IGNORED

Aston Villa (H)

MikeO

Yesterday was a snapshot of our season in 90ish minutes; dominate, concede sloppy goals due to our defence being a shambles, fight right until the end and salvage something from the game to leave us with a "what if?" feeling.

The first half consisted of us having complete control of the game but we blew our chances and Villa only had 2 attempts in that half (I think) and they scored two goals. It didn't help that we handed them these chances on a plate, but they've still got to put them away. They showed a clinical side that we just didn't have. Quite what Heitinga was doing for their first I have no idea, he was well and truly embarrassed. Benteke embarrassed him all game tbh, and he made Distin look average too. The only player who dealt with him effectively was Jags; he got fuck all out of Jags all afternoon. We managed to get ourselves back into the game with a brilliantly worked goal by Anichebe. He used all of his attributes; he was being held (a regular occurrence throughout the game), turned his man excellently and then was capable of a quality finish. I really thought we'd go on to smash them after getting back on an even keel because it really had been all us, but in typical Everton fashion we instantly gave them the lead again through more terrible defending. This time it was through poor marking from a set-piece; something we are regularly punished for this season. We look like conceding every time a set-piece is delivered into our box. It needs sorting out. Even after going behind again we were still all over them and I thought it was only a matter of time before we equalised again, but we were poor in the final third tbh. We either fucked up the shot, the final ball was terrible or we simply didn't get enough bodies in the box to get on the end of something (this is something in particular I think we've struggled with recently). Basically, lots of huff and puff with very little at the end of it. Also, I think we get a bit preoccupied with going to Baines (i.e. sideways) and forget to go through the middle. We need to mix things up, IMO.

I thought it'd be more of the same in the second half with us pushing for the equaliser, but we struggled to get anything going and it was extremely scrappy to watch. Villa were content to just get organised and sit in to protect the three points and look to hit us on the counter, while we struggled with creativity and conviction and couldn't get through them. The tempo and pressure we had in the first half was nowhere to be found. Still, the last thing I expected to happen was for us to concede a third goal. But that's exactly what happened. And once again we brought it on ourselves. Why can't Howard fucking use his mouth and communicate with his defenders?! All he had to do was call for Distin to leave it as there were no Villa players around him. Instead, the oaf says nothing and Distin heads the ball away, they get the ball, attack us and score their third. I thought that was it tbh, but them scoring a third seemed to jolt us into action and all of a sudden we found our tempo again and we pummelled them, pushed them right back and put them under immense pressure. Some will say it was because of the substitutions but I think it was more to do with the players realising just what a mess they'd made of things and being determined to put things right. I didn't think we were going to manage to put it right because so many chances went begging but we eventually did get a reward for the pressure and Fellaini got his 10th goal of the season. This was the first thing he'd done of any note in the second half, he'd been missing for much of it. He was in the game again right at the end to get our third goal with a header from a corner. I don't think we score enough from corners but that's something for another thread :). I thought he'd been fairly anonymous for most of this half but big players step up at important moments and that's exactly what he did, so I can understand why he has so many MOTM votes even though it's not the way I voted.

The pleasing thing is how we fought right until the end even though we were 3-1 down; Everton of a few years ago would have just played out the game and gone down with a bit of a whimper tbh. So, to come back and grab a point shows what we're made of these days. We need to get our defence sorted though. And it's not just a case of not playing Heitinga because even when it's been Jags and Distin we've looked vulnerable. I don't know what the answer is but we need to find it because we can't keep giving the opposition a goal (or more) every game if we want to achieve anything this season.

Howard - It's no secret that I'm not a massive fan of his but he really pissed me off yesterday. His distribution was shocking and once again his lack of communication and willingness to come for the ball cost us.

Jagielka - He had a cracking game, he's getting back to the levels that he showed a couple of seasons ago. This despite spending most of the game in a position that he's not all that good in. But, he put in a great defensive shift and got forward as much as he possibly could. I also didn't notice much in the way of hoofing from him. He really showed his worth when he was moved back to CB though. There he showed the idiots Distin and Heitinga how you deal with Benteke. From then on he barely had a sniff.

Heitinga - It pains me to say it but it was a diabolical showing by him. He was unbelievably bad and did not have the first inkling as to how to deal with Benteke, who made a donkey out of him. Being directly responsible for two of the three goals we conceded gives you some idea as to how bad he was.

Distin - I don't think he was much better than Heitinga tbh. He didn't really deal with Benteke well either and his passing was fucking woeful. If he wasn't launching the ball to absolutely no one then he was failing to find a man 5 yards away!

Baines - He looked decent defensively and, as always, he was going forward at every opportunity. However, I felt he was largely responsible for us failing in the final third. He put ball after ball into the box but the majority of those balls were poor. They either hit the first man or go far too deep and floaty so it's almost impossible to do anything with. It's the same story with his corners as well. The one good corner he put in Fellaini scored from but we had loads of corners so it's just not good enough. He needs to start whipping the ball in again.

Mirallas - I seriously cannot wait for this man to be fully fit again. Despite obviously not being fully there yesterday every time he got the ball I was excited because I felt like he could make something happen. He was unlucky not to make something happen a few times. He was pacy, direct, skillful and just full of quality really. He faded as the game went on, as you'd expect, but I really hope his injury troubles are behind him because he will be such an important player for us when it comes to opening up stubborn sides. We have no one like him.

