IGNORED

just my intro to toffee talk

Mike Preece

well iam amazed that the im 49 but supported everton 39 years bit caused a bit of a stir,let me explain,i was 10 years old when

I started to get into football big time.i wanted to follow a team different to everyone following bloody Liverpool ( even then I knew a bad

lot when I saw them).and I don't like the colour red,so it was everton for me cos no one else I knew ( at the time) followed them.

as you all know everton are addictive and a life long thing.

also someone commented on my lack of paragraphs etc.well put it this way a computer buff I aint.must admit surprised to see fellow

blues squabbling about it.that stuff belongs to fans of the other lot.

anyway hope ive cleared things up a bit and my computer use gets better..cheers all...mike

and I,d to add a bit more about the emotional side.This club is in my heart,im delighted when we win,gutted when we lose

and furious when the lads don't do themselves justice like the wigan cup game.cos like a fool I allowed myself a dream really

thought our name was on that cup.

I get the same buzz around goodison now as I did at my first home game,a 1-1 end of season draw with Ipswich (1980 im think.but

of course im getting on,my memory aint what it was.the lowest crowd ive been in at goodison was a 4-1 win over notts county

when Adrian heath scored a hat trick and there was 14,ooo there.The 84 cup final will always be my special memory out of

so many,because It was our breakthrough after all those years,and the shit I put up with off Liverpool fans.being there and seeing

rats lift that f.a cup was incredible and I was just so dam proud.

and those who remember it will never forget the pain of west ham in 1980,and the 1 Welshman I hate clive Thomas and what he cost

us in 1977 against the enemy.

and old Trafford fa cup quarter final 1983,when both our team and fans were magnificent,but lou macari haeded down to stapleton

in injury time and we were robbed.to make it worse I was in the Stretford end with 3 jubilant united friends.

well,think ive explained myself to you all,i don't intend to ever get into arguments and bickering on toffee talk.

I just joined to read and share my love of the best club on the earth..im just very proud to be an evertonian.

ps just noticed I spelt headed wrong earlier,..us old guys eh !

Thought some of you might like this one.

about 20 years ago I worked for a firm making riding and safety helmets in Pontypool, gwent.

one day an insurance rep called in the factory touting for business. I thought I know you from somewhere, and was chuffed when I realised who it was,

had to be sure so I asked excuse me is your name brian harris ? yes it was our former classy player from the 60,s.

had a great long chat to him about all things everton, his part and experience of the 1963 championship team and that incredible F.A cup final of 1966.

he told me about his devastation on being burgled and having his medals stolen, and how after playing for both Cardiff and Newport county and how

he fell on some hard times. At the time he was living in Chepstow.

Obviously I was too young to have seen Brian play and to be honest didn't know that much about him.

but I instantly recoqnised his face from old Everton photos, and his face was just the same .Grey hair the only difference.

What a tonic on a normal old work day to meet an ex Everton star and perfect gent. He was so proud to have worn that royal blue shirt.

a really memorable day for me. Is Brian still with us ? Could anyone tell me or is he sadly no longer with us and I have,nt heard ?

Apparently Brian Harris lived in my road, i would love to think I live in his old house!

Mike, I managed to read through all the shite you had to endure on your introduction thread. Apologies, as much as dalziel Kane likes to think he's an intellect he manages to just about use google to copy and paste facts. Glad to read your story of your association with the club, stick around!

Apparently Brian Harris lived in my road, i would love to think I live in his old house!

Mike, I managed to read through all the shite you had to endure on your introduction thread. Apologies, as much as dalziel Kane likes to think he's an intellect he manages to just about use google to copy and paste facts. Glad to read your story of your association with the club, stick around!

I expected better from you. Yes I'm intellectual. Had a good fucking education, amassed more knowledge than most people could ever know or realize. As for the facts issue, Yes of course most of them are taken from elsewhere, couldn't possibly remember every single and relevant detail from years back, but something I decided to undertake, and if it's not appreciated then so be it. Been a supporter of this club for some 36 years now, so don't come with it thinking I'm some goddamn amateur with club history and knowledge. Been a follower longer that most on these pages, so show a bit of respect if you can allow it.

Said would not respond to this again but got to have some fucking line of defense.

