IGNORED

Juventus

Romey 1878

Stones was my MOTM. He did not look out of place at all, and, like I said, looked our most comfortable defender of the night.

Martinez clearly rates him very highly, or he wouldn't start against a side like Juventus, and it looks like he has a very good chance of playing regularly this season. Obviously he's jumped far ahead of Duffy in Martinez's thoughts.

Feel a bit sorry for Shane, he got bumped about by Moyes and it doesn't look as though he will play much under Martinez, he's just not Roberto's sort of player. Few of the post's suggesting that Jags passing wasn't to shit hot in that game, what did you think Romey?

Feel a bit sorry for Shane, he got bumped about by Moyes and it doesn't look as though he will play much under Martinez, he's just not Roberto's sort of player. Few of the post's suggesting that Jags passing wasn't to shit hot in that game, what did you think Romey?

It wasnt the best tbh, but I don't think that's ever going to change now. He looked more comfortable in a back three than Distin though, which is probably more important.

Can someone write up a little diagram of the team playing today? Stones Jags and Distin at the back, Coleman and Baines attacking wing backs, where did the rest fit in?

Distin, Jagielka, Stones were the centre backs. Baines and Coleman wing backs. Gibson and Fellaini in the middle of the park. Pienaar on the left, Mirallas on the right, Anichebe up top.

I didn't think Jags passing was that bad to be honest. Can't remember him giving it away much. Distin looked unusually flustered though.

Fellaini looked calm and in control for me. I thought he struggled more in the second half due to Juve closing him down fast and hard. They are a physical team.

Though he didn't do anything of any real note.

Stones was brilliant for his age, or any age.

Mirallas was a ghost in the first half but came alive second half and showed what a threat he can be.

Ossie...poor Ossie. Gave the goal away then missed his pen. Head up mate.

Gibbo had a quiet game and looked tired second half.

Anichebe was a handful and again proved he can be a real menace to defenders.

Baines and Pienaar were their same old energy and movement. Pienaar gave away a few passes but seemed to be everywhere we did something good.

Coleman again impressive. He seems to be getting better every game.

Jags was okay for me. Didn't do too much damage(thankfully) with the odd bad pass.

Stones was simply brilliant. Kudos to Moyes for picking him up and to Roberto for playing him. Easily the MOTM for me.

Distin showed great athleticism even though he did get a little flustered as others have said.

Baines put in a few decent cross -- not too much to talk about really.

Coleman was one of the better players. He's really come a long way and is one of my favorites now.

Gibson, quiet and looked out-of-shape.

Fellaini -- calm and collected until he started getting pressured more, not too much else to say on that.

Pienaar was decent. Showed poise and control through most of the game.

Mirallas had a great second half and a great goal to boot. Not much to say about the first half.

Anichebe was hit or miss for me, but he showed how he can be a menace and was very physical the entire game until subbed.

Howard was sensational and was unlucky to have conceded a goal. 2nd for MOTM.

SUBS:

Osman... ouch... is all I can say.

Barkley, had little time to do much. Had a nice shot at the end and took a good penalty.

Oviedo -- looked alright. Showed his pace and had a couple of good runs. I think Martinez rates him highly.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I was unable to see the game or follow updates last night but what was it, a win over Juventus by way of a shoot-out. And what's more it appears the team we fielded mostly did well to gain a shock success. Howard man of the match by all accounts and hope those who went to California enjoyed their trip and overall event. Los Angeles or Real Madrid up next, and if we can duplicate another success over the latter, it really would bring things into focus. That was a good win for Martinez so early in his management and the club as a whole, even if it was only a pre-season event.

Got to say, I was very impressed. I thought the first 20 mins or so we were all over them. Considering the team have been learning two new systems for only a month I'm blown over to be honest.

I'm liking Fellaini and Gibson as a partnership. Neither set the world on fire today, but they also didn't really let the Juve players do much either. I'm more than happy for both of these to be anonymous in every game this season if it keeps the opposition at bay and let's the other players have the freedom to attack.

Mirallas seems to be growing even more, scoring goals and causing all kinds of trouble to what is a well drilled Italian title holder.

Stones is really staking a claim, I've seen a few people mention Duffy dropping down the pecking order. I think there might be a few more centre halfs at Everton worrying about this kid. In the last two games he's really looked the part. I hope we get Madrid and he keeps his place. See how he handles them. The future is bright for this lad.

I'm turning into a fully paid up member of Haf's Martinez Appreciation Society. With every game we play I'm getting more and more excited about the future. I can't wait until the weekend for another game, I just want to watch us play. We will be one of the most exciting teams to see play in the premier league next season.

Also, we've not even seen the Spanish boy wonder yet!

WOW !!! What a performance against a legendary side full of world stars !!!!

Well done Roberto Martinez and the whole Everton team.

Everton looked hungrier and were not intimidated at all by their superstar opponents.

Famous victory for Everton in their first ever encounter with the Italian giants.

I am sure there are a few envious English clubs looking with long eyes at us.

May the Roberto story just grow bigger and bigger.

We have shown that we are capable of beating the best in Europe - not with luck but by outplaying them.

Excited....bring on the PL

Yes it was a good result, but I've given one or two thoughts about this and when we played Ajax in the summer of 1997 in a pre-season (and back then, they had a very good squad, recent European Cup winners and finalists and while one or two star names had since gone, were still one of Europes best) and this Juve win could maybe be the biggest or high profile pre-season win since all those years ago, but point being, in the league, we went on to escape relegation by goal difference and the manager was fired, so you never can tell what will occur, and it's just that this high profile win today brought back some memories from times before.

Just curious, is Stones a CB primarily? I was under the impression he was a right back and would be Seamus understudy/back up for the coming years. However if he's a mix of the two I supposed he'd be suited well to that three ay the back formation.

WOW !!! What a performance against a legendary side full of world stars !!!!

Well done Roberto Martinez and the whole Everton team.

Everton looked hungrier and were not intimidated at all by their superstar opponents.

Famous victory for Everton in their first ever encounter with the Italian giants.

I am sure there are a few envious English clubs looking with long eyes at us.

May the Roberto story just grow bigger and bigger.

We have shown that we are capable of beating the best in Europe - not with luck but by outplaying them.

Subscription rates have gone up Steve.

We have got ourselves a legend in the making with Martinez. For me it's the positivity that he oozes, just watch him being interviewed, you wanna play for him, you know you wouldn't want to let him down. He's at the right club at the right time. We got the manager united should have gone for - that I fully believe.

Just curious, is Stones a CB primarily? I was under the impression he was a right back and would be Seamus understudy/back up for the coming years. However if he's a mix of the two I supposed he'd be suited well to that three ay the back formation.

He was brought in as a long term replacement for Jags i think

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why you're laughing....was a dreadful penalty :happy:.

Nice to see the Juve bench laughing at it though....Tim Howard obviously thought it should've counted :P.

:)

Talk about dreadful penalties.. first time I've seen them... I'll bet Seamus is glad the keeper went the wrong way..... :huh: ...... as for Mr Inch Perfect Pirlo......he might have done alright if the goal had been sideways to him....... :yay:

:)

Talk about dreadful penalties.. first time I've seen them... I'll bet Seamus is glad the keeper went the wrong way..... :huh: ...... as for Mr Inch Perfect Pirlo......he might have done alright if the goal had been sideways to him....... :yay:

Pirlo was screwed by Tim not moving imo....had to change his mind as he took it, and that's always the best way to miss.