Osman - His best game for a few weeks, IMO. I think it made all the difference having a capable central midfielder next to him. When it's Neville it's almost like Osman is fearful of going forward but with Gibson he knew he could go forward and the defence would still have protection. And go forward he did. I thought he was at the centre of all of our attacks again and was very busy. The signs were there of him getting back to the player that could unlock teams.

Gibson - Obviously wasn't going to set the world alight due to coming back from injury and not having the match fitness, but he was extremely effective and just went about his business methodically and without a fuss.

Pienaar - You couldn't have asked for anything more from him yesterday... until the final ball/decision that is. He'd do all the hard work and do it perfectly to work an opening and then he'd completely and utterly fuck it up. His final ball was awful. There's no other word for it. And his shooting... fuck me, I just wish he'd stop shooting at goal altogether. I'm all for our midfielders having a pop at goal but I'd beg him to not shoot because he's shit at it. Just shit. Every time he got to the edge of the box and looked like shooting I was actually shouting "don't shoot, don't shoot!".

Fellaini - I thought he was better in the first half than the second half, which is weird to say seeing as his importance to the game came in the second half with his two goals. But in the first half I thought he was much more involved in things, whereas in the second half he just popped up for the goals and not much else (IMO).

Anichebe - He's always had all the attributes to make it (pace, power etc) but he's never had the application to match it, but at the minute he's showing that application and a much better attitude too. Yesterday's game further showcased this. He really worked hard, he didn't let his frustration at constantly being fouled get the better of him, and he showed his power and finishing ability when he turned his man effortlessly and then fired the ball into the back of the net. The only criticism I would make of him, and it's a general one rather than one just for yesterday, is that he lacks movement. It's something where he should take a leaf out of Jelavic's book, who has class movement.

Great report as always Mark...

Pienaar - You couldn't have asked for anything more from him yesterday... until the final ball/decision that is. He'd do all the hard work and do it perfectly to work an opening and then he'd completely and utterly fuck it up. His final ball was awful. There's no other word for it. And his shooting... fuck me, I just wish he'd stop shooting at goal altogether. I'm all for our midfielders having a pop at goal but I'd beg him to not shoot because he's shit at it. Just shit. Every time he got to the edge of the box and looked like shooting I was actually shouting "don't shoot, don't shoot!".

Me and Josh were with you all the way on this...we were doing exactly the samelaugh.png .

As Mike says, great reports as always Mark, just out of curiosity, which goal do you not blame Heits for? Personally thought he was at fault for them all

The last one as I felt Howard was more culpable as he should have claimed the ball or told Distin he didn't need to clear it, meaning we'd have had the ball and not Villa.

As Mike says, great reports as always Mark, just out of curiosity, which goal do you not blame Heits for? Personally thought he was at fault for them all

The third one was Howard's fault IMO. Before the move which Aston Villa scored from they put in a piss poor cross which could have easily been collected as it was inside Tim's six-yard box. For some strange reason however he left it to Distin who managed a piss poor clearance (due to him expecting Howard to come and collect) and from there Villa put it back into the box and scored.

Had Tim come for the ball and taken it we would never have had to defend at all.

The last one as I felt Howard was more culpable as he should have claimed the ball or told Distin he didn't need to clear it, meaning we'd have had the ball and not Villa.

The third one was Howard's fault IMO. Before the move which Aston Villa scored from they put in a piss poor cross which could have easily been collected as it was inside Tim's six-yard box. For some strange reason however he left it to Distin who managed a piss poor clearance (due to him expecting Howard to come and collect) and from there Villa put it back into the box and scored.

Had Tim come for the ball and taken it we would never have had to defend at all.

i'll have to take your word for it lads as i cant remember that much of the highlights. I still think Heits should have done a lot better for the last one though, he just seemed to dangle a foot at it.

i'll have to take your word for it lads as i cant remember that much of the highlights. I still think Heits should have done a lot better for the last one though, he just seemed to dangle a foot at it.

Whoever was to blame it's annoying that all three goals we conceded were our own doing and could easily have been prevented :(.

Whoever was to blame it's annoying that all three goals we conceded were our own doing and could easily have been prevented sad.png.

That's what has annoyed me the most. I could accept conceding three goals if they were world-class but the goals on Saturday could easily have been prevented as you said. It's slip ups like this that could cost us a place in the Champions League.

In all probability we won't even qualify for the Champions League. Does anyone really think we can get fourth place this season, fighting along with those red fucks , Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur for example. Born pessimist or not, fuck all that, I just don't think we will quite do it, but just quote me at end of season. a UEFA cup place is the probably the plausible achievement for this season. Just have been unimpressed with recent performances, it's all very well having a poor game as a one off or two and getting some European reward, but it's more frequent with us, and that'll cost us at end of season. Obviously would want to see the club actually do it, but I do have serious reservations on this

Strange how Aston Villa actually decide to play decent and actually try to redeem themselves at the worst time possible, when before they simply let themselves and supporters down with some lacklustre efforts.

please have a look at the following site : theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com

makes for very interesting reading especially his analasys of the Villa game -

he confirms what i have been saying - that our left side with Baines\Pienaar is our main weapon in attack but also our soft underbelly in defense -

he confirms what i have been saying - that our left side with Baines\Pienaar is our main weapon in attack but also our soft underbelly in defense -

You don't need to read that to find that out. It's obvious to everyone.

does it go on to state the sky is blue?