IGNORED

How will Everton do next year?

Season 2012/13  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think Everton will finish next season?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • 13th
    • 14th
    • 15th
    • 16th
    • 17th
    • 18th
    • 19th
    • 20th

4th, optimistic but achievable. Pending a good start, Jela's goals, and more creativity/points from the bench as Rodwell, Barkley, Gueye, and Anichebe try to impress. Think we will pick up more points from last years promoted sides as well as the 3 who have just come up. Think we should get better results against Stoke, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Villa. With the same average against the rest, hopefully we will get enough points to nab a Euro spot.

Moyes showed good signs of change towards the end of last season (subs on earlier, less Jags love, less defenders in midfield, and more balance in attack), and without Cahill and Saha I'm hoping he will change it up more. As it looks like Fellaini will be straight in Cahill's position, but Fellaini offers more all round so would allow us to play with more fluidity in the middle, so gives more options in our style/tempo of play. Moyes' still has his main 2 pieces (Baines and Pienaar) so there's still the danger we will just play down the left which is too predictable and last season teams nullified it.

Edited by pete0

If We finally break the curse of a poor start I think 5th is achievable.

As We all know You'll have the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea vying for the top three spots then I think Arsenal will do quite well with what players they have added so far and possibly more new faces to come then it's Spurs and quite possibly Newcastle who dispite what people say they DO have a very good side.

The shite will be just that....shite! Not added any quality their best defender could be on his way out and a manager who is surely out of his depth!?

I have a great feeling thinking that mob will be pushing for a top ten this time around :)

So for Me pending a better start then usual 5th and a place in Europe could be our's but as they say it's a funny old game so you never really know.

City

Chelsea

United

Arsenal

Everton

Spurs

Newcastle

I'd originally done this, to base my 1st post from.

1. Chelsea if the players gel straight away.

2/3. Man U and City squads don't look much stronger than ours other than fire power, but refs will make sure they get the little help they need.

4. Everton, optimistic but achievable. Pending a good start, Jela's goals, and more creativity/points from the bench as Rodwell, Barkley, Gueye, and Anichebe try to impress. Think we will pick up more points from last years promoted sides as well as the 3 who have just come up.

5. Arsenal, have strengthened the wrong areas and will drop points when Song goes the ACN, likewise when Arteta misses his usual chunk of games.

6. Spurs, dodgy one, they need another striker and I think Bale and Walker struggle against top opposition. Will also miss Ekotto.

7. Southampton, one newbie tends to shine.

8. The Sh*te, struggling to play Rodger's style. Hard to see where the goals will come from, even lower if Gerrard plays every week.

9. Westham, as much as Big Sam's football is rubbish it gets points. 2 places higher if they have Carroll.

10. QPR, have spent a few pennies.

Newcastle will run out of luck, dont see how the article has us at 8th. 7th is the minimum, as long as no one has a freak season like Newcastle last year or Ipswich in the past.

Couple of post highlight the importance of Jelavic, for obvious reasons.If the main players stay fit and the young guns step it up, then a top 6 isn't beyond us.

Why not a decent cup run, no team City Chelsea included will want a game at Goodison.

Over to you Mr Moyes.

Like Romey I have learnt to not even try ans predict what Everton will do because we really are that unpredictable! Although if you look at the league there is a good opportunity this year to try and mix it with some of those at the top.

Man City still look solid and will be title contenders.

Man Utd again look solid but still havent really strengthened in midfield yet and also look weak at the back depending on how well Vidic recovers.

Arsenal again look weak to me, especially if they lose RVP. They were lucky to finish where they did last season IMO.

Chelsea are interesting. No Drogba to rely on anymore, and while Di Matteo won plaudits for their CL success they didnt play that well in the league and I wouldnt be surpriswd if they also struggle.

Spurs have lost Redknapp and will hopefully Modric will go too. If he does they really are in trouble. AVB didnt show any adaption to the EPL while at Chelsea and if tries the same thing at Spurs it wont be long before teams exploit it.

Liverpool & Newcastle could be darkish horses.The former massively underperformed last season and I dont expect the same this year. Their squad is really quite weak but I think Rodgers is a decent manager and it wouldnt surprise me to see them do well, depending on who comes in and on whether their better players stay fit. Newcastle did well last year and it would be easy to dismiss them as one season wonders (so to speak) but they have quality all over the pitch and as long as one of the two African lads up front keep banging in the goals then they could get a step closer this season.

Outside of those, Stoke will keep improving slowly and wont have the distraction of Europe this year, Villa are bound to improve and be in the midtable spots, Sunderland will be challenging for Europa as well under O'Neill, and I think Fulham could do well if they can get someone to put the ball in the back of the net.

As for the promoted teams, I can imagine one of them getting off to a fast start but from what I saw last season Im not sure any of them have the quality to really push the top half. Reading look the most suited to the Premiership in the way they defend & press, and I can see them staying up. Big Sam knows the league inside out and will also give it a good shout, but I fear Soton may struggle as they wont get anywhere near the time & space to play as they did last year and their defence looked very dodgy and slow at times.

Based on our form after January we have a chance of really throwing down a challenge to the top 4 but my worry is that we will start slow again and generally drop points against the teams we should be beating. Fingers crossed for the former but I wont hold my breath.