Last time I'm going to participate in this and say welcome again to this latest individual. I apologize unreservedly for pointing out there should have been a damn paragraph break in the initial post - and lo and behold it's now been amended. Seemed innocent enough to begin with, but one or two took it upon themselves to become belligerent or make things difficult, over some stupid little thing or minor issue. There was never any fucking harm intended on this in the first place. End of Story

I expected better from you. Yes I'm intellectual. Had a good fucking education, amassed more knowledge than most people could ever know or realize. As for the facts issue, Yes of course most of them are taken from elsewhere, couldn't possibly remember every single and relevant detail from years back, but something I decided to undertake, and if it's not appreciated then so be it. Been a supporter of this club for some 36 years now, so don't come with it thinking I'm some goddamn amateur with club history and knowledge. Been a follower longer that most on these pages, so show a bit of respect if you can allow it.

Said would not respond to this again but got to have some fucking line of defense.

Last time I'm going to participate in this and say welcome again to this latest individual. I apologize unreservedly for pointing out there should have been a damn paragraph break in the initial post - and lo and behold it's now been amended. Seemed innocent enough to begin with, but one or two took it upon themselves to become belligerent or make things difficult, over some stupid little thing or minor issue. There was never any fucking harm intended on this in the first place. End of Story

I think the point made by many is that we are trying to make a welcoming forum - if every new member gets some comment regarding their ability to structure, sentances, paragraphs, make spellings then they will be off before we know it.

This new member is the type of blue we want posting - a well tenured, passionate sort. I just think your reply was rude basically.

Anyway... we move on...

Thanks for the welcome off most of you, appreciate it. Want to say a few things.

1. I joined Toffee talk to read about, join in debates, and add my bit to all things Everton.

2.I appreciate my first post was poorly laid out and not spaced right, but im new to computers and didn't really know how to do it.

But im learning as I go along.

3. Really shocked at the arguments and bickering. Will never get involved in that nonsense, what is the point ?

4. If anyone likes my posts and finds them interesting, fine thanks to all who commented.

But if you don't like my posts, also fine, everyone entitled to their opinion, but just leave me out of the bullshit.

5. One thing I don't do is lie or make up yarns for the sake of it, people who know me trust me,

Got a great bunch of friends, and looking forward to our annual lads Blackpool trip on Oct 4th, about 16 of us going.

Point being I don't slag people off, always say things to peoples faces. So I,ll never criticise any one on Toffee talk.

If I have a different opinion to a fellow members post, I wont resort to insults or point scoring.

6. Lastly and most importantly we are all fans of the best club on earth, we all love Everton football club

and at the end of the day, isn't that all that matters ?.

Thanks for the welcome off most of you, appreciate it. Want to say a few things.

1. I joined Toffee talk to read about, join in debates, and add my bit to all things Everton.

2.I appreciate my first post was poorly laid out and not spaced right, but im new to computers and didn't really know how to do it.

3. Really shocked at the arguments and bickering. Will never get involved in that nonsense, what is the point ?

4. If anyone likes my posts and finds them interesting, fine thanks to all who commented.

But if you don't like my posts, also fine, everyone entitled to their opinion, but just leave me out of the bullshit.

5. One thing I don't do is lie or make up yarns for the sake of it, people who know me trust me,

Got a great bunch of friends, and looking forward to our annual lads Blackpool trip on Oct 4th, about 16 of us going.

Point being I don't slag people off, always say things to peoples faces. So I,ll never criticise any one on Toffee talk.

If I have a different opinion to a fellow members post, I wont resort to insults or point scoring.

6. Lastly and most importantly we are all fans of the best club on earth, we all love Everton football club

I like you already Mike. Make sure you stick around.

By the way in your opinion who is the best ball player in a blue shirt you have seen?

:worship[1]:

Replying to a question off Coffin dodger about who,s the best Everton ball player ?

Thought long and hard about this, and could,nt pinpoint just one, so had to pick the ones that stood out for me. And there are a good few.

So in order of time heres mine.

1. Duncan Mackenzie.

A superb natural talent, he oozed skill and a great entertainer and had that unpredictable genius. He had that charisma, added a touch of Hollywood if you

like. Trouble was he was to individual for a disciplinarian like Gordon Lee. Well loved and still is at Goodison.

