IGNORED

Stuart Broad should be ashamed of himself

Long gone, it seems, are the days when 'sportsman-like' was meant as a compliment. Examples abound of great individuals in sport demonstrating that fairness and fair play are more important than winning. Not so with Stuart Broad. Clearly today, he was out. The video replays showed beyond doubt that he had made contact with the ball and was caught at slip. The umpire missed it, but Broad had the opportunity to prove his character by walking back to the pavilion. He did not do so, and I for one believe he should be ashamed of himself. It's just not cricket.

No law to say he should walk, its up to the Umpire and the 3rd Umpire, tho the latter was not working at the time.

It was working, the Aussies had just used up their challenges.

And, like hell he should be ashamed! The Aussies don't walk and have benefited many times themselves. I'm sure they didn't give shit the previous day when Agar hadn't made his ground but was judged not out. Did he walk once he'd seen the replay? No, he went on to smash 98. What goes around comes around. England have been on the end of shitty decisions and they will be again, like every team. It's sport. Get on with it.

It's the umpires decision, there is an appeal process where decisions can be reviewed, the Aussies were obviously frivolous with these so it goes down to human error on the umpires behalf. We lost out with the Prior decision, we gained with the Broad decision - they say it evens itself out eventually!!!

I didn't say that. I mean it's a bit rich them complaining.

Yeh definitely, its not like they dont have a history of it themselves.

I've actually changed my mind a little, umpires are there to make the decisions and as long as the batsman isnt trying to con the umpire into believing that he didnt hit the ball (when he did) then its not his fault that the umpire can seen whats obvious to virtually everyone else! Broad just stood there and waited for the decision which he had every right to do.

I suppose I'm just old-fashioned. Personally, I admire the great sportsmen of the past. Take, for example, the legend of golf, Bobby Jones:

Bobby Jones was not only a consummately skilled golfer but exemplified the principles of sportsmanship and fair play. In the first round of the 1925 U.S. Open at the Worcester Country Club near Boston, his approach shot to the 11th hole's elevated green fell short into the deep rough of the embankment. As he took his stance to pitch onto the green, the head of his club brushed the grass and caused a slight movement of the ball. He took the shot, then informed his playing partner Walter Hagen and the USGA official covering their match that he was calling a penalty on himself. Hagen was unable to talk him out of it, and they continued play. After the round and before he signed his scorecard, officials argued with Jones but he insisted that he had violated Rule 18, moving a ball at rest after address, and took a 77 instead of the 76 he otherwise would have carded. Jones' self-imposed one-stroke penalty eventually cost him winning the Open by a stroke in regulation, necessitating a playoff he then lost. Although praised by many sports writers for his gesture, Jones was reported to have said, "You may as well praise a man for not robbing a bank."

With one simple act, Stuart Broad could have earned himself a reputation that would last a lifetime. Instead, he did what most of today's players do - acted selfishly.

I suppose I'm just old-fashioned. Personally, I admire the great sportsmen of the past. Take, for example, the legend of golf, Bobby Jones:

Bobby Jones was not only a consummately skilled golfer but exemplified the principles of sportsmanship and fair play. In the first round of the 1925 U.S. Open at the Worcester Country Club near Boston, his approach shot to the 11th hole's elevated green fell short into the deep rough of the embankment. As he took his stance to pitch onto the green, the head of his club brushed the grass and caused a slight movement of the ball. He took the shot, then informed his playing partner Walter Hagen and the USGA official covering their match that he was calling a penalty on himself. Hagen was unable to talk him out of it, and they continued play. After the round and before he signed his scorecard, officials argued with Jones but he insisted that he had violated Rule 18, moving a ball at rest after address, and took a 77 instead of the 76 he otherwise would have carded. Jones' self-imposed one-stroke penalty eventually cost him winning the Open by a stroke in regulation, necessitating a playoff he then lost. Although praised by many sports writers for his gesture, Jones was reported to have said, "You may as well praise a man for not robbing a bank."

With one simple act, Stuart Broad could have earned himself a reputation that would last a lifetime. Instead, he did what most of today's players do - acted selfishly.

That kind of contradicts itself lol.

Yes. he did earn a reputation :) - just not the one I'd want to have.

He is playing for a team, so not walking isn't selfish, but a decision for the team. Had he walked, and created a legacy (trust me, nobody would give a shit), that would have been selfish, as he then puts himself before the team. At top level team sport, you don't 'offer' yourself to the opposition by doing what you think is right. You sacrifice your own moralistic views or risk never being played again. Look up a recent interview with Gary Neville and check his opinion out.

Then I respectfully disagree. 'Sportsmanlike' has always been a compliment and something to aspire to. In our generation, it's been replaced by 'competitive', which includes using the letter of the law to your advantage. When I coached youth teams, we stayed with the original goal of sportsmanship. Despite usually finishing in the top two or three in the league, we were known for our sportsmanship. We even had players requesting to join our team because of our reputation. I was as proud of that as I was our achievements on the pitch.

Then I respectfully disagree. 'Sportsmanlike' has always been a compliment and something to aspire to. In our generation, it's been replaced by 'competitive', which includes using the letter of the law to your advantage. When I coached youth teams, we stayed with the original goal of sportsmanship. Despite usually finishing in the top two or three in the league, we were known for our sportsmanship. We even had players requesting to join our team because of our reputation. I was as proud of that as I was our achievements on the pitch.

I'm all for sportsmanship myself, but it's a different way of thought at top level.

It's not like he cheated - diving is cheating. Not walking knowing you've clipped the ball is not taking advantage of gaining honour.

No, but its like a defender tripping a striker in the box and claiming you didn't touch the guy when he goes down. Though I've never seen a defender admit to a penalty.

In a team sport I think calling a foul on yourself is a little controversial... now don't get me wrong I admire golfers who call themselves for grounding a club etc but it is a solo game that they are taking the hit for and no team mates have to suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sport in sport went out a long time ago. I used to play cricket to a decent level and I have 'walked' once. I've also initially given a batsman out, caught behind, whilst umpiring a game when he was clearly nowhere near the ball and the fielding captain, who was at slip, asked me to change the decision which I did and I then apologised to the batsman. Either incident doesn't make me sportsman-like, it was just what we did.

If it had been an Australian who bowled the ball I nicked I would not have walked. If the batsman I gave out incorrectly had been Australian I would not have changed my mind (I knew the captain of the fielding team who asked me to change my mind and he wouldn't have asked me to, either, if the batsman had been Australian!).

Treat like for like, an eye for an eye, in my book. Aussies are cheating scumbags when it comes to cricket, always have been, always will be, so they deserve nothing and to listen to them whine about it is just an added bonus.

When di Canio caught the ball when Gerrard was on the floor injured now that was a sportsman-like thing to do because an advantage could have been gained from someone else's misfortune but Broad has done nothing wrong - he could have been out next ball he faced so no advantage was gained by him not 'walking' following a ball from which no runs were scored.

Edited by Cake