Edited by Bailey

Man Utd again look solid but still havent really strengthened in midfield yet and also look weak at the back depending on how well Vidic recovers.

Really? Shinji Kagawa is a huge upgrade. At the price he's an absolute steal. But then again, Borussia Dortmund's profit margin of 12-odd million + pounds is ridiculous especially their initial tranfer fee they paid for him (I think it was 350,000 euros?)

Really? Shinji Kagawa is a huge upgrade. At the price he's an absolute steal. But then again, Borussia Dortmund's profit margin of 12-odd million + pounds is ridiculous especially their initial tranfer fee they paid for him (I think it was 350,000 euros?)

They need a right back, left back, and possibly a centre mid if Fletcher doesn't get better as they were missing steal in the middle last season. ATM starting 11 Everton would edge it. They have a better squad and will finish above us, but they won't be challenging for the title unless they bring some more in.

Howard = DeGea

Hibbert > Jones? Heitinga > Rio Distin < Vidic Baines > Evra

Osman < Kagawa Rodwell > Carrick Fellaini > Scholes Pienaar < Nani

Naismith > Welbeck

Jelavic = Rooney (6:3 or if they drop Welbeck for Valencia and play Kagawa behind the striker 5:4.)

He looks a good player but that doesnt mean he will hit the ground running in the Premier League... He could end up being a revelation but at the same time he could end up being moved on again in the next couple of years.

You should try some of them tongue.png, 9th? I struggle to see, who other than the 6 above us (excluding Newcastle), can finish above Everton this season.

Aha, I might. I just think certain factors won't go in our favour.

Personally I think our defence will get chopped and changed throughout the whole season between our 4 lads, leading to a lack cohesion.

I don't Jellyman will be as prolific as he was when he first joined. I say this because;

* Teams will double up on him knowing of his past threat.

* He came in at a time when we had no striking options and he fed off the new found confidence.

* January additions always seem to do well in the first few months and then drop off a little, over a full season.

* He had a point to prove, so probably put in an extra 10/20%.

I don't think our youngsters will be as effective, as we're all hoping they will be. Barkley looks to have taken a step back. Can Rodwell stay fit? Will Duffy start some games? Will Junior not get sent off?

I personally think they league will be tighter than ever this year. We'll see 3 points being the difference between a near 'Europa' finish and Relegation fodder.

And with Mass Expectation again, will the boys be able to handle the pressure? I'm going for a Felli player of the season though. That's my silver lining.

Aha, I might. I just think certain factors won't go in our favour.

Personally I think our defence will get chopped and changed throughout the whole season between our 4 lads, leading to a lack cohesion.

I don't think our youngsters will be as effective, as we're all hoping they will be. Barkley looks to have taken a step back. Can Rodwell stay fit? Will Duffy start some games? Will Junior not get sent off?

They done well at the end of last season, but it makes me uneasy as well. (Moyes don't play Jags-Distinshaking fist.png )

Agree with you on Jela, I'm 60/40 on how his season will go, but hoping for him to finally break the 20 goal land mark for us as it has been far too long. Most of his finishes are one touch so that's leaning me towards him coping well.

The main thing I'm resting our season on is the kids, we don't have a big squad, but looking at the teams above us you need the competition to pull you higher. I think they're capable if the confidence is there, but they may struggle with consistency. Agree on Junior, from the small bits I've seen does look like a red card waiting to happen (maybe a nice 7/2 in-play bet to soften the blow).

Fellaini wub.png scared this will be his last season if we don't qualify for the Champs league, which may be the little extra motivation the team needs.

Think the league will have the top 3, the mini league of 4-6 (7 if a freak team), then the rest (but with its group of un-relegatable teams Stoke, Liverpool, and Villa splattered about).

i'm sayin nothin wink.png

i get your pessimism j..but i think we should do better than 9th..i don't see 8 teams better than us in that league...villa are no longer in the best of the rest group..i see city, utd, arsenal, chelsea, as definites..the rest are up in the air

This is my worry. So many inconsitant results will come around this year, so its hard to figure out where realistically, you can finish. For all we know, as mentioned before, Everton may only need 3 points to gain a CL spot (Struth) but 3 points less, could stick us below midtable? I don't wish to be pessimistic, just uncertain...so lets say my decision to choose 9th was down to being optimistically 'halfway'...;) ahaha.

I think 5th. This'll depend on a few factors:

• How we start the season. I assume the rigours of pre-season mean we should expect we won't get off to a flyer again and run the season as a slightly mis-timed marathon again. If we pick up the pace earlier, then...
  • The performance of "transitional" teams: Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and, to a lesser extent, Villa.
  • If AVB does anything at Spurs, I don't think it'll be from the off. He talked about Chelsea being a "project", so if his outlook and style is generally long-term then we may be able to capitalise on changes.
  • ...which is the same as Liverpool. Rodgers has his very specific style of play and he'll have equally specific players in mind to fit into that. It takes time.
  • Arsenal have made some good signings, but players Wenger brings in tend to start slowly before they fit in and fire.
  • Villa have a really good new manager too and it's difficult to say how quickly he'll make an impact.