IGNORED

Southampton - Home 29th September

Hafnia

It is really frustrating when the team start to take it easy during the game. BUT I can understand it somewhat.

We have a small squad (bigger than we used to have perhaps but still small) We need them to keep as fit as possible. Putting it about can and usually does result in injuries. And if we are to keep up our challenge, injuries we can well do without.

Also, many teams over the years have relaxed a bit when they feel safe and secure. (Maybe not the best idea of course, but it happens)

We tend to presume we take our feet off the gas etc, but there are other factors which prevent us going at full steam for 90 minutes, such as natural stamina, tactical fitness preservation, opponent peformance, injury avoidance, managers orders, adrenalin depletion and so on, and so on.

In a cup final, you would expect 90 minutes of single mindedness and effort, but the league has to be approached with experience and discretion, as there is a long way to go, so you rarely get players putting their bodies at risk needlessly. It's not just a case of switching off.

We're playing well, but let's wait until playing well becomes the norm before expecting even greater things. I'm happy seeing us develop, and excited about many aspects of our current game.

Well, we only bothered to play for about 20-25minutes of the ninety yesterday. But, fuck did we play in that period!

We started off the game very badly, and not just because we conceded after only about 5 minutes. We just weren't on our game in any way, shape or form. We were sluggish to say the least, while Southampton were bright and moving the ball about with ease. They were finding pockets of space between our midfield and defence constantly, and our defence was struggling to cope with Lambert. We were just playing high balls all the time, which went completely against what had given us this good start to the season. Southampton's goal came from a massive fuck up by Howard but they were worthy leaders at that point. After their goal, it took us some time, but we eventually found our feet (and quality football) and we absolutely shit all over them right up until half time. Our football for about 25 minutes is some of the best you're likely to see from any side. It was dripping in class. And Southampton didn't know what had hit them and we mauled them, and really should have got more than three goals we managed to get. There was only one side in the game. It was fantastic to see us have a threat down both sides of the pitch, left AND right. It meant that Southampton couldn't double team anyone and that gave our players a lot more freedom. And Mirallas and Coleman more than took advantage of that. The pair of them tore the Saints full-back a new arsehole, highlighted by the fact that two assists came from that side of the pitch. The first from a bullet cross from Mirallas to set up Osman for our equaliser, and the second from an excellent run by Coleman followed up with an inch perfect cross for Jelavic to put us 3-1 up. Mirallas grabbed himself another assist but that came from him drifting inside and playing a through ball for Jelavic to run on to and smash home. What a tag team those two look like they could become. It wasn't just those two that linked up well though. There was the awesome foursome of Baines, Pienaar, Fellaini and Osman all interlinking down the left. At times I felt like my jaw was hanging open watching them interchange and know exactly what the other is going to do, or know exactly what the other wants them to do. They were toying with Saints, it was like childsplay. I almost felt sorry for them, but then I remembered that I enjoy watching us embarrass sides.

Half time probably came at the wrong time for us, it allowed us to relax and it showed in the second half. I don't have a problem with us relaxing when we've got a good cushion, the top sides do it. However, they relax and still manage to control and dominate the majority of the play. We failed to do that. We were very, very sloppy with the ball. We switched off. We allowed them to gain confidence. And a better side than Southampton would have punished us and may have even gto themselves a point from this game. I think what the second half showed is that we can't afford to let our levels drop. Not because we're not good enough, but I feel that our players need the intensity to keep their minds sharp.

Howard - I have no idea what was going through his mind for their goal, but what a shocking mistake. I think I read that he's been responsible for six of the goals we've conceded this season unsure.png . That's just not good enough and I really think we should be looking to replace him soon, or at least get some proper competition in so that he knows that if he keeps making these sorts of mistakes then he can be replaced.

Coleman - He's the opposite to Hibbert. Where Hibbert's a pretty good defender and has had to work on his attacking play, Coleman is a good attacking player but needs to work on his defending. In the modern game this makes Coleman the more valuable player. And I think Hibbert will find it hard to get back in the side because an attacking right back is even more important to us. We've been crying out for an option down the right and Coleman gives us that in bucketloads. He demonstrated that yesterday because he absolutely terrorised Southampton down their left with his wing partner. His run and cross for Jelavic's second goal were monstrous. A couple of occasions his decision making was suspect but that will come with experience, as will the defensive side of his game I hope.

