IGNORED

Drenthe - to become a Royal?

Royston Drenthe is back in the news - looks very much like he will be signing a three year contract at Reading.

Here are a few articles of interest -

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/royston-drenthe-set-sign-reading-4310732

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130173/Everton-axe-Royston-Drenthe.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-royston-drenthe-admits-blew-1713759

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/15/royston-drenthe-everton-real-madrid

So ... words of wisdom please lads, given his colourful career, what can we expect?

Great, impactful, creative player, but is a headcase off the field. My one complaint of his performances was that he was a complete diver. If he doesn't flop over every time someone gets within two feet of him, and doesn't show up to training hungover or drunk from the night before, you've got an incredible player, especially by Championship standards.

great or shite..simple as

This.... mostly the latter.

He's a screw up. After screwing up (literally) at Everton and then not having his contract renewed at Real Madrid he 'worked' with his old fellow smackhead buddy and mentor Andy Nearly Meydit to find him a club where there would be no temptation. Van der Meyde went to the Russian city of Vladikavkaz and, after reporting back that the women were ugly and there was nothing to do there, Drenthe eventually signed for FC Alania Vladikavkaz joining them in February 2013 in an attempt to fool himself and everybody else that he isn't a screw up. He's scored 3 goals, all in one match, firing blanks on his other 20 outings, before their relegation from the RPL at the end of this season.

He's got a great attitude, though....... as long as it's all about him!

Thanks so much for your replies, to be honest I didn't expect they were going to be so positive as this on the whole. As Vital Football says "Reading on the verge of massive coup" and it certainly seems that Nigel Adkins has a different type of contacts than ex-manager Brian McDermott. On the wider scene, it looks like the Royals may well be becoming a kind of yo-yo team if we make a good campaign in the Championship next term. But in any case I'll keep looking in here, grateful for receiving me so nicely this current season lads ....

The potential was there, but as with some other anticipated team acquisitions at Goodison Park in recent seasons, it simply didn't work out. May have given a performance here and there and at times endeared himself to supporters but it wasn't all one way traffic. More power to you if you can bring him in.

seems he's got nothing but praise for you - this I've pinched off another Reading forum, sorry don't know where the source is:

Moyes Saved me

Toffees boss "was right in every way. I was not living like a professional player in Liverpool - I had no discipline at all. I hit rock bottom"

Royston Drenthe has admitted Everton manager David Moyes saved him from ending up in the gutter. Despite the fact that Moyes sent the ex-Real Madrid star packing, Drenthe is grateful for the Scot’s hard words.

“It was David Moyes who has opened my eyes," said 25-year-old Drenthe, who moved to Alania Vladikavkaz, 1200 miles south of Moscow. “I am fighting for my last chance in life and in football. I have just lost a stone in weight. I can only say that Moyes was right in every way. I was not living like a professional player in Liverpool. I can try and come up with all sorts of excuses, but that is not fair on anyone. I look in the mirror and I have to admit that I had to stop living the way I did. All players love to go out and hit the town. But I had no discipline at all. I hit rock bottom. I was close to ending up on the street again where I once was before I ­became a footballer.’’

Drenthe was caught on camera breaking into Everton’s training ground with women. He also turned up for training smelling of booze.

Drenthe said: “I was living in a ­different world. And I realise I have ruined it all myself. I used to confront David Moyes, thinking I had the right to talk to him like that. But in hindsight, he was so right about me most times. Now I can’t believe I blew it at ­Everton. It is one of the most fantastic clubs in the Premier League. My ­attitude and poor mentality are the reasons I ruined my career there.’’

He is a bit of an A$$ but he is a good player. I loved how he got on the ball wanted defenders to come to him and then run at them. He also had good pace on the wings which was needed at the time as Osman and Baines just wasn't working very well at times.

If this signing is true then good on Reading but again, he is a bit of an A$$ but is a good player who if he keeps his head srewed on. Will get you 15 goals a season.

He got four goals for us in 14 games. If Reading play him right and he has his head screwed on then yeah 15 goals or more.

He got 4 in 27 games : 14 starts, 13 as sub - 3 in 21 in the league (10 starts 11 as sub), 1 in 4 in the FA Cup (2 starts, 2sub), 0 in 2 in the League Cup (2 starts).

He'll be lucky to hit double figures, in any league, but he's not regarded as a striker as mentioned above so I wouldn't be expecting that from him for that reason and also because of his goalscoring record

As long as he can keep his nose clean (!) and every woman in Reading looks like a Russian shot putter he'll do alright and might just bag you those 15 goals promised.

You're in for some entertainment, one way or another.

Specially if you're a woman in Reading who looks like a Swedish beach volleyball player :P.