IGNORED

Lukaku & Naismith

MC11

I rate Naismith, he has got a footballers head on his shoulders. By that I mean he reads the game well, doesn't lose concentration and knows what is going on around him. Given time, he could strike up a very productive partnership with Lukaku. It doesn't matter which of them gets the goals as long as the ball goes in the net. The more Naismith plays, the more the fans will appreciate what he contributes.

I rate Naismith, he has got a footballers head on his shoulders. By that I mean he reads the game well, doesn't lose concentration and knows what is going on around him. Given time, he could strike up a very productive partnership with Lukaku. It doesn't matter which of them gets the goals as long as the ball goes in the net. The more Naismith plays, the more the fans will appreciate what he contributes.

Agreed. I bet the opinions of his team mates would be very surprising to his doubters.

I think that Nyarko is ultimately right.

Naismith has come in and done well but if he is going to be the future of EFC then we are fucked. I know people arent suggesting that as such but he should really be a squad player at best. I ike his movement, I like the way he finds himself in the right place at the right time and he is a reliable finisher but his touch can be hot and cold, he is slow, he isnt as effective in the air through the middle, he isnt a great passer of the ball and whilst I think he can see where the final ball will end up, I dont think he is that good at putting the earlier pieces of the jigsaw in place.

I think he is the perfect cover/bench player for us but lets not get carried away.

I think that Nyarko is ultimately right.

Naismith has come in and done well but if he is going to be the future of EFC then we are fucked. I know people arent suggesting that as such but he should really be a squad player at best. I ike his movement, I like the way he finds himself in the right place at the right time and he is a reliable finisher but his touch can be hot and cold, he is slow, he isnt as effective in the air through the middle, he isnt a great passer of the ball and whilst I think he can see where the final ball will end up, I dont think he is that good at putting the earlier pieces of the jigsaw in place.

I think he is the perfect cover/bench player for us but lets not get carried away.

Another bizarre post.

I agree with this, but with one important difference: He is improving! If his level remains at today's, then he's a stocking filler and not the main gift. But - and it's a big but - he is improving and has the potential to become an important player for the future. Let's not write him off just yet.

Nobody is even slightly suggesting he should be the future of the club or that he is anything but a decent squad player who can do a decent job when called upon.

Surely the whole point of the OP is that he should be starting alongside Lukaku?

I did also mention this in the very next sentence of my post.

Surely the whole point of the OP is that he should be starting alongside Lukaku?

I did also mention this in the very next sentence of my post.

At the moment I think he should. Barkley has been terrible and Naismith has given a lot in the last few games he deserves to play IMO

Its been said about Naismith (On here) that he's the type of player we should be having in the squad if we want to progress, my point was, if we want to progress he is IMO one of the players who needs to go (eventually) he is a passenger, along with a few others, Osman (Unless he somehow rediscovers his form from last season that got him an England call up) Hibbert, Vellios all these players need to be replaced with better quality, which I think they will be eventually once Roberto gets a few transfer markets under his belt, along with a couple of the youth players hopefully developing.

Its been said about Naismith (On here) that he's the type of player we should be having in the squad if we want to progress, my point was, if we want to progress he is IMO one of the players who needs to go (eventually) he is a passenger, along with a few others, Osman (Unless he somehow rediscovers his form from last season that got him an England call up) Hibbert, Vellios all these players need to be replaced with better quality, which I think they will be eventually once Roberto gets a few transfer markets under his belt, along with a couple of the youth players hopefully developing.

Ji sung park was a good squad member of a trophy winning United side. So why does naismith need to go for us to progress.

Ji Sung Park was a very good player, he would be a key member for us if he was at the same level as when he played for Utd and even he was left out of the Champions League winning squad, and was eventually sold by Ferguson, no comparison.

Ji sung park was a very similar type of player to Naismith, utilised out of position to squeeze the opponents - not a technically brilliant player but did his job to 100% max and instruction. Next you will be saying Ji Sung Park was world class when in actual fact he was a great squad player. The same thing may well be said of Naismith

"When you look at Park you don’t see someone full of trickery and skills. Park exhibits simple classical football which is somewhat less exciting for most of the fans due to which he was a constant target of criticism in his early stage of United career"

"He is a hard worker who balances out the more creative players. He's not a top scorer but can fight for the team. Sir Alex needs a player like this."

You don't need to compare the players vs each other - but there is merit in the argument to suggest that these types of players balance a squad out.

Do you remember Alan Harper? As limited technically as he was, and certainly a player who wouldn't have started for most top teams he was an important squad player for us.

