IGNORED

England

On 24/06/2018 at 22:55, MikeO said:

Quite honestly one of my favourite ever summer's... I recall it being sunny.

Watching matches in the pub - 20 years old... had just started doing weights and shedding puppy fat = interest from opposite sex.

seemingly endless days drinking outdoors where £20 could pay for a full night out. Pubs were thriving - none of this coke head culture, people sat outside drinking and enjoying footy talk. 

Music was good... Britpop era, transpotting soundtrack, bluetones, dodgy, pulp, Everton had not long won FA cup and looked to be emerging from the shite of Mike walkers reign under Joe royle.

I'll be honest the noughties and teens have had nothing to define them... think of 60's 70's 80's 90's..... you could identify them with music and fashion pretty easily. All I can think of is Beyonce and shit that I don't listen to like adele.... it's been like 15+ years of same bland shite. 

I was a baby in the 70's but from what I can see it was a great time to be a teenager. 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Having been born in 1960 I can vouch for that!

Is this summer shaping up to be like the one of 76?

Curremtly Sat in Alicante airport on way home... struggled to get transport from resort but a bloke i got talking to over the past week (one of wolves top boys over the 80's... naughty sort) gave me a contact.... up turns Dennis a Dutchman.... start talking to him in the car and it turns out he was an Ajax top boy from last 30 years....  bloody nora.

Before I start - let me make it clear I have no time for hooliganism. It ruined our chances of winning the European cup and is a stain on the game. I even said that to the wolves bloke. 

The odd thing is these blokes were alright...not Danny dyer I wanna be hard blah blah blah let's get chucked out by stewards.  Essentially their code is - meet up miles away, have a tear up and go the match. Their football knowledge was impressive... they were articulate. Crazy that they did what they did. 

The Dutch fella was something else.... absolutely hilarious.  Great with my kids, he's a granddad in his 50's and looks like marius podrowski the world strong man.  He said we need to stick with klassen- he will be great in a footballing side.  Brands is an organisation genius. 

I guess the thing is if you try not to judge people and talk to them without looking like you are looking down your nose you get a bit of insight. I fancy being an investigative journalist ...

Having looked at the draw in detail what I want tomorrow is: England play really well and are unlucky to come away with just a draw, yellow cards turn out to be equal so we go to the drawing of lots and we lose. Confidence remains high but we get an "easier" run.

Can't believe I'm actually getting a bit excited by this now:). Be good to see Jordan getting involved a bit more now, as he obviously will be.

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Having looked at the draw in detail what I want tomorrow is: England play really well and are unlucky to come away with just a draw, yellow cards turn out to be equal so we go to the drawing of lots and we lose. Confidence remains high but we get an "easier" run.

Can't believe I'm actually getting a bit excited by this now:). Be good to see Jordan getting involved a bit more now, as he obviously will be.

Mike no no where's your fight gone let's smash Belgium and do it the hard way the English way, never look for the easy option that simply will not do my friend we are English we are warriors and we fear no path we tread it's in our history it's in our genes.

Sorry got carried away a bit there like yourself Mike getting quite excited😁

Half of England and Belgium want their teams to lose :D

I think winning is the best option. England and Belgium are qualified and will face whatever comes out of Group H in the round of 16. No matter which team finishes first or second, England and Belgium are favorites to win their round of 16 games. Then, if you lost today, you will probably face Switzerland in the QF. If you won today, you're likely to face Brazil. What would you rather have: face Brazil as an unbeaten team or face Switzerland with a loss under your belt? If you win from Switzerland (or Sweden) you will go on to face either Spain or Croatia and I would NOT want to face Croatia, knowing I lost to Belgium/England. At this point, you have to take it from game to game, you can't afford to have your eyes on the finals. I'd say: whoever you root for tonight, better hope for a win.

ILooking at the draw in more detail now we know most of the teams and I'm not sure there is a lot in it. 

The big teams left (Brazil, France, Agentina, Portugal, Spain) have all scraped through against modest opposition. The next bests are arguably Croatia - my main team to avoid - and Mexico although Mexico were stuffed yesterday by Sweden who should probably have won the group easier considering the Germany game. 

At the moment I would go with the view of whichever route avoids Columbia in the round of 16. Well assuming Columbia play like they have been and not like they have so far against Senegal (who lack any quality!).

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We’re making 8 changes with only Lingard, Stones and Pickford keeping their places apparently. 

I understand the strategy if true, but I still feel it's pretty disrespectful to the competition. I'm sure Belgium will do the same thing though.

Sure, you'll have the potential of playing a weaker opponent in the next round, but eventually you'll have to play one of the better teams. Why not keep your core together in order to build more chemistry?

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

I understand the strategy if true, but I still feel it's pretty disrespectful to the competition. I'm sure Belgium will do the same thing though.

Sure, you'll have the potential of playing a weaker opponent in the next round, but eventually you'll have to play one of the better teams. Why not keep your core together in order to build more chemistry?

Just my opinion.

I agree but the counter argument is that if Kane (for example) were to play and get Fellainied so he was out for the duration the manager would be crucified for playing him in a "dead" game.

I think he trusts those players to go out there and do the business and based on what I have seen from England and Belgium I would expect a changed England side to be more gelled than a changed Belgium side, especially such an ordinarh Belgium side as that.

Just now, MikeO said:

:D

I'm warming to the prospect of losing; what odds a Belgium/England final? Be interesting to see how the first elevens matched up.

I told my friends ahead of the WC that I'd maybe predict a France - England final. Like this, it seams plausible, cause if England loses, they're on the other side of the bracket from France.