IGNORED

Cheltenham

MikeO

Barkley, Duffy and Vellios should all start IMO. Despite having a poor record againbst lower sides, our squad is already showing its weakness in its depth, so a league two team is a great opportunity to rest some players who may be getting fatigued.

Perhaps if it were a Leeds sort of team id say throw the first XI at them, but Cheltenham really aren't.

Its alright saying we need a full strenght team, look what happened here and here... but they were pretty much the strongest teams we could have put out. There is no point having the starting 11 going through the motions which is what we have done in the last God knows how many cup games (I include the Liverpool semi in that). Certain players need protecting from games like these, especially when we generally put a lot into each match we play.

I would definitely rest Osman, Pienaar, Jags & Baines (if we have enough FB cover). I would also be tempted to rest Jelavic because we have a decent option in Vellios who's style of class and physicality could cause real problems for this level of opposition.

I would go with this:

Howard

Neville - Heitinga - Duffy - Oviedo/Garbutt

Vic/Gueye - Hitz - Felli - Oviedo/Vic

Barkley

Vellios

It has plenty of quality, gives important players a rest and also uses the squad enough. If i remember rightly Garbutt was on loan to Cheltenham last year so if he was good enough to play for them then he is good enough to play against them.

Its alright saying we need a full strenght team, look what happened here and here... but they were pretty much the strongest teams we could have put out. There is no point having the starting 11 going through the motions which is what we have done in the last God knows how many cup games (I include the Liverpool semi in that). Certain players need protecting from games like these, especially when we generally put a lot into each match we play.

I would definitely rest Osman, Pienaar, Jags & Baines (if we have enough FB cover). I would also be tempted to rest Jelavic because we have a decent option in Vellios who's style of class and physicality could cause real problems for this level of opposition.

I would go with this:

Howard

Barkley

Vellios

It has plenty of quality, gives important players a rest and also uses the squad enough. If i remember rightly Garbutt was on loan to Cheltenham last year so if he was good enough to play for them then he is good enough to play against them.

If that is the line up I fear for us

I will be extremely pissed off if I get all the way down there on Monday night only to find the club arent taking the competition seriously

Garbutt is injured btw so he wont be available

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I will be extremely pissed off if I get all the way down there on Monday night only to find the club arent taking the competition seriously

I see your point dunc but with our thread bear squad we cant really take risks with some of our key players, what if we played baines tomorrow and he gets injured for a month? Could be catastrophic for us. I think that team isn't too bad personally and it should be able to beat Cheltenham IMO...

I think a weakened squad or starting XI may well work, but why take a chance ?

Previous experiences dictate we have to be serious about this, regardless of who they are or what league they play.

It's been said a thousand times, but people want another good league finish and champions league place again, and the income it generates, but it's been so long since a trophy now, and goddamn it, I want to see, and others - this club finally win something again. And by playing with the strongest sides available and keeping each round by paramount importance, that will give us a good enough chance to finally win something this year. There's no tangible prizes for a european cup place. I can't change opinion on that sometimes, really wish often enough to see us win something again, not seen since 1995. By playing with a strong side and treating the opposition with respect, can we take once again, a step closer to that hitherto elusive objective.

If our players need resting now then what the buggery will they be like if we get into Europe?! I say play a strong side, we've already messed up the league cup so thats less games to worry about. I honestly don't know why people are so worried about our boys, they play less games than anyone in the league!

If Garbutt is out then Baines will probably have to play but I dont see why that isnt taking the game seriously. There would roughly be 7 players from our general starting 11, Barkley was doing well in the Championship, Vellios who has looked very assured when he has come on and Oviedo who has also done pretty well. Duffy couldnt really do any worse than Heitinga & Distin did against Newcastle and overall Gueye would be the one to doubt but I dont think he has done as badly as people are making out.

Again I will reiterate, its not really about who plays its just whether they are up for it.

If Garbutt is out then Baines will probably have to play but I dont see why that isnt taking the game seriously. There would roughly be 7 players from our general starting 11, Barkley was doing well in the Championship, Vellios who has looked very assured when he has come on and Oviedo who has also done pretty well. Duffy couldnt really do any worse than Heitinga & Distin did against Newcastle and overall Gueye would be the one to doubt but I dont think he has done as badly as people are making out.

Again I will reiterate, its not really about who plays its just whether they are up for it.

Howard

Barkley

Vellios

I make it 2 from our best XI , Howard and Felli

Maybe Im being pessimistic but I have just seen Everton humiliated too many times down the years by lower league sides.

There havent really been any big shocks so far in this round and we are the only ones left to play so thats not making me feel any easier!

I think that unless any of our best players asre carrying knocks then they should start, lets not treat this as a pre-season friendly, lets get the game won before we start worrying about giving the fringe players a leg stretcher

Howard

Barkley

Vellios

I make it 2 from our best XI , Howard and Felli

Maybe Im being pessimistic but I have just seen Everton humiliated too many times down the years by lower league sides.

There havent really been any big shocks so far in this round and we are the only ones left to play so thats not making me feel any easier!

I think that unless any of our best players asre carrying knocks then they should start, lets not treat this as a pre-season friendly, lets get the game won before we start worrying about giving the fringe players a leg stretcher

Howard, Neville, Heits, Hitz, Felli, Vic and Baines (due to Garbutta injury) are all first team players. They might not be who you think should be first team but the fact is they have all started in the last few games at some point due to the injuries we have. I do admit that would be a very slow back 4 and upon reflection I would be inclined to get some pace in there (maybe Jags for Heits).

Certain players need to have a rest, especially Osman and Pienaar because they work so hard. This period in the fixture list tough and a couple of changes here or there will help us in the long run.

I agree about the pessimistic feeling especially when we are playing away but you only have to look at the Leeds, Reading and Oldham games where the top players simply didnt turn up. They were strong starting 11's beaten by a team that wanted it more. If we go out there to get stuck in and play positively then we will win mo matter whether we reat a couple or not.