IGNORED

Cheltenham

MikeO

The wrath of DK will be upon you rofl.gif

We should win this quite comfortably, but it is an FA Cup tie, and we all know what can happen in those sort of games. We will lose by the odd unexpected goal after battering them for 90 mins, or we will win by a massive margin.

Be nice to build up confidence for the league with a good win.

Would 8 - 0 be too optimistic? After all Cheltenham are pretty good in their own way.

Don't think we'll lose, but it could well go to a replay, and it's at one of those awkward venues and the Vultures will be out in force.

Today, incidentally is the 10th anniversary of our defeat at Shrewsbury (Nigel Jemson swansong), in 2003, so it's a game very much like that coming up, and it's happened before, and it is after all, simply 11 men against 11, that on the day, anything can happen.

Our record, recent years, against lower league sides in cup tournaments is poor, Oldham, Reading, Oxford, Reading etc, so we will have to be cautious out there for this. Moyes has to take it seriously and put out a strong side, as it's simpy the last chance we have once again, to win something. (for the first time in 18 long years now)

I'd be more irate than embarrassed with a defeat to this opposition if it occurs, but quietly confident

Good game for Barkley to show us what he can do. I would like to see vellios given a chance also.

Just seen your post Aiden.

Thought you were half parrot mate!

Im nervy for this game because as kane mentioned we can be shite against teams like this.

I do believe that it could be our year though, I have the confidence to say we have more than enough ability to beat anyone in this country. I really want to see young ross given a game though, that is if some dickheads can grow up and not abuse him on twitter if hes anything less than mediocre.

I think this could be a tricky game and I hope Moyes doesnt tinker with the line up

I want us to put out as strong a side as possible, if we are then 3-0 at half time great bring a few of the young lads on then. I certainly dont want to see Mucha anywhere near the starting XI

If the likes of Duffy and Barkley need to be starting games then send them out on loan, dont jepordise our cup run just to give them minutes on the pitch.

Cheltenham is a 4th league side chaps - showing them too much respect is a major mistake - -

we should give our whole bench a start and if they do not lead at halftime pull them off and tell them that is why they are always on the bench - regulars will prove nothing by looking impressive against a few farmyards -

if we don't drill this side we must immediately stop dreaming of playing in Europe ! End of Story

Cheltenham is a 4th league side chaps - showing them too much respect is a major mistake - -

we should give our whole bench a start and if they do not lead at halftime pull them off and tell them that is why they are always on the bench - regulars will prove nothing by looking impressive against a few farmyards -

if we don't drill this side we must immediately stop dreaming of playing in Europe ! End of Story

Can I just say Shrewsbury Town!

They were relegated from the Football League they were that bad and they still deservedly dumped us out of the Cup

Leeds United this season proved that our squad isnt strong enough to start making wholesale changes and stil expecting a decent performance

As much as I like to see weakened lineups in these games to give other guys experience and the normal 11 a rest, not in this match. Tricky away match against a hungry team. This FA Cup means too much to the fans and club to risk going out in the 3rd round to Cheltenham.

I wouldn't make wholesale changes by any means. Maybe just rest Osman and Pienaar and bring Barkley and Oviedo in.

Osman certainly looked like he needed a breather against Newcastle, but with Gibbo and Mirallas already out I would be worried where the creative spark would come from if Ossie and Piennar are rested

Osman certainly looked like he needed a breather against Newcastle, but with Gibbo and Mirallas already out I would be worried where the creative spark would come from if Ossie and Piennar are rested

Good point. Just Osman then, a rest is needed for him but it'd be a luxury to give one to Pienaar as well. A luxury we probably can't afford with what you pointed out.

Howard

Nev Heitinga Duffy Baines

Naismith Fellaini Hitz Oviedo

Barkley

Jelavic (drop him in our prem game if he doesn't find a goal here)

Subs: Jags(Shef Utd style), Browning, Vellios, Gueye, McAleny, Kennedy, and Silva Jr.

Drop him now shaking fist.png

Do you think that Barkleys best position is behind the striker?