2.Dave Thomas.

One of the unluckiest players ever, could have been an Everton legend. He was the idol of QPR when we signed him.

Fit and at his best, what a player. When he raced down the wing the ball was glued to his feet, left opposition players for dead, and would have been

an England regular. Sadly Dave was cursed by injuries, ruined his career. In full flow a sight to remember.

3.Adrian Heath.

When we first signed Inchy I among many others was,nt that impressed, but how wrong we were. Great first touch, could turn in a flash

and had such a deceptive pace, so quick over short bursts. He caused havoc running into penalty areas, mazy runs, tight close control.

Him and Sharpy my favourite Everton front two without a doubt.

I,ll never forget that awful day he got that long term injury. I was at the game v Sheffield Wednesday on a horrible rain lashed day.

Happened in front of the main stand and you could instantly see it was a real bad one. If my memory serves me right it was Brian Marwood who

knobbled Adrian with an atrocious challenge. Game finished 1-1 but it was irrelevant.

We then signed Andy Gray and Inchy was never the same player, still good but he was brilliant before that injury robbed us of him.

4.Trevor Steven

Mr cool. so comfortable on the ball always seemed to have time and space. Great with 1 2 passing and never seem to be ruffled. Didn't even seem to break

into a sweat, didn't have to cos he was that good. And on the other wing Everton,s all time king of free kicks Kevin Sheedy.

Why is it that whenever pundits talk about the great teams of the past, ours is never mentioned ?

Best Everton team ive ever seen an honour to watch them. And I think one of the best teams of all time. Totally pisses me off the lack of

respect todays so called experts give them. All they remember is sodding Liverpool.

5.Andre Kanchelskis.

What an amazing first season he had with us. So fast, so athletic, skinned defenders alive, tremendously exciting to watch, always had Goodison on

its feet We signed a world class player, the excitement when he first came was awesome.

Sadly he seemed to fade just as fast. But for a time he thrilled us all.

6. Peter Beardsley

Besides having such talent beardo was a grafter, a totally unselfish but great player. Unmarkable, all over the place, a man who really put

in a shift and never let us down and an eye for the goal.

It is the measure of the man that he is totally respected at every club he played for, and that is a rare thing.

Modest man let his talent do the talking.

7, Thomas Gravesen

Does this surprise anyone ? it just might, But ive saw Tommy play like a Brazillian, he could be breathtaking..Passing, setting off on runs, dribbling like a

Maradona and breaking up every opposing play, ably assisted by the workhorse Lee Carsley.

Trouble with our Tommy was the very next match he,d turn into a lunatic, hacking people down, getting carded constantly and generally playing like

a headless chicken. You would not believe it was the same man.

A real Jekyll and Hyde character, but at his best a great Everton player.

8.Kevin Mirallas.

Of the current team, he,s the one that excites me, always looks like something is going to happen, crowd favourite and again a very skilful lad

Some rough edges, does,nt always make the right decisions but he has all the attributes in place. Hope we can hold on to him.

I also rate Bryan Oviedo very highly, and want to see a lot more of him.

Well there you are Mr Dodger, hope it was,nt to long for you, but your question required and deserved a well thought response.

And I just could,nt mention 1 player.

PS Thought of Mikel Artete, but to be honest sick of how he,s become Mr Arsenal like he never played for us. Just don't like it.

Wheres your trophies them Mikey ? Forgive me my bitter blue, but he pisses me off.

Replying to a question off Coffin dodger about who,s the best Everton ball player ?

Thought long and hard about this, and could,nt pinpoint just one, so had to pick the ones that stood out for me. And there are a good few.

So in order of time heres mine.

1. Duncan Mackenzie.

A superb natural talent, he oozed skill and a great entertainer and had that unpredictable genius. He had that charisma, added a touch of Hollywood if you

like. Trouble was he was to individual for a disciplinarian like Gordon Lee. Well loved and still is at Goodison.

2.Dave Thomas.

One of the unluckiest players ever, could have been an Everton legend. He was the idol of QPR when we signed him.

Fit and at his best, what a player. When he raced down the wing the ball was glued to his feet, left opposition players for dead, and would have been

an England regular. Sadly Dave was cursed by injuries, ruined his career. In full flow a sight to remember.

