IGNORED

Guinness International Champions Cup (2013 pre-season)

The website has been known for getting things wrong. They did it when we played against Juventus. It'll be sorted soon I'd imagine.

On another note, if we get drawn against AC Milan then Dalziel should get to have a match-day thread :P

The official website for the competition has Everton in fifth place playoff.

http://www.internationalchampionscup.com

The LA Galaxy website says LA Galaxy are playing Chelsea or Milan in the third place playoff:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2013/08/04/la-galaxy-play-third-place-match-against-either-chelsea-or-ac-milan

The competition's website says LA Galaxy are in the third place playoff:

http://internationalchampionscup.com/news/article/gonzalez-donovan-keane-pace-galaxy-past-juventus-3-1/

Omar Gonzalez and Landon Donovan both returned from the MLS All-Star Game to lead the LA Galaxy over two-time defending Italian league champion Juventus 3-1 on Saturday and give it a chance at third place in the Guinness International Champions Cup.

The competition's twitter feed says Everton are in the third place playoff, LA Galaxy in fifth.

https://twitter.com/IntChampionsCup/status/363880759410434049

And that's the final whistle! The LA Galaxy beat Juventus 3-1 to advance to the 5th place match in Miami! #ICC2013

https://twitter.com/IntChampionsCup/status/363843011978858496

.@everton will play in the third-place match on the same day from Sun Life Stadium! #ICC2013

The website from a few days ago says Everton are in the third place playoff, LA Galaxy in fifth.

Screenshot from before the website was updated: http://i.imgur.com/1pThLFo.jpg

But then there's a few lines of text below the format referring to points and goal difference, when they wouldn't be needed if it was a straight knockout cup.

Original rules:

* POSITION IN CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND DETERMINED BY PLACE IN BRACKET:

1. ALL MATCHES TIED AT THE END OF REGULATION DECIDED BY PENALTY KICKS

2. 2 POINTS FOR WIN, 1 POINT FOR PK LOSS, 0 POINTS FOR REGULATION LOSS

3. TIEBRAKERS a- Head to head, b- Goal differential, c- Goals for, d- Goals against

New rules:

* POSITION IN CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND DETERMINED BY PLACE IN BRACKET:

1. 2ND AND 3RD SEEDS IN CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND DETERMINED BY BRACKET SEEDING

2. ALL MATCHES TIED AT THE END OF REGULATION DECIDED BY PENALTY KICKS

3. 2 POINTS FOR WIN, 1 POINT FOR PK LOSS, 0 POINTS FOR REGULATION LOSS

4. TIEBREAKERS a- Head to head, b- Goal differential, c- Goals for, d- Goals against

It looks that way.

Everton's two games: 2 points (2 for PK win against Juventus, 0 for loss against Real Madrid - Goals for 2: Goals against 3: Goal difference -1)

LA Galaxy's two games 2 points (0 for loss against Real Madrid, 2 for win over Juventus - Goals for: 4, Goals against 4: Goal difference: 0)

Fell behind LA Galaxy on goal difference.

It looks like we are still playing Chelsea, Milan Inter MIlan or Valencia.. just not the highest seeded team as previously thought.

Been looking at the competition website since before it started. They have definitely changed the rules/format. We should now be playing the loser of AC Milan or Chelsea for third place. I think any excuse to get Galaxy playing on finals day! Still it's been a good tournament for preperasion.

Strange way for a tournament to operate.

Not overly bothered. Although, I would have loved to have won just for the fact Martinez would have won more than Moyes! :rofl:

Whoever we play they will be a good, strong opposition.

Out of curiosity, how were the teams chosen for the tournament?

The tournament is clearly ran by in-breds. The thing I care about is Everton and us moving forward as a club and getting better. Playing Juventus & Real Madrid is good enough for me and it's a bonus that we did so well. If we finish 3rd, 4th, 5th, 39th I couldn't care. So long as we take something from the tournament then I'm happy.

Last night's officiating made it clear this is the business of sports entertainment, not a genuine competition. The organizers earn more money when Real Madrid is in the final. They also make more money if an American team plays for third place rather than fourth. The commentators will praise the progress of MLS and the LA Galaxy for making 4th place, even though behind the scenes they rigged the rules to help them. For Everton, it's pre-season preparation against some of the best teams in the world - and we're paid good money to participate. We win no matter what. Who cares what the headlines read.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Last night's officiating made it clear this is the business of sports entertainment, not a genuine competition. The organizers earn more money when Real Madrid is in the final. They also make more money if an American team plays for third place rather than fourth. The commentators will praise the progress of MLS and the LA Galaxy for making 4th place, even though behind the scenes they rigged the rules to help them. For Everton, it's pre-season preparation against some of the best teams in the world - and we're paid good money to participate. We win no matter what. Who cares what the headlines read.

I'm sure the fans who have been shelling out thousands of pounds for flight tickets and $135 a ticket for the 3rd place game that had been falsely advertised sayimh we would be playing in by the piss poor promotors only for us now to be playing for 5th.

I don't care if its rigged. We're playing against top competition and were playing well at that. <br /><br />Learning the new system is most important with fitness a close second. <br /><br />

To a point yes, but the game is corrupt. Seriously this can not be taken lightly. It is a multi million pound industry and favouring the big boys has serious consequences for lesser branded teams - what will we make of it if we had another champions league qualifier against more prestigous opponents? My fear would be that again the referees will have been instructed to get the glamour team through.

Does anyone remember the 1995 FA Cup semi final? - people were talking of Spurs v United as the dream final... we were an annoying possibility for the pundits - dogs of war and all that. These days it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us struggle with refereeing decisions.

LA Galaxy played the same two teams as Everton and had the same results. A win and a loss. They had a more commanding win over Juventus and conceded one more goal against Madrid. As well as we played against Madrid, they were still the better team, whether you think we robbed or not.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I see what you are getting at, and I agree that it's not the most organized tournament. I'm mainly happy that we've had the opportunity to have a go at some top quality competition, and we played well against them at that. Really looking forward to this season!

OK - I just can't get my head around this.

Everton win the first match and lose the second - aggregate 2-3.

LA Galaxy lose the first match and win the second - aggregate 4-4.

Since aggregate rather than bracket determines 3rd-4th versus 5th-6th game, Everton are sent to the latter.

AC Milan win the first match and lose the second - aggregate 2-3.

Valencia lose the first match and win the second - aggregate 5-2.

So why are we playing Valencia and not AC Milan?????

OK - I just can't get my head around this.

Everton win the first match and lose the second - aggregate 2-3.

LA Galaxy lose the first match and win the second - aggregate 4-4.

Since aggregate rather than bracket determines 3rd-4th versus 5th-6th game, Everton are sent to the latter.

AC Milan win the first match and lose the second - aggregate 2-3.

Valencia lose the first match and win the second - aggregate 5-2.

So why are we playing Valencia and not AC Milan?????

Do you remember the "Why does everybody hate America" thread ? :dry:

• 5 months later...