IGNORED

Cheltenham

MikeO

Couple of interesting bits off the BBC online commentary...

"Good reaction from Leighton Baines. He is clattered by Jermaine McGlashan as he gets forward, it's quite an ugly challenge but Baines is quickly to his feet and shakes the hand of the Cheltenham man. Bainesy may just be the most likable Premier League footballer I can think of."

BBC Radio 5 live's Steve Claridge at Whaddon Road:

"Who has been awarded the Ballon D'Or? Lionel Messi would have been proud of that one. At full pace Seamus Coleman lifted the ball over the keeper with the most subtle of touches. A wonderful, wonderful goal by the fullback. I am just left open mouthed."

Is there any way I can watch the game now? Had to take someone to the airport so couldn't watch it sad.png

sounds like a great game though, shame that there was no cleansheet.

It may be featured on Everton TV soon enough you would imagine, or if not that, then a repeat on ESPN possibly, although I don't have access to either.

There are no highlights on (UK) terrestrial television later. Although the BBC would be falling over themselves to put something on if it was Manchester United or Chelsea in action instead.

Anybody else think Gueye was absolutely gash when he came on? think he had about 3 touches in the space of 10 mins and they all went straight to their players. He got a bit better as it went on but he still did sweet F/A considering he should really be busting his balls to show he wants to be in the first team...

It may be featured on Everton TV soon enough you would imagine, or if not that, then a repeat on ESPN possibly, although I don't have access to either.

Think I've mentioned this to you before DK but everyone has access to EvertonTV. It's free....you just need to be registered on the Official site.

Anybody else think Gueye was absolutely gash when he came on? think he had about 3 touches in the space of 10 mins and they all went straight to their players. He got a bit better as it went on but he still did sweet F/A considering he should really be busting his balls to show he wants to be in the first team...

He looked scared! Lol

He got better as he settled though.

great result for us but Moyes totally astounded me with his subs -

where is his tactical skill and strategic capabillities ?

leaving Neville on the pitch just acting as a midwife the whole time and then bringing on Mr Average Naismith and Mr Ancient Hitzelsberger instead of Velios , Barkly and Duffy needs some serious explanation -

if i was Velios and the other youg players i would be urgently looking for a new employer because my current one does not think i am good enough to play against a 4th league side when we are 4-1 up -

sorry Mr Moyes you have just lost a few further points in my estimation of you as a top notch coach -

we waisted time in the 2nd half playing the long ball and just passing the ball backwards instead of letting our young guns loose on them at full speed - Mr Moyes and our defense better wake up if they want to compete against the best

I had a good night tonight on the Cheltenham fan site. Far more accomodating than the Tamworth one from last year. Not much activity, but it's a very good site and there was one or two Evertonians and other fans around also. Well worth registering, although it seems a little late after the event, but recommended if you want to discuss any of tonights action with opposition fans.

5 - 1 is a very good score, but it was far from straight forward, but we avoided another upset and have once again taken a step closer to another trophy challenge, but Bolton or Sunderland will prove difficult opposition.

Comfortable result to a shaky start. They had pluck the first 10-15mins, but the steam went out of them after the penalty. Took a chance goal from our leaky defence, but that was about it - we bossed it the second half. Agree with most people wondering why DM didn't let the 'youngsters' have a go later into the match when we were 4-1 up. If ever there was a chance to give fringe players a chance at first-team action... where else? I liked Oviedo tonight - took his full 90 mins well and made a good show.

great result for us but Moyes totally astounded me with his subs -

where is his tactical skill and strategic capabillities ?

leaving Neville on the pitch just acting as a midwife the whole time and then bringing on Mr Average Naismith and Mr Ancient Hitzelsberger instead of Velios , Barkly and Duffy needs some serious explanation -

if i was Velios and the other youg players i would be urgently looking for a new employer because my current one does not think i am good enough to play against a 4th league side when we are 4-1 up -

sorry Mr Moyes you have just lost a few further points in my estimation of you as a top notch coach -

we waisted time in the 2nd half playing the long ball and just passing the ball backwards instead of letting our young guns loose on them at full speed - Mr Moyes and our defense better wake up if they want to compete against the best

Have you been watching Everton for the last decade?

I despair at people thinking they know better than Moyes when it comes to nothing substitutions in a nothing game during the transfer window.

Have you been watching Everton for the last decade?

I despair at people thinking they know better than Moyes when it comes to nothing substitutions in a nothing game during the transfer window.

Being a manager doesn't always make you right - it means the decisions you make are there to be judged. That's why he gets paid over £70k a week. As it stands, the team he manages has an army of fans who will have a vested interest in such decisions.

It wasn't a nothing game, it was a live game where he could have given the likes of vellios, Barkley, and Duffy some 1st team action and valuable cup tie experience. Instead he brought on two players with dodgy knees who aren't going to tell us anything we don't already know. Two players who I don't believe have a future in the club - make that 3 with gueye.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/01/08/moyes-to-monitor-baines

Worrying unsure.png .... Personally felt he should have come off a bit earlier than he did as well tbh.

It really makes so much more of a mockery of his subs. Neville could have played left back and brought hitz on. When did he make this sub??? Over 60 minutes gone?! Baffling. The game wasn't resting on baines playing.

Maybe it's to deter buyers?

The 3 are under contract Av. Given baines and fellaini are possibly the best in the league in their position he doesn't spare them.

He just doesn't give youth a chance in the way his reputation suggests. Last night was perfect to give them time - a big miss.

I can see why people are baffled but he played Vellios and Barkley against Chelsea in the league, if that doesn't show he has faith then what does? Playing them against a 4th tier club?!

