Cats vs Dogs

Matt

Which are better  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Cat or Dog

• Dogs
    • Cats

• 8 months later...

Had to take Coco to the vets today she hadn't been looking to happy since yesterday, got the sad news that she has a growth about the size of a tennis ball attached to her Spleen. She has a big operation tomorrow to remove the growth and spleen, I will stay up with her tonight to help make her feel a bit more comfortable as she's in a fair bit of pain and struggling to settle. Keep fingers crossed for her please folks she is a beautiful dog with a really fantastic personality, she's only turned 8 this month and I was looking forward to another 4-5 years with her. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Had to take Coco to the vets today she hadn't been looking to happy since yesterday, got the sad news that she has a growth about the size of a tennis ball attached to her Spleen. She has a big operation tomorrow to remove the growth and spleen, I will stay up with her tonight to help make her feel a bit more comfortable as she's in a fair bit of pain and struggling to settle. Keep fingers crossed for her please folks she is a beautiful dog with a really fantastic personality, she's only turned 8 this month and I was looking forward to another 4-5 years with her. 

Good luck mate. Douggie drives me nuts but can't imagine life without him

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Good luck mate. Douggie drives me nuts but can't imagine life without him

Thanks mate, she's been in the operating theatre since 10:45 not heard anything yet so working on the premise no news is good news, but was told could possibly be a 3 hour operation. The house feels strangely empty without her here. 

Just thought I would let you know Coco made it through the op which took over 3 hours, she's making a good recovery and may possibly be home tomorrow if all goes well tonight. Then the long wait to see where her spleen was full cancer, hopefully it will prove to be benign, and I can then concentrate on what I need to do when looking after a dog without a spleen, because when humans lose their spleen it's quite a big deal. Any how appreciate you listening to me, it's been good to talk and has helped me move forward. 👍

Just now, Palfy said:

Just thought I would let you know Coco made it through the op which took over 3 hours, she's making a good recovery and may possibly be home tomorrow if all goes well tonight. Then the long wait to see where her spleen was full cancer, hopefully it will prove to be benign, and I can then concentrate on what I need to do when looking after a dog without a spleen, because when humans lose their spleen it's quite a big deal. Any how appreciate you listening to me, it's been good to talk and has helped me move forward. 👍

Great news that she came through the op, Palf.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Hope she is home and recovering now. 

She is thanks mate, picked her up earlier  today from the hospital for pets believe it or not, she was transferred there yesterday after the op from the vets, £351.00 for the night with breakfast scandalous, could have had a day and night all inclusive in a beach villa for 2 in the Maldives for that. Back to the vets tomorrow morning for check up and some advice for the next few weeks of her treatment and recovery, then fingers crossed all should be good 🙏

• 8 months later...
On 28/12/2022 at 22:51, Palfy said:

It’s with great sadness that I tell you I lost my best friend today, Coco lost her fight with cancer and was peacefully put to sleep at home this morning. 

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

What timing for this thread to pop back up. I'm currently looking to adopt a dog for the first time. Lots of tricky things about dog owning. Can be very expensive, flying with them (as I'm back and forth between Minnesota and NYC somewhat frequently.)

I almost adopted a mini labradoodle this week, but upon doing some digging into the "shelter", found that there's plenty of reports about it being a less than reputable organization. I don't see too many shelters who somehow have all these litters of designer breeds like cockapoos and labradoodles. 

So I'm going to an adoption event next weekend. Adopt a Pet are waving their adoption fees here in NYC for the month of October due to such overcrowding at shelters, so I'm hoping to find my perfect buddy 🥰

Very glad that you're considering a rescue from a shelter. Around here, they are overwhelmed right now, and many dogs/puppies are having to be put down. We adopted a puppy about three months ago, and I was more careful this time around from where we adopted. I took the time to study online all shelters within two hours' drive, and ended up very much respecting a small shelter in east Alabama. They are a no-kill facility, they receive no state funding, but they do a superb job and people travel from other states to rescue dogs from there. I've found myself donating food etc. to them even after adopting. I'm sure there are plenty of similar humane societies where you live.

13 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Very glad that you're considering a rescue from a shelter. Around here, they are overwhelmed right now, and many dogs/puppies are having to be put down. We adopted a puppy about three months ago, and I was more careful this time around from where we adopted. I took the time to study online all shelters within two hours' drive, and ended up very much respecting a small shelter in east Alabama. They are a no-kill facility, they receive no state funding, but they do a superb job and people travel from other states to rescue dogs from there. I've found myself donating food etc. to them even after adopting. I'm sure there are plenty of similar humane societies where you live.

Here's our Piran shortly after he was spotted in a roadside ditch and taken to the humane society. When rescued, he was so weak he couldn't even stand, apparently.

UxbgxEN.jpg

And here he is just eight weeks later...

1tnANB5.jpg

Now he's doubled his weight since adoption and continues to grow. It turns out his mother is a pedigree Dalmatian, while his father is a total mutt (discovered after using Wisdom Panel). Clearly, a breeder got a shock when a litter was born that was not 100 percent Dalmatian puppies and quickly dumped them before anyone found out. (The American Kennel Club recognizes pedigree puppies from a mother's first two litters only, so the owners probably hid what happened so they wouldn't lose many thousands of dollars.)

• 3 weeks later...