Jags and Heitinga - I thought we were in for another disastrous defensive showing from our CB's after the opening spell of the game. The pair of them were being bullied by Lambert, Jags didn't seem to have his bearings at all (at one point he tried to step up to play offside despite being able to see that Heitinga was behind him!), and Heitinga got absolutely left for dead by Rodriguez. But I thought as the game went on they improved a lot, and the understanding between them looked to be returning. Plus, having someone back there in Heitinga who can play the ball out was priceless and it also stopped Jags from launching ball too.

Baines - If the journalists, media muppets, and fans of every other club got to witness the treat of watching this man play week in week out there's no way they'd consider ArseCole to be the better of the two. All of the reasons for this were on show yesterday. He beat his man down the outside and then if they tried to cut that avenue off he was more than happy to beat them on the inside too. He ran at players and took the ball forward for some hefty yardage. He linked up with others to get them, or himself, into a position to inflict damage. He put cross after cross into the box. He has so many facets to his game and that makes him incredibly hard to shut down.

Mirallas - I won't lie, I'm quite prepared to have this man's children already. He was a menace for Southampton yesterday and the understanding he's got with Coleman was brilliant, and could be the making of quite a few wet dreams. He has unbelievably quick feet, a quick mind to match it, footballing intelligence and the pace to pull it all off too. What I liked about him yesterday was his total positivity in his play, he just wanted attack, and with that attacking intent he was unpredictable too because he'd beat his man down the wing and then the next time he'd cut inside or drift into the middle of the park and inflict damage there where it was unexpected and no man to cover him i.e. for Jelavic's first. Yes he tired in the second half but he's still getting up to speed and managed to get two assists. He has the potential to be a massive, massive player for us. My MOTM.

Osman - You'd be forgiven for thinking you were watching the Scouse Iniesta at times yesterday tongue.png . When we were dominating and making Southampton look like schoolboys he was the orchestrator and right at the centre of everything. And, like I said up above, he was part of the foursome that absolutely took them apart down the left. He got himself on the scoresheet too, but gave me a scare with how high into the goal he put it! When he plays like that you wonder why he's never got an England cap. Then you watch him be incredibly sloppy with the ball all through the second half and you remember why.

Neville - Other than negecting what he was out there to do in the opening part of the game and firing a few balls at his team mates, I thought he had a pretty good game. He's a limited passer but usually still attempts Hollywood balls but he seemed content enough to play the simple ball to Osman or one of the wide men.

Pienaar - I thought he was absolutely outstanding when we were dominating, seriously impressive. He was really making us tick (along with others) and was a constant threat to Saints. They couldn't handle how quick he could change direction with the ball, or his speed of thought to make things happen. However, in the second half I thought he was terrible. He gave the ball away far too much, and too many times left Baines to deal with two players because he'd gone walkabout.

Fellaini - The destroyer was back on show for us yesterday biggrin.png . I'm still amazed at just how good with the ball at his feet he was tbh. And how easily he gets away from his man when he runs. He's not particularly fast but he just lopes away time after time, and there's nothing they can do about it but trail in his wake. He showed phenomenal strength too. I remember him bringing the ball down on his chest (wub.png ) and then he threw their man to the floor because he was in his way lol. I loved that he was more willing to shoot from distance too, and fuck he can hammer a ball based on yesterday. I want curly hair too afro.gif .

Jelavic - Took his time getting into the game but he could have ended up with at least a hat-trick. He was very nearly on the end of Mirallas' cross that Osman finished off, slotted home from Mirallas' through ball, scored a thundering header to make it 3-1, and had a few other other chances too. I just wish he wouldn't go down so easily, it really annoyed me yesterday shaking fist.png .

