IGNORED

Wigan FA cup

Finn balor

No but we are currently playing pretty poorly - and we have drawn an awful lot of games against lower half teams.

I think we peaked very early, and then failed to maintain that success.

I don't think our early season form was necessarily anything more than things going right, which in turn inspires confidence.

Turn the clock back to some very poor decisions against us, and injuries to Mirallas, Hibbert, and Gibson, and it's easy to see how momentum was lost. Moyes needs to make the players believe that the season is still there to be a success now, and if we're professional enough, we should respond.

Our transfer window and Moyes' contract has disheartened the fans recently, and a few of us need to calm, and recharge.

Be interesting to hear his opinion on McManaman's one on Haidara today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21732301

(Ah....just watched the vid "I haven't seen it....I hear he got the ball first....he hasn't got a nasty bone in his body..." rolleyes.gif )

He's come out and say that it was his Premier League debut and that he was just fired up. I agree that McManaman doesn't seem the sort to do that but it's still a shocking tackle. I'd expect Wigan to make a full apology (and step out of the FA Cup and let us back in :P).

Haïdara suffered potential knee ligament damage and the incident resulted in the Newcastle assistant manager, John Carver, and the Wigan coach Graham Barrow being sent to the stands after a scuffle developed at the end of the first half.

I think it's not as bad as first feared. I think he was able to go and get treatment without the assistance of an ambulance. I think he'll just be out for a few weeks rather than a few months.

Edit: Actually, after watching this McManaman's tackle looked rather fair (not for the faint hearted!).

http://bbcsporf.lockerdome.com/articles/106770869

Edited by Zoo

I don't think it's a "fucking joke" because it's within the rules....but it was a red card intent or no so he should have got a three game ban.

Aaah. If that's the case, then fair enough.

that's like sayin you shouldn't be done for manslaughter...obviously a lesser scale but ya know

:lol: That's the worst example ever.

It's closer to (as we're talking sport)....Two motor-X riders, hitting the same jump, at the same time but one is a little late, catches the other one, who veers off, crashes and is injured. It's not his fault that it happened or that the guy was injured as a result because he certainly had no intent to hurt him but it happened.

There is no intent to harm/hurt/cause injury by McManaman, so why should he get a 6/7/8 game ban?

o-CALLUM-MCMANAMAN-MASSADIO-HAIDARA-TACK

In this picture, he's trying to pull his momentum back. You can see it in his face, he doesn't want to hurt him.

There have been many an example of 'intent' and this is not one of them. I feel for the Newcastle lad but there was no way intent.

SHould he get a 3 game ban, yeah, for the injury that he's caused. Nothing more.

If it goes down the root of intent then we are looking at players doing the old accidentally on purpose. It is what it is.

At best the challenge was wreckless and used excessive force which is a 3 match ban. At worst he showed complete and utter disregard for the wellbeing of a fellow pro and followed through in a manner that could only be described as a career ender.

I havent seen any fellow pros come out and defend it which says it all really.

If he did that to Baines and Baines was stretchered off I am sure some views would be different.

I think a 3 match ban would have been fair. As far as I am concerned he clearly had no intention of causing injury to Haidara and his only focus was winning the ball. However he has to me more aware of who is around him if he is going to make that type of challenge for the ball because it was dangerous and looks as if it could have been far worse than it will be.

Although having said that there have been a lot more cases of players deliberately trying to foul and injure other players (Suarez on Distin comes to mind!) where nothing has been done whatsoever and barely anyone battered an eyelid. Just shows how shite the FA procedures are with dealing with things like this.

They need to change the rules for the 2013-14 season as from what I've heard the FA have made the right decision regarding the rules. From next season they should be able to ban a player if he has made a challenge as reckless as McManaman's.

I agree... needs to have a rule change. Here in Australia there is a football tribunal (AFL) that reviews matches for incidents, whether seen by officials at the time or not. Players can be called up for rough/dangerous tackles/play and have to front up on the Tuesday after a weekend. This is separate to reviewing in-game penalties for example yellow or red card decisions.

The incident is more a case of misfortune rather than malice or poor timing. After a few viewings it's hard to see how it could have been avoided, it wasn't a wild challenge the ball was their to be won and he's unlucky sliced it then instantly tried to pull out the challenge. If he'd not gone for the ball and Newc then scored during the same play people would be calling for his head saying he's a shit house and not experienced enough. Stuff like this is unfortunate, but will always happen in the game and shouldn't be punished. An apology should be enough. It's the players who cause harm with intent or idiotic challenges that we should be pushing for more severe punishments.