IGNORED

Di Canio

A bit different from when Adebayour did it, he was doing it with the intention of winding up the Arsenal fans who had abused him during the game.

Di Canio was celebrating, very enthusiastically i admit, a goal in a derby. I'm pretty sure he isnt looking to make friends.

Besides, he did nothing Mourinho didnt do when he was at Chelsea, or Porto for that matter.

Steve, It wasnt just a bit different, it was a hell of lot different, like you said he did it to wind up the arsenal fans,

so do you think Di Canio going over the top like he did, didnt wind anybody up. ??

His behaviour, in some small way may have added fuel to the behaviour of the fans rioting after the game, their derbies are usually a bit like ours, not often any trouble, and certainly not on that scale.

Edited by Bill

Steve, It wasnt just a bit different, it was a hell of lot different, like you said he did it to wind up the arsenal fans,

so do you think Di Canio going over the top like he did, didnt wind anybody up. ??

His behaviour, in some small way may have added fuel to the behaviour of the fans rioting after the game, their derbies are usually a bit like ours, not often any trouble, and certainly not on that scale.

exactly, you said it was like when adebayor did it, see your post, i said it was different.

The difference being that adebayor did it with the aim of winding up the fans, di canio did it as he is just passonate and doesnt control his emotions.

I'm sure the Newcastle fans would have been just as wound up had martin o'neill been jumping up and down like he does when his teams score, as they were after di canio getting a bit lively. They were wound up because their team just got mullered by their rivals at home.

There's nothing wrong with a manager showing a bit of animation overseeing his clubs endeavors. That's one thing our manager often lacks. Just appears emotionless or even devoid of interest and stands poker faced through it all. Figures like Di Canio or anyone else you can think of, that get a bit heated during contests or wildly gesticulate etc, are maybe to be applauded. This isn't a sting on Moyes, only perhaps a comparison. Managers come in all sorts of variety but some will favor those manic ones who get a bit passionate during play.

• 5 months later...

I'm gutted about this as I actually like Di Canio as a man. It seems just yesterday that Sunderland fans were singing his name at the 3-0 victory they recorded over Newcastle. I think that Di Canio has some things to answer for given the way he's spent money over the summer but it's not really his fault that he was given the job? Sunderland fans need to look further than Paulo to see the reason why they are in the shit. Their board hired and in-experianced manager from the lower leagues and allowed him as much money as he wanted to blow. His attitude can't be used as an excuse either as it's been obvious ever since he came to England that he's a bit of a loose cannon - you simply don't sign Di Canio and expect him to get along with everyone 24/7.

Wish him all the best, top character. Apparantly he fell out with the whole of the team this morning and that was the final straw.

To me It was a foregone conlusion, he might have been ok in the lower leagues, but if you come to the prem and start slagging off your highly paid nancy boys, its a recipe for disaster. Players rule these days and obviously he not only upset players, but also upset members of his board.

When everybody was praising him on the appointment I said at the time "lets wait and see what happens". He was a bomb with a short fuse and had to explode sooner or later, Its no surprise to me.

Edited by Bill

To me It was a foregone conlusion, he might have been ok in the lower leagues, but if you come to the prem and start slagging off your highly paid nancy boys, its a recipe for disaster. Players rule these days and obviously he not only upset players, but also upset members of his board.

When everybody was praising him on the appointment I said at the time "lets wait and see what happens". He was a bomb with a short fuse and had to explode sooner or later, Its no surprise to me.

For "everyone" read "Zoo". As far as I can tell he was the only one on the planet (Sunderland chairman aside) who thought it was a good idea :lol:.

He just had to go, but he did show a lot of bottle facing the fans at the end, even after they just got hammererd again.

Mike, everybody was loving his over the top celebrating, but i said it would be his downfall but nobody would have it. He has upset too many people, especially in his own club.

Edited by Bill

For "everyone" read "Zoo". As far as I can tell he was the only one on the planet (Sunderland chairman aside) who thought it was a good idea :lol:.

I don't rememnber saying that tbh.

I questioned the appointment like everyone else but wasn't in hecamp that wasn't prepared to give him time. He's at fault for a lot of things but to see the real reason as to why Sunderland are in 20th the boadneed to be looked at.

He just had to go, but he did show a lot of bottle facing the fans at the end, even after they just got hammererd again.

Mike, everybody was loving his over the top celebrating, but i said it would be his downfall but nobody would have it. He has upset too many people, especially in his own club.

Over the top celebrating has nothing to do with him being a shite manager. People recognized his passion, I dont know anyone who would say hes a good manager.

I don't rememnber saying that tbh.

I questioned the appointment like everyone else but wasn't in hecamp that wasn't prepared to give him time. He's at fault for a lot of things but to see the real reason as to why Sunderland are in 20th the boadneed to be looked at.

Di Canio is a legend in my opinion. Someone who I really looked up to growing up, I'd love him to be manager of Everton in the future as I think he would do really well. His passion and enthusiasm as I said in an earlier thread is unquestionable and that's the main thing you need in any walk of life.

Over the top celebrating has nothing to do with him being a shite manager. People recognized his passion, I dont know anyone who would say hes a good manager.

???.

His passion was great and to be honest I think he may have read a few home truths to some of sunderlands mercenaries. The end of the day it's a results business, there will be some of those cowards just hoping the next manager gives them an easy ride... He's great entertainment you can't knock that.

Di Canio was yet another example of a former player that couldn't cut it at managerial level. Got nothing against the player, some will give plaudits for his goodwill actions in a league game with us when at West Ham when he stopped play to prevent a goal, and his antics in the Paul Allcock incident, but he should have found a job in the game in another capacity in retrospect.

Who they find as a replacement, all a bit indifferent, as not fussed how Sunderland do, but if Niall Quinn is available, could be worth a try again. Pity Ian Porterfield is no longer with us, as he would have been a decent shout to try once more.