3.Adrian Heath.

When we first signed Inchy I among many others was,nt that impressed, but how wrong we were. Great first touch, could turn in a flash

and had such a deceptive pace, so quick over short bursts. He caused havoc running into penalty areas, mazy runs, tight close control.

Him and Sharpy my favourite Everton front two without a doubt.

I,ll never forget that awful day he got that long term injury. I was at the game v Sheffield Wednesday on a horrible rain lashed day.

Happened in front of the main stand and you could instantly see it was a real bad one. If my memory serves me right it was Brian Marwood who

knobbled Adrian with an atrocious challenge. Game finished 1-1 but it was irrelevant.

We then signed Andy Gray and Inchy was never the same player, still good but he was brilliant before that injury robbed us of him.

4.Trevor Steven

Mr cool. so comfortable on the ball always seemed to have time and space. Great with 1 2 passing and never seem to be ruffled. Didn't even seem to break

into a sweat, didn't have to cos he was that good. And on the other wing Everton,s all time king of free kicks Kevin Sheedy.

Why is it that whenever pundits talk about the great teams of the past, ours is never mentioned ?

Best Everton team ive ever seen an honour to watch them. And I think one of the best teams of all time. Totally pisses me off the lack of

respect todays so called experts give them. All they remember is sodding Liverpool.

5.Andre Kanchelskis.

What an amazing first season he had with us. So fast, so athletic, skinned defenders alive, tremendously exciting to watch, always had Goodison on

its feet We signed a world class player, the excitement when he first came was awesome.

Sadly he seemed to fade just as fast. But for a time he thrilled us all.

6. Peter Beardsley

Besides having such talent beardo was a grafter, a totally unselfish but great player. Unmarkable, all over the place, a man who really put

in a shift and never let us down and an eye for the goal.

It is the measure of the man that he is totally respected at every club he played for, and that is a rare thing.

Modest man let his talent do the talking.

7, Thomas Gravesen

Does this surprise anyone ? it just might, But ive saw Tommy play like a Brazillian, he could be breathtaking..Passing, setting off on runs, dribbling like a

Maradona and breaking up every opposing play, ably assisted by the workhorse Lee Carsley.

Trouble with our Tommy was the very next match he,d turn into a lunatic, hacking people down, getting carded constantly and generally playing like

a headless chicken. You would not believe it was the same man.

A real Jekyll and Hyde character, but at his best a great Everton player.

8.Kevin Mirallas.

Of the current team, he,s the one that excites me, always looks like something is going to happen, crowd favourite and again a very skilful lad

Some rough edges, does,nt always make the right decisions but he has all the attributes in place. Hope we can hold on to him.

I also rate Bryan Oviedo very highly, and want to see a lot more of him.

Well there you are Mr Dodger, hope it was,nt to long for you, but your question required and deserved a well thought response.

And I just could,nt mention 1 player.

PS Thought of Mikel Artete, but to be honest sick of how he,s become Mr Arsenal like he never played for us. Just don't like it.

Wheres your trophies them Mikey ? Forgive me my bitter blue, but he pisses me off.

Great answer, I agree with most of what you said too. (Always rated Martin Dobson too and of course see my signature)

By the way you can call me Rubes if you like tis easier to type LOL

I can only go when there is a trip cos cant afford to drive up alone.i know there is a south wales branch,but I,ll contact them when or if I can go more often.

Only just noticed this bit. Don't know exactly where you are but the Westcountry Blues have a coach to every (I think) home game, and they do a pick-up stop at junction 16 on the M5 which is just over the Severn Bridge so only about forty miles from Cardiff. May be of use to you. I've travelled with them several times :).

http://www.westcountryblues.org.uk/index.html

To Mike O,

Thanks for the info mate, but there is a South Wales branch and the minute I could go more regular I'll contact them.

Still trying to get a ticket for Cardiff, and I was due to go to Goodison for the Newcastle game, but bloody Sky

picked it for a Monday night. Now a trip is planned for the Hull City game.

Want nothing more than to go as often as I used to, but until then I go when I can.

Again Mike O, thank you for thinking of me.

Im just sorry that you felt like you had to comment the bickering in one of your first posts. Hope you stick around.