Ji sung park was a very similar type of player to Naismith, utilised out of position to squeeze the opponents - not a technically brilliant player but did his job to 100% max and instruction. Next you will be saying Ji Sung Park was world class when in actual fact he was a great squad player. The same thing may well be said of Naismith

"When you look at Park you don’t see someone full of trickery and skills. Park exhibits simple classical football which is somewhat less exciting for most of the fans due to which he was a constant target of criticism in his early stage of United career"

"He is a hard worker who balances out the more creative players. He's not a top scorer but can fight for the team. Sir Alex needs a player like this."

You don't need to compare the players vs each other - but there is merit in the argument to suggest that these types of players balance a squad out.

Do you remember Alan Harper? As limited technically as he was, and certainly a player who wouldn't have started for most top teams he was an important squad player for us.

I agree we need a Ji Sung Park type of player, someone who is very good at what he is told to do and what he actually does, Naismith is not that player though.

My argument is that Naismith is average at what he does, we don't want him there to run around pressing people and getting in the way, we want someone there who can score, set up play and link up with our wingers and midfielders. If we want to progress to being a consistent top 4/5 team, we need players who have more consistent quality than Naismith IMO.

I agree we need a Ji Sung Park type of player, someone who is very good at what he is told to do and what he actually does, Naismith is not that player though.

My argument is that Naismith is average at what he does, we don't want him there to run around pressing people and getting in the way, we want someone there who can score, set up play and link up with our wingers and midfielders. If we want to progress to being a consistent top 4/5 team, we need players who have more consistent quality than Naismith IMO.

Someone who is very good at what he is told to do and actually does it - you mean the likes of Kompany, Busquets, Gerrard etc etc...

You are basically saying we don't want Naismith, we need Suarez - so why are you now shifting the criteria to which he can be an asset, the same way that Park wasn't able to that level but yet be an important squad player for United?

Stop moving the goalposts. Without Naismith this season we would be a fair few points off and probably out of the cup - stop making assumptions that he isn't going to continue to get better as a squad member and just accept the fact he is proving many fans wrong.

I love your enthusiasm for him and I hope he proves me wrong, but, I still think he is an average player that we need to replace in time to become a better overall squad, I haven't moved any goalposts at all that has been my argument from the start up until now.

This argument has ran its course for now and we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure the Naismith issue will come up again before the end of the season.

You don't see his attributes. He's a natural one on one finisher.

Pretty much this - you can't teach that either. The type of quality usually comes at a premium - rush and lineker forged a career out of it. I'm not comparing him to them, more saying that its something that is vital to a team.

I wouldnt put Naismith on my teamsheet for any big games if everyone was fit (unlike Park) and tbh its an awful comparison.

Like I have said before Naismith is our Chicharito. He does what we need him to do but he cant be relied upon to take the club forward as our main striker.

Miguel, would you have Naismith as a straight replacement for Barkley/Osman as an advanced midfielder or have him alongside Lukaku?

I wouldnt put Naismith on my teamsheet for any big games if everyone was fit (unlike Park) and tbh its an awful comparison.

Like I have said before Naismith is our Chicharito. He does what we need him to do but he cant be relied upon to take the club forward as our main striker.

Miguel, would you have Naismith as a straight replacement for Barkley/Osman as an advanced midfielder or have him alongside Lukaku?

A fit and fully fledged Barkley would be my main choice hands down.

He's been very poor though.

I really rate Naismith now though I actually think he's a quality CF/Striker. Big man little man could open a few defences.

I wouldnt disagree that them two could work nicely together. I certainly think it has a bit more scope that the Mirallas/Lukaku partnership.

I would still start Osman behind the big man though and chuck Naismith into the game if we needed him later on.

Regarding Lukaku, there is a rumour that we have an agreement with Chelsea for purchase at the end of the loan deal depending on European Qualification, including the Europa. Even though is goal ratio hasn't been great even with injuries I would be over the moon if we got him, he is going to be an absolute beast of a striker in years and already out main goal threat.

I'd like to make Lukaku permanent but I'm not sure it will happen. I think Chelsea will sell at the right price but not sure what his thoughts are on joining us permanently. Especially if there is no CL football

Edited by MiguelCotto

I think he's a good player but I would never really feel comfortable with him here permanently. When ever we lose three in a row I could almost guarantee it would be another fellaini in the foreign press stating a desire to leave. Contract or not, he would be gone inside 12 months....you just can't build on that. Another year loan would be ideal though