IGNORED

Di Canio

I believe Sunderland pulled the plug on Martin O'Neill too quickly. I have no doubt he would have kept them up. The players were complaining that he gave them too many days off but when they had it the other way with Mussolini the same ******* were moaning again.

Di Canio is a sandwich short of a picnic. Him standing in front of the mackem faithfull last Saturday gesturing and pouting was Mourihoesque and embarrassing.

I kind of like Gus Poyet but that gig is a poison challice.

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy that they've hired Poyet as Di Canio's replacement. A massive risk. It's pretty much the same as hiring Di Canio - a manager who has done well lower down the league's and been given a shot at the top league. It might all work out in the end but it's madness.

Edited by Romey 1878

I think Poyet is a massive risk right now, it may be the right appointment and certainly I would have favoured him over di canio, but they are 6 points from safety and he has to inherit players he may not have picked.

Based on the financial risk to sunderland if they are relegated, I would have gone all out for Redknapp. He gets the players united and working for him.

seems like a decent appointment. Did well at Brighton and Hove Albion, made himself recognized, and is hardly new to the managerial game.

They could have done better, they could have done worse, but still think Niall Quinn (again) would have been the best way forward. I don't know what ex fan-favorite John Byrne is doing now, but that could have been another avenue to explore.

Wow. It's a while since I've heard the full name. Do you happen to live in the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations?

I'm not convinced of this appointment. I have a feeling that Sunderland are, for the second time, setting themselves up for failure.

always a good brain teaser, football clubs with the letter V in their name - no one goes for Brighton

same as clubs with X - no one goes for crewe

Robert Maxwell tried to purchase the club once and thought he was buying two seperate clubs. Didn't realize BaHA was all one and the same. Around the same time he tried to merge Oxford United and Reading into "Thames Valley Royals" some will remember, so he wasn't the clearest thinker.

Incidentally no-one goes for the above, as you would automatically pick something like Vitesse Arnhem or VS Rugby or Valencia for example. There's a club team in Switzerland with an X in it's name also, Xamax something, but damned if I know the full title.

QPR? Exeter for X. Struggling for Z though... Does Penzance have a team??

Not really, but you reminded me of another Cornish team: St. Blazey. They played in the FA Cup qualifiers the other week. Still need an English team, though.

PS - For some reason, I never thought of QPR.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Cheating, but this might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England#Z

Unfortunately, since apple software is shite, I can't search on the page to see if there is one...

For 'z', there's Curzon Ashton, Devizes Town, and St. Blazey. Leighton Buzzard has two teams, but neither includes 'Buzzard' in their name.

For 'q', there's Bemerton Heath Harlequins, Newquay (another Cornish team - I should have remembered them), QPR, Quorn, Shaw Lane Aquaforce, Squires Gate, and Torquay United,

Cheating, but this might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England#Z

Unfortunately, since apple software is shite, I can't search on the page to see if there is one...

For 'z', there's Curzon Ashton, Devizes Town, and St. Blazey. Leighton Buzzard has two teams, but neither includes 'Buzzard' in their name.

For 'q', there's Bemerton Heath Harlequins, Newquay (another Cornish team - I should have remembered them), QPR, Quorn, Shaw Lane Aquaforce, Squires Gate, and Torquay United,

Torquay... Should've thought of that one. Did a FIFA manager with them once.

Suprised anyone in the United States has heard of Torquay United. Said it before, but apparently there's an interesting rule at Plainmoor Stadium in that 'it should always be open to the public at all times', so in theory, anyone can walk across it, even when a game is underway. I don't know of any other UK stadia that allows this. General pitch invaders and Idiot streakers not applicable obviously.

Suprised anyone in the United States has heard of Torquay United.

Growing up in Cornwall, there were only three teams within driving distance: Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City, and Torquay United - all in the lower divisions. The local sports news was always depressing because they'd often all lose.

PS - Over the last few years, Truro City did well - until their owner went bankrupt and the team was forced into administration. Maybe they could hire Di Canio. ;)

Edited by Cornish Steve

Suprised anyone in the United States has heard of Torquay United. Said it before, but apparently there's an interesting rule at Plainmoor Stadium in that 'it should always be open to the public at all times', so in theory, anyone can walk across it, even when a game is underway. I don't know of any other UK stadia that allows this. General pitch invaders and Idiot streakers not applicable obviously.

Play FIFA long enough and you learn about a lot of teams.

My commiserations.

It's the English Riviera isn't it ?

Visited there once or twice in the past but it was a good many years ago. Is the Pavilion Center still there ? Seemed a decent enough place. Fawlty Towers was set there, although don't know if it was actually filmed in the town. (all you ever saw was the interior) . Helen Chamberlain is the most "famous" supporter, although not a name to remember.

It's the English Riviera isn't it ?

Visited there once or twice in the past but it was a good many years ago. Is the Pavilion Center still there ? Seemed a decent enough place. Fawlty Towers was set there, although don't know if it was actually filmed in the town. (all you ever saw was the interior) . Helen Chamberlain is the most "famous" supporter, although not a name to remember.

Exterior shots were of Wooburn Grange Country Club in Buckinghamshire.

Caught fire and then demolished sadly (Basil must've been doing the fire drill).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTMLesoweY