IGNORED

Tim Howard

Lets get this out of the way: I'm biased. Tim Howard is the reason I became an Everton fan. Cool, that's out of the way.

There was a lot of talk about needing to replace Howard last season and during the summer. I think an upgrade on Mucha was sorely needed and obviously Howard is approaching the climax of his career. That being said, he's been an absolute rock in the back and a much needed leading voice for the backline as the team adjusts to Martinez' tactics and young guys like Oviedo & Stones have had to step in. He doesn't have the same athletic ability that he did five years ago but his soccer IQ is through the roof, he's a natural leader, and those instincts make up for that loss of dexterity. Maybe I'm being ridiculous here, but I'm hard-pressed to find another goalkeeper in EPL that I'd rather have for a given game right now than Howard. At 34 years old I don't think it's unreasonable to think he can give us 2-4 more quality seasons.

i'm a yank and timmy is also the reason i started being a toffees fan. i feel he really stepped it up when we got robles from athletico. it's great because tim will be able to play for a few more years and mentor the young guy.

so glad he's on point this season. i'm not over the moon for all these yellow cards he keeps getting (1 away from suspension), but he's aggressive.

• 2 months later...

He was interviewed by FIFA magazine last week

Page 30 of this:
http://www.fifa.com/mm//Document/AF-Magazine/FIFAWeekly/02/27/86/02/LowRes_eng_Woche07_2014_Neutral.PDF

11 questions, the first 3 are about Man Utd.

Tim Howard, seven years ago you left Manchester United on bad terms. Today you seem to be right at home at Everton.

Tim Howard: Yes, I really like it at Everton, I like the city and the fans. It was a great experience being at Manchester United but in 2005 the club signed Edwin van der Sar shortly after I’d extended my contract. At first that annoyed me but I don’t have a problem with it now, it’s just part and parcel of football. And Everton are a great club.

Manchester United are not doing so well at present. Do you keep in touch with your old club?

I still live in Manchester but I don’t really have any special contact there, no.

Do you think Sir Alex Ferguson could return to the touchline at Manchester United?

No I don’t think so. He immortalised himself at the club after such an incredible time there but he’s enjoying retirement now. I liked him a lot as a person and as a coach, it was an honour to play under him.

On YouTube there is a wonderful clip involving you from a game between Everton and Bolton.

You mean the goal from two years ago?

Precisely. It was only the fourth goal scored by a goalkeeper in Premier League history.

I get asked about that a lot. It was a windy evening in Liverpool and in the second half I kicked the ball out of my area. It landed twenty metres in front of the opposition’s goal, bounced over Bolton’s keeper and somehow landed in their net. It was completely unintentional. I felt sorry for [Adam] Bogdan, Bolton’s keeper, as I’ve conceded a goal that way myself. It’s not a nice feeling.

Earlier in your career you played for New York Metro Stars for five years and were back-up for one of America’s footballing icons, Tony Meola. What was he like?

Tony was my mentor and he’s a great person. I learned a lot from him and I got into professional football thanks to him. He helped me so much as a young player by being open and honest with me, and by talking to me a lot. We still speak on the phone regularly, in fact just last week he called me. He works in television in the US now.

Football is still not very big in the USA. What is your take on that as a player?

Soccer’s in really good shape in the US, there are good foundations there and the fan culture’s good too. Our football has a good future even if it’s not the number one sport in the country.

The US national team like to attack. Are they expected to win the World Cup in Brazil?

No, not at all. We’re all really happy to be going there to represent the USA. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. Reaching the quarter-finals at the 2002 World Cup really got our fans fired up and of course everyone wants to experience something like that again.

What is it like working with Jurgen Klinsmann?

Fantastic. The way he’s boosted the national team with his ideas and his inspirational style is unbelievable. It’s great fun working with him and we can only benefit from his experience at the World Cup. We’ll need that too in our group with Germany, Ghana and Portugal.

You have suffered from Tourette’s Syndrome ever since you were a child. How does it manifest itself?

I twitch, sometimes in my arm or in my neck. It varies. But fortunately I don’t have verbal outbursts, as a lot of people with Tourette’s Syndrome do. Sometimes I get a cough, normally when I’m nervous. How does it affect your on-pitch performances? It doesn’t. When I’m focused and an opponent is approaching my goal then I don’t twitch at all. The doctors can’t explain why. It’s like my level of concentration is stronger than the Tourette’s is.

Is your medical condition an issue within your team?

Everyone knows about it but no-one’s got a problem with it, quite the opposite actually. We all laugh about it in the changing room when my arm flinches again.

Tim Howard was speaking to Alan Schweingruber

• 2 weeks later...

He played mid week for the us friendly. Most managers play the backup keeper for cup competitions to give them some game time and keep them fit. He won it last year so RM was confident he could put in a decent display this year. Now that RM has experienced a year without hardware at a club here it's been a while, I think next year in that game well see Howard. RM has a learning curve as well, since we are the biggest club he's ever been at.

He's agreed to do a documentary with ESPN.

The series will follow the coaches and players, including Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Tim Howard and Michael Bradley, as they endure a demanding preparation camp and play three international matches before their departure for Sao Paulo.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/03/espn-announces-new-series-inside-us-soccers-march-brazil-premiering-may-13/

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...