IGNORED

Southampton - Home 29th September

Hafnia

We can't underestimate Southampton.

They've had the hardest opening games you could imagine, and fought hard.

City 3-2 Southampton

Southampton 0-2 Wigan

Southampton 2-3 United

Arseanal 6-1 Southampton

Southampton 4-1 Villa

and now Everton ............

Talk about being thrown into the Premiership deep end.

They had a strong win last week, albeit against a poor Villa side. I've had their striker in my FF team all season and he hasn't let me down, so we need to watch out, as this guy doesn't miss silly chances, and is quite the goal scorer.

Moyes will have come down hard on our players midweek, so hopefully they will make up for the loss by reuniting themselves with winning ways.

Sorry Saints, but I think there will be a backlash.

Everton 5-0 Southampton shaking fist.png

Everton owes us , but will have to improve in a few areas.They must get their defense sorted - too many soft goals this season . They have to get their attack on the right hand side of the pitch going - they are far too predictable going left 80% of the time. The strikers will have to improve on their conversion rate - too many shots totally missing the target.Tough game but we should win - i predict Everton 2 Southampton 1.

if moyes plays the first team we should be ok,but the leeds team selection takes me back to the anfield derby selection and its hard to fogive moyes he seems to have a brainstorm every so often.

Was a pretty standard league cup selection for us...few rested but a much stronger XI than most premier league teams put out at this stage of the competition.

Should have been easily good enough to beat Leeds....I really don't think the selection can be blamed for losing.

And why would he play anything other than the first eleven tomorrow?

Do not for the life of me understand rotating keepers. Take southalls injury in 86, Bobby mimms was a very good keeper and our defence was amazing but the communication and understanding was totally screwed up.

Barring that gueye and Coleman did very little to convince me that they have a future in their deployed positions the other night.

Skybet special for Hafnia

Baines to score, make an assist, complete 60 or more passes, win 4 or more tackles and win man of the matchLeighton Baines Specials 500/1

Anyone moaning about the Everton II the other night, we had more 1st team players on the pitch than Leeds did. So jib it with the reserves excuses.

You look at the other night and one conclusion to be drawn ---- Baines!!!

Seriously if he was the difference between what we have seen when we are good and when we are bad (he was poor against WBA) then he is priceless.

I said on the night we missed Baines....Without Baines and Pienaar we don't look such a potent force, when Pienaars out there without Baines we still lacked that spark.This is something Moyes is going to have to get sorted we can't function like that.We can't become that reliant on a couple of players.I thought Fellaini looked half arsed against Leeds and a couple of others! How does Moyes punish Fellaini if he only puts in 80% ?

No team talk required Saturday, just sit them down and watch the first half against Leeds, that should be enough for a few of them.

Southampton always seem to bottle out ata Goodison, let's hope some things never change.

Everton to prove they are more than a two man team.

Everton 5 (Pienaar 3, Baines 2) Southampton 0.

Nine full internationals plus Distin & Junior.

Junior has played U21 for Portugal, and it's criminal that Mexes gets in the France squad ahead of Distin.

You'd think the fans would be used to crashing out to lower opposition. We must be the only prem fans who hope to get prem opposition in the cups. The fun times of being an Evertonian happy.png

Time to let it go and move on now. Negatives are too heavy to drag around.

We'd all have took playing like we are in the league like a shot, and presuming we weren't destined to win that cup, it's better to be out now if our pint glass is half full.

As for the guys who played, there will be different opinions.

Roll on Southampton.

The biggest mistake Everton made against Leeds was not the side they fielded, but rather their inabillity to adapt to the conditions. They tried to play attractive flowing soccer in attrocious conditions.On a wet day on long grass you make short passes and keep controll of the ball - you don't try and impress the spectators - you grind out a victory like Leeds did. In the end all that counts is not how beautifully you played - but rather what the scoreboard says.We have to win tomorrow if we want to run with the big dogs.

On the main stand for this one never been on the there before so hoping it's not a bad view from the top....

I like Southampton they play some good stuff and as said have had quite a tough start but that's the Prem for you, saying that they can pass it about well but leak goals and are very shakey when being put under pressure. I do like the look of Ramirez I'd say He's one to watch out for as well as Lambert.

I think unless we see that dire shite we saw against Leeds we will have far to much for them and by rights should be three points.

3 - 1

Edited by EFC-Paul

On the main stand for this one never been on the there before so hoping it's not a bad view from the top....

I like Southampton they play some good stuff and as said have had quite a tough start but that's the Prem for you, saying that they can pass it about well but leak goals and are very shakey when being put under pressure. I do like the look of Ramirez I'd say He's one to watch out for as well as Lambert.

I think unless we see that dire shite we saw against Leeds we will have far to much for them and by rights should be three points.

3 - 1

Speaking of which, I'm starting to look at tickets on StubHub for the Wigan and Chelsea games over the holidays. Where are the best views/seats? I've not yet been to Goodison, but I understand there are quite a few obstructed views. Is Gwladys the place to be? Cheers

--

Back on topic. Think we'll concede at least one. The clean sheet at Swansea was completely deceptive and Lambert looks like scoring every game. I fear we still haven't sorted out our best CB, and I suspect we'll be back to Jags and Distin for this one. Not sure we saw enough from Coleman at RB to keep that going at this stage, expect Tony back there and Neville back in midfield, joined by Pienaar, Ossie, Felli and Kev. Jelly up front. Standard fare, all depends on the attitude and Neville not driving us backwards with every touch. I'll be up at 7 am again for this one and hope to be kept awake by our fluent, attacking football, and not by screaming at my laptop for us to wake up.

3-1 for me as well. Would love to see Kev go on a little run in the league, so him, Jelly and Baines.

Speaking of which, I'm starting to look at tickets on StubHub for the Wigan and Chelsea games over the holidays. Where are the best views/seats? I've not yet been to Goodison, but I understand there are quite a few obstructed views. Is Gwladys the place to be? Cheers

Gladys for the atmosphere. Park end has the best view from behind the goal. If you prefer to watch football from the side the Main Stand is good, but suffers with obstructed views (if the tickets off stubhub it is probs a ST holder so the view should be good regardless of what stand).

Scoreline for the game 5-2. I'm swinging between a goal fest or an upset as Southampton played very well in the 2nd half against Villa and would have caused any team problems. Lambert, Lallana, Ramirez, and Clyne all capable of creating a goal.

why ?, when i heard i was pissed off,i would take a cup every time over a champions league spot,

Who mentioned anything about a Champions League spot? I didn't. I was pleased with the selection because I thought the players put out there could do the job. What's the point in having a squad if you can't use it?

Incidentally, I'd be interested to know which 4 and a half of those 9 full internationals you don't think are fit to wear an Everton shirt.