Hitz is more likely to get a game ahead of Barkley in the league should Gibbo remain out and he needs minutes, remember he has been injured for a long time and hasn't played that many games. I don't agree with bringing Naismith on but maybe he wanted to try and give the lad some confidence after what has been a pretty shoddy run of performances from him.

If Coleman keeps improving Everton will end up with attacking full backs that sould be enough to cause any opponent problems.

If Banes and Pienaar don't frighten you maybe Coleman and Mirallas on the other side will.If those four click on the same day you better hope Jelavic and Fellaini aren't hungry!

Moyes got it right last night, thought Victor had a good game.Goes without saying Baines was up there with him.

They all did a good job!

Being a manager doesn't always make you right - it means the decisions you make are there to be judged. That's why he gets paid over £70k a week. As it stands, the team he manages has an army of fans who will have a vested interest in such decisions.

It wasn't a nothing game, it was a live game where he could have given the likes of vellios, Barkley, and Duffy some 1st team action and valuable cup tie experience. Instead he brought on two players with dodgy knees who aren't going to tell us anything we don't already know. Two players who I don't believe have a future in the club - make that 3 with gueye.

My point is Moyes deals with these lads every day, we don't. We all know that playing time for Barkley is on his mind - he's said it more than enough times. In fact he was talking about it the same day as the game was played. That means he made a conscious decision not to play him/them. That could be for a ton of reasons we are just not privy to nor will we ever be.

At this point he's earned my trust when it comes to the team.

My point is Moyes deals with these lads every day, we don't. We all know that playing time for Barkley is on his mind - he's said it more than enough times. In fact he was talking about it the same day as the game was played. That means he made a conscious decision not to play him/them. That could be for a ton of reasons we are just not privy to nor will we ever be.

At this point he's earned my trust when it comes to the team.

I trust him, I just don't always agree with him. Certainly by not playing two or three young lads who have been trusted to come on against premiership opposition in amatch we were cruising against a lower league team baffles me.

Not fussed at all on Naismith - he is the player who needs to go out on loan. He is so off the pace its untrue, he looked slow against lower league last night. He needs to improve by 30% to be a consideration for the first team.

There isn't an awful lot to say about the game in truth, it's not one that will live long in the memory despite us scoring 5 goals. That's not to say we played badly; we didn't. It just wasn't a great game to watch because we put in a thoroughly professional and methodical performance and shut Cheltenham out of the game so it wasn't much of a contest. And to top it off we were extremely clinical in front of goal. That's exactly what was called for though, so I have no complaints. We usually struggle in the early rounds of the FA Cup against lower league opposition so to be so comfortable last night was a joy. We barely broke sweat (we didn't need to in all honesty), and if we'd needed to push we had so many gears we could have gone through.

The only negatives I can find out of last night are that we didn't start particularly well, we hoofed the ball far too often and we didn't manage to keep a clean sheet once again :(.

I'm not going to go into the substitutions that were made for fear of me spontaneously combusting unsure.png .

Howard - Only had a couple of saves to make all game and I thought he commanded his area well; coming for a few balls brilliantly.

Coleman - He was caught out a couple of times defensively and was fairly anonymous for a lot of the first half, but he really grew into the game as it went on and ended up being one of our better players. Not to mention he took his goal superbly.

Jagielka & Distin - They were never really tested so it's hard to judge how they did tbh. But, when called upon to head the ball away etc they did well I thought.

Baines - Gave McGlashan a harsh lesson in what an attacking full-back at the top of his game is all about. He ran him ragged. Although, McGlashan did get the better of him a couple of times too. He got on the score sheet with a quality taken penalty and could have got another before that with another brilliantly taken free-kick. His crossing from open play still left a lot to be desired though.

Anichebe - Much like Coleman I thought he struggled in the early part of the game to make much of an impact, highlighted by him having to swap wings with Oviedo to get some joy. That being said, he also grew right into the game, got two assists and probably deserved a goal for his performance.

Neville - The game just went on around him; whether that be in attack or defence. He was just never involved.

Osman - I don't think he had the best of first half's; he was caught in possession a few times. But he got better as the game went on and became very influential. And, he showed what he's all about for his goal when he dazzled their players onto their arses with his quick feet and then slotted the ball home. My MOTM.

Oviedo - I wasn't all that impressed with him tbh. I thought he looked like a player that hasn't played much lately (not his fault). He was a bit clumsy in possession; tripping over his own feet and running into opposition players with the ball. He looked a bit over eager, like a little puppy let off the lead for the first time. However, he played a key role in our first goal with his link-up play with Fellaini.

Fellaini - He didn't at any point stretch himself, he didn't need to. He just strolled through the game. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. If he'd needed to he had a lot more to give, like the team as a whole really. So it was a fairly standard game from Felli. He just did what was necessary and nothing more. Even though he played within himself he still won us a penalty and got himself another goal to add to his tally.

Jelavic - I felt a little sorry for him with the style of football we played for a lot of the game last night. We launched it up to him far too often, which is just playing into the Cheltenham defenders hands; they deal with that every single week. And that game really isn't playing to Jelavic's strengths either. He showed his worth with his goal. It was a proper poacher's goal and is a key facet to Jelavic's game.

Edited by Romey 1878

.Baines - Gave McGlashan a harsh lesson in what an attacking full-back at the top of his game is all about. He ran him ragged. Although, McGlashan did get the better of him a couple of times too. He got on the score sheet with a quality taken penalty and could have got another before that with another brilliantly taken penalty. His crossing from open play still left a lot to be desired though.

Great review as always Mark, although two penalties?

When does the Bolton Wanderers / Sunderland replay take place.

I'd like Sunderland again as last years victory is still fresh in the memory and they've been really struggling at times this season. We have had some bad experiences against Bolton in previous cup meetings. They're a decent organized side, and it won't be easy at their venue. But still quietly confident on making further progress.