Mirallas - I won't lie, I'm quite prepared to have this man's children already. He was a menace for Southampton yesterday and the understanding he's got with Coleman was brilliant, and could be the making of quite a few wet dreams. He has unbelievably quick feet, a quick mind to match it, footballing intelligence and the pace to pull it all off too. What I liked about him yesterday was his total positivity in his play, he just wanted attack, and with that attacking intent he was unpredictable too because he'd beat his man down the wing and then the next time he'd cut inside or drift into the middle of the park and inflict damage there where it was unexpected and no man to cover him i.e. for Jelavic's first. Yes he tired in the second half but he's still getting up to speed and managed to get two assists. He has the potential to be a massive, massive player for us. My MOTM.

I was very happy to see some of the crosses Mirallas put in. I thought he might not function as well on the right as he's more used to playing on the left, cutting inside and having a shot. But his crosses were all whipped into dangerous areas with pace yesterday. And he was dangerous when he drifted inside, the angle might not really favour him having a go at goal with his right foot then, but he was very good at just linking up play when he had drifted into the middle. Like you said, he did get very sloppy in the second half though.

Also, he was instrumental in getting us that second goal on a counter attack again.

Hopefully he and Coleman get more time together on the right. I think Mirallas will benefit a lot from Coleman providing width, so that he is able to wander into the middle and into the box.

Edited by Steve_E

I still feel disappointed by the midweek exit from what represents one of only two chances to plausibly win anything this season, we are doing very well in the league, but it's only six games in and even if we were to finish runners up, 3rd 4th or 5th, or wherever you think this season's league can take us, you don't get any actual trophy for it unfortunately. Yesterday seemed such a contrast to midweek, but the bottom line is, inconsistency remains an issue. But still it was three points at home against a team that are no pushovers, we played well in spells, got somewhat complacent here and there but overall the result was justified and we find ourselves in the top three of the EPL table. Can we maintain this fine run, it's too early to say what can happen, but on the evidence of recent weeks, I just feel we may slip away and there's the inconsistency once again. Everton seem as unpredictable as the weather just lately.

Let's just keep this going, and at one game at a time, the start has been marvellous for the most part, we find ourselves in a rich position but it's merely one game at a time for me. We can dream but there's no sense in looking beyond what we really can't see or will envisage to occur.

Romey 1878 - i must say a pretty accarate summary of yours there - well done.The other results have mostly gone our way especially M united losing and West B drawing.We just have to keep the momentum and hope for consistancy - then who knows what might be in store.I really enjoy the sensible comments on this site - not just moaning and swearing which is so easy to do.

The game showcased the majestic talent of Leon Osman. The diminutive midfield schemer glided along the Goodison turf like a white swan, making the most touches (86) most passes (68) with a 94% pass completion, and crucially 100% from his 11 long balls which fed the flanks and allowed us to dominate the channels.

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/tactical-deconstruction-how-osman-and-his-wide-boys-schooled-saints/

Very nice.

Of the 14 chances created from the flanks, 8 came from the right and 6 from the left.

Also good to see.

The above post shows why I gave Osman the man of the match, the most touches (86), most passes (68) with a 94% pass completion and a 100% from his 11 long balls worship[1].gif .

He seems to have been around for years, came through the ranks and probably doesn't get paid stupid wages.

This present Everton team have potential goalscorers across the pitch.......tighten that defence and get Gibson back in there and I can't see many teams being able to hold us

Mirallas reminds me of Robert Pires, the way he can operate on either flank, the way he can ghost past players, hit crosses with intent or shoot at with venom at will.

Lots more to come from this lad, he has adapted very quickly to the pace of the premiership.

Funny thing is that Heits and Jags have swapped places.

Now Jags passes and Heitinga keeps trying those long diagonals that 90% of the time dont reach the target.

I am still 50/50 about him. but i do agree that second half they improved together. Maybe they need more pressure to wake them up?

They did come out and attack a bit more in the second half though and it was good to see us stand up and close them out. Which i think shows that along with our attacking play we are getting the maturity to defend when we need to. We just look so shaky when put under pressure. we could do with Jags getting his tackling boots back because Heits will never be good one on one.

Another thing i noticed...Mirallas making a tackle at right back more than one occasion.

This guy could turn out to be the signing of the season if he continues like this.

Goes past players with ease.

Has pace.

Has a footballing brain.

And he's got a rocket on him too.