Drop him now shaking%20fist.png

Do you think that Barkleys best position is behind the striker?

Save Anichebe for the Swansea game, plus I'd like to see how Barkley-Jela play well together.

Based on his cameos for us and little spell at Shef Wed it's where he has looked the most comfortable. Doesn't have the defensive attributes to play on the wing and gives the ball away too much in the middle. He has great vision that makes him most effective from behind the striker.

Edited by pete0

After seeing the totally unimaginative football and total lack of creativeness against Leeds we cannot rest anybody. Why does anybody need a rest? if we played in uefa cup or god forbid champs league we would expect the players to play twice a week. Let up on the training during the week and play your strongest team and make changes when we are a few up. If we play a full team 0-3 Vic,Jelly and Baines

They're 2 divisions below Leeds and will be high on adrenaline, and rather a few reserves got a chance as they'll be hungry to show what they can do and run that little harder than the regulars. I'd be disappointed if any of our reserves can't compete with them.

They're 2 divisions below Leeds and will be high on adrenaline, and rather a few reserves got a chance as they'll be hungry to show what they can do and run that little harder than the regulars. I'd be disappointed if any of our reserves can't compete with them.

I think thats a very romantic idea to be honest. Who out of our "squad players" do you think will "run harder" than seasoned professional footballers at a club that have no prima donners? Get the job done early and bring the squad players in. Why give the impetus to a lower league team? Let them be intimidated by us

I think thats a very romantic idea to be honest. Who out of our "squad players" do you think will "run harder" than seasoned professional footballers at a club that have no prima donners? Get the job done early and bring the squad players in. Why give the impetus to a lower league team? Let them be intimidated by us

To be fair I think they will still be intimidated if we throw in Barkley and maybe even Vellios. Just as long as we keep a bit of creativity in the side.

They've got nothing to lose, as did Shrewsbury in 2003, and to a lesser extent, Oldham after that and maybe even Reading or going back to Woking and Telford in years back. Just go out and relax, and see what it brings you. All the pressure to get a result will be on us once again, but I do think we can overcome this obstacle and take a place in the fourth round. A redshite defeat at Mansfield is it, would be a quite outstanding long weekend, but the idea of both Mersey clubs losing to respective oppositions over the next two days seems between slim and non existent

I registered recently with their main fan site 'The Robins Nest', so can have an opportunity to get involved in some opposition perspective, but I can't see a loss with this fixture. Even if they manage a replay it will be a surprise, but stranger things have occured at our expense.

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/

Any of them if the first teamers put in a shift like they did against Leeds. If Duffy doesn't get a game he should be out on loan. Oviedo looks keen to impress in his cameos as does Barkley, Gueye has a point to prove and Vellios needs some minutes on the pitch to put some pressure on the other strikers rather than just be the sub-on to waste time. Silva and McAleny are worth a shot too. All these players need experience and there not getting enough from the bench, we need to implement them otherwise they'll development will stagnate.

I'd put out a second-ish squad with just enough first teamers so that they can't cock it up. For example I'd like to see Shane Duffy put into the defence and Luke Garbutt there too (he is back isn't he?), along with these I'd like to see Ross Barkley given a go and up front I'd kill to see Apostolos Vellios. All these I believe can come in and do a job without us risking bottling it. Jelavic alongside Vellios should keep him in check whilst the midfielders such as Pienaar and Neville should keep Barkley from doing anything wild.

Based on today upsets will happen, but I can't see us being on the wrong end of one come Monday.

Cheltenham 0 Everton 4

These guys are a decent team.

They're 4th in their table (1pt behind 3rd) and have only lost 2 home games after 26 matches so let's not take them for granted.

I can't see Moyes fielding a team without a winning mentality, especially after our earlier cup exit. The FA cup is a cup he wants to win badly, and I'll be surprised if we have too many 1st team players missing.

I expect Jelavic to play at least 45 to get a goal and some confidence, and Heitinga too. Baines might get rested as might Fellaini, but can't see others having the night off.

Edited by Avinalaff