their World Cup squad they have added some young players I admire from Borussia Dortmund, the likes of Mario Götze and Mats Hummels.

There’s a feeling Spain aren’t as good as they once were but I can’t agree. They’re a little superior to everyone else, in terms of talent. My reservation is that it’s been a long three or four years for those players, especially the Real Madrid and Barcelona guys. They’ve been playing 50-60 games a season for their clubs, fighting tooth and nail in La Liga, getting to the final or semi-finals of every cup they enter, playing in World Club Cups and Super Cups.

On top of that, at international level they’ve played in World Cup finals, Euro finals, qualifiers, Confederations Cups and friendlies in countries such as Venezuela, Costa Rica and Mexico. It’s been a heavy, heavy schedule and I just wonder at the end of it all whether those Real and Barça players — among whom there is tension — really want to come together again.

I also worry for Spain in terms of goalscoring, in David Villa’s absence and with Fernando Torres in a trough. Even peaking, as they did at the World Cup, they weren’t winning 3-1, 4-0 — they won every single knockout game 1-0.

spo27_englandscount_270296a.jpg

Because England beat Spain at Wembley, Chelsea beat Barça and because Pep Guardiola, the architect of so much, has quit there’s a feeling that a golden Spanish era is ending, that they do not strike fear in the hearts of their opponents — though anybody who beats them will have to be exceptional on the day.

The assumption is England must win their group to avoid Spain in the quarter-finals but I’m not so sure; the Spanish have a habit of starting tournaments slowly and could finish second in Group C, behind Italy. The Italians are also contenders.

There were signs in the way Juventus played in Serie A and in the Champions League performances of Napoli and AC Milan — who almost beat Barcelona, not playing the Chelsea way but with a high-pressing and attack-minded game — that Italian football is on the up again.

It points to a difficult tournament for Ireland, who are in the same group as Italy, Spain and Croatia. The Croats, in Slaven Bilic’s last finals, could be dark horses, with their squad refreshed by the emergence of Nikica Jelavic and Wolfsburg’s dangerous striker Mario Mandzukic. History suggests that the European Championship is a tournament for dark horses.

Can England be one? Like Greece in 2004, Denmark in 1992? I feel Roy has at least done everything to give them a chance. His squad is nicely balanced between senior players and some of the youngsters everyone wants to see. I like the selections of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Andy Carroll. Both are the kind of fresh, unpredictable types who opponents won’t know much about and who can make an impact at a tournament.

My one disappointment is that Phil Jagielka is only on the stand-by list. When I had Jags and Joleon Lescott at Everton I felt I had the next England centre-back partnership on my hands — and I still see them as such. Jags’ speed and recovery abilities give him something different from England’s other defenders.

spo27_football2_270304a.jpg

I like the look of Roy’s backroom staff, especially Gary Neville. At Everton, his brother Phil has been really good with the mechanics of what needs to happen behind the scenes — socially, in the dressing room — to bring a group of players together and achieve results. Gary will also have a good smell for that.

The decision to cancel the training camp in Spain and give players extra rest is clever and the best thing that Roy has done is to give Wayne Rooney time off. At the end of a Premier League season, players need a break and Wayne has gone away, is having his holiday and mentally he’ll have no reason not to feel as fresh as he possibly can be. That’s especially important since he’s going to have to go to the tournament and sit on the sidelines for the first two matches.

What position England will be in when he returns for the final Group D match with Ukraine is difficult to gauge. We’ve seen Roy’s new England in only one friendly. But we’ve also witnessed Chelsea’s miracle in Munich and City on the final day, and we know this season has been incredible. Could there be one more unbelievable English fairytale?

spo27_groupdlaunche_270305a.jpg