IGNORED

Pre-season: Austria Vienna (Away)

Steve_E

Best Players I thought were Joel and Gibson. Baines played pretty well also. Duffy was disappointing unfortunately. It's only early but I think we have genuine competition for the starting keeper position. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

Some notes:

-Joel had a decent game, he was off his line early and made himself big to make a couple of saves one on one. I wasn't too impressed with his distribution though.

-Browning was bad. I expect him to be moved back to the U21s once Coleman or Stones return. I hope Stones will prove himself to be better than Hibbert as well.

-Jags, Distin and Duffy will need to do better in possession. Duffy is too slow for me. Get him out on loan to the Championship and evaluate again next year. i'm not too high on his chances of making it here though.

-Gibson played well, but started to tire badly and resorted to long balls in the second half. I expect more from Osman and Fellaini.

-Conor Grant looked useful. i hadn't even heard of him before this training camp, but he played smart, made the right decisions. No idea why he was subbed again after 20 minutes. Too bad some of the veterans refused to play in the youngsters at times when playing them in was the right option as well.

-I'll need to see more of Junior and Kennedy. Both did well defending a couple of times though.

This isn't the club side we beat in the 1985 ECWC Final though is it. Don't think I was quite aware there were two club sides in Vienna.

Time must be all but up by now, and as stated before, it's only a rather immaterial pre season game despite being RM first official game in charge but you never can read too much into these damn pre season games.

Jags needs to stop making these silly mistakes. They don't just affect him, but the rest of the team, and they can be season changers. I half watched the whole match, as I was busy working on my site, so can't really judge players fairly, but I didn't think Duffy looked too comfortable today with the pace of their striker.

Whole team unsurprisingly looked out of shape, but if you saw the interview Martinez gave a couple of days ago you would have predicted as much. Apart from Joel looking the business I don't think there was much to take away from today's performance. Just a first run out to get the boys to realize that the season is approaching. I'll be much more interested to see what happens when the head stateside.

It makes you wonder how we survived as kids playing football for hours on end 7 days a week, never getting tired, and disgruntled when we had to go in, and yet top professionals take a few weeks holiday and they are unfit. :dont know:

And they're paid tens of thousands of pounds a week as well.

That's not the word, or words, I would describe some of them as, but let's keep it clean. Too much greed and avarice in soccer today, It's one reason why I've lost significant interest in recent years. There has to be a salary cap introduced.

Last look back on this fixture and as always, it's only a pre season game with a number of key players omitted, Martinez' first game in charge or otherwise, and the opposition seemed no pushovers and no side was hardly going to give 100 per cent on this so we can't really look too much into it. Proper time to make judgments will be the actual business of domestics when the new season gets underway in a few months although of course there will be other pre season fixtures to indulge in, so one step at a time etc.

It makes you wonder how we survived as kids playing football for hours on end 7 days a week, never getting tired, and disgruntled when we had to go in, and yet top professionals take a few weeks holiday and they are unfit. :dont know:

I just think at the higher level of football a small difference in fitness makes a massive difference in performance - Rooney is a prime example of this.

Don't forget they will have been getting beasted and will be feeling the fatique from all the sprints they are doing.

Managed to catch the highlights on YouTube, and we looked decent in parts although it was quite worrying how many clear cut chances Austria Wien were able to carve out.

Also bit disturbed by the 2 hooded blokes cutting up the Everton flag about 3.30 into the video. Couldn't work out if they were locals or disgruntled blues.

Just watched 20 mins of 'extended highlights' on the OS. Pretty disappointed to be completely honest. It looked like they were carving us apart. Yes they're only a week away from beginning their season, but it looked like it could have been 5-1 if not for a few decent saves from Joel and the crossbar on one particular chance.

I still believe Martinez's poor record of defending will be scrapped here because we have quality defence, but that video made me think only for a second that maybe his style of play will compromise our defence.

Anyway, still only a friendly, and not even close to our regular first team so I guess I'll pull a DK here and say you can't read into it too much.

That's not the word, or words, I would describe some of them as, but let's keep it clean. Too much greed and avarice in soccer today, It's one reason why I've lost significant interest in recent years. There has to be a salary cap introduced.

Last look back on this fixture and as always, it's only a pre season game with a number of key players omitted, Martinez' first game in charge or otherwise, and the opposition seemed no pushovers and no side was hardly going to give 100 per cent on this so we can't really look too much into it. Proper time to make judgments will be the actual business of domestics when the new season gets underway in a few months although of course there will be other pre season fixtures to indulge in, so one step at a time etc.

Don't always agree with you, but here you are spot on. Way too much money going to a bunch of kids who don't really need it. Seriously doubt the quality of football would suffer much even if the cap was 5,000 a week. The fact that we allow sportsmen to be paid more per year than most workers will see in their lives to simply chase a ball beggars belief. Course, problem is how do you get everyone to play ball in a global market? Wish I knew.

I paid for it, and have used the share facility that came with the video, before posting it on a private page. I'd say it was perfectly legal. :dont know:

fair enough. just seems strange that Everton would allow only 1 person to pay!

edit: just thought on, might be that you share but they still have to pay to see... still spamming though :shaking fist:

Edited by Matt

fair enough. just seems strange that Everton would allow only 1 person to pay!

edit: just thought on, might be that you share but they still have to pay to see... still spamming though :shaking fist:

Stop waffling :lol:

I'm going to take it down soon anyway, as everybody presumes I'm only spamming, and nobody ever says "Gee, thanks Av" which kind of shows me it ain't worth being nice to folk.