IGNORED

Summer Transfer hopes and targets

Being a World Cup year and the affect that has on 'non-mainstream' players valuations when they play well during the tournament (Honda, Mandzukovic).

What type of players do you think Roberto will be looking at?

Experienced internationals, who are coming to the end of their respective club contracts.

Young fringe players who missed out on final squads with larger, successful nations (German, Spain).

Top players who's country aren't being represented at the WC this year.

Top performers for smaller nations, risk their valuations inflating.

Buy post tournament.

What do you think Bobby will do and where will he find the talent. Prem experience or foreign risk?

Aha. Is it another sell to buy summer do you think?

Apparently (and I say that loosley) there was money available in January :o

I'm still feeling yesterday so I'm probably being overly cynical today but there's more chance of the Conservatives winning the next election than us not having to sell to buy this summer.

To be totally honest if we threw every penny in transfer funds we have at strikers and filled the rest of the squad with free transfers and loans then I'd be happy.

If getting say Lescott, Colback, Barry and Ince in on frees (obviously there are other fees involved) meant we had a sizeable pot to buy at least 2 strikers then I'd be delighted.

I agree on Ben Arfa not that we are not good enough for him I can see him going to a CL side I dare say He's the type of player the shite are crying out for.

Holtby would be a target for me just the type of player we need and has the added bonus of being a blue, not keen on Delph just not good enough for me maybe a good squad player but I think we missed a trick with Redmond who's a better player in my eyes.

Watched some MLS which is a rarity as a mates brother plays for Salk Lake "Luke Mulholland" and they had one or two wide men that looked very good albeit a lower standard of football but still looked decent there's plenty of league's to be looked at for potential talent.

My hopes are for depth for Europa league. Some of these could be youngsters. If we sign Barry we still need a striker, centre mid, centre back, right back, attacking midfielder, and a winger. That's if kone, gibson, and Oviedo all make it back. I'm factoring in that this is hibbert's last year and that osman won't see te first team very much next year as well.

To be totally honest if we threw every penny in transfer funds we have at strikers and filled the rest of the squad with free transfers and loans then I'd be happy.

If getting say Lescott, Colback, Barry and Ince in on frees (obviously there are other fees involved) meant we had a sizeable pot to buy at least 2 strikers then I'd be delighted.

I'm all in with you on that!

If we have £20m to spend and bring in Lukaku, Lescott, Colback, Barry and Ince, maybe Gerry on loan for another year, I would be very confident going into next season.

Martinez has already said that if we manage to cling on to a European slot then we need to go for experienced players that can come into the side staright away in order to cope with the extra demands. as opposed to buying youngsters who could develop in the future

Agreed. By youngsters I meant the lads In our reserve and u 21 squad.

Martinez has already said that if we manage to cling on to a European slot then we need to go for experienced players that can come into the side staright away in order to cope with the extra demands. as opposed to buying youngsters who could develop in the future

Would Europa be a good idea then? It seems as though it would forge our strategy of the next season or couple of seasons where we go for more established players rather than picking up the youngsters and developing the team as a whole.

The one thing I am really excited about is that we don't have to sell anyone to bring people in. We have all the Fellaini, jelavic, anichebe money so we don't have to wait till the last day of the window. I hope we finish out business before training starts so the whole team is able to play the first match.

I can see you being very disappointed and confused when we have to sell to buy.

What is it that's making you feel like this will happen Mark?

With the extra tv money now we shouldn't have to do this, the costs haven't increased by anything so major to make that happen.

Last year we had to sell Fellaini to bring in McCarthy, but we had already spent money bringing in Kone and Robles. So if we had a transfer kitty of say £6m last year, plus loan fees, what makes you think we wouldn't have £6m again?

From the Fellaini money we only spent about half of it on McCarthy and McGeady so far, plus the Jelavic money we should have over £10m left.

If we didn't have £10m left to spend on players from Fellaini and the TV money I'd expect uproar.

That was a negotiating tactic! Man I appreciate where you're coming from but not everyone shares your cynicism.

Negotiating tactic? How so? We paid more than we were wanting to...

We didn't have the money Wigan wanted until Fellaini went, that's why it wasn't until late that we signed him. If you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.

I appreciate you haven't been following Everton all that long so you haven't repeatedly seen this sort of thing, so I'll just have to let you off until you learn ;).

When it comes to transfer funds this club has more than earned a high level of distrust.

We didn't have the money Wigan wanted until Fellaini went, that's why it wasn't until late that we signed him. If you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.

I appreciate you haven't been following Everton all that long so you haven't repeatedly seen this sort of thing, so I'll just have to let you off until you learn ;).

When it comes to transfer funds this club has more than earned a high level of distrust.

I think you're right that if the Fellaini deal had fallen through then we wouldn't have been able to sign McCarthy, the money wouldn't have been there. But in terms of the McCarthy fee I don't think we would have got him any cheaper even if it had been done early in the close season, Whelan a shrewd businessman for sure. Look at the fees he got for N'Zogbia and Palacios for example.

I think you're right that if the Fellaini deal had fallen through then we wouldn't have been able to sign McCarthy, the money wouldn't have been there. But in terms of the McCarthy fee I don't think we would have got him any cheaper even if it had been done early in the close season, Whelan a shrewd businessman for sure. Look at the fees he got for N'Zogbia and Palacios for example.

Neither do I but Mark seemed to be suggesting we left it late so we could get a better deal and that didn't happen. We paid more than we originally bid and had to pay more than we wanted to upfront as well.

Neither do I but Mark seemed to be suggesting we left it late so we could get a better deal and that didn't happen. We paid more than we originally bid and had to pay more than we wanted to upfront as well.

He was suggesting that we bluffed United that we had money for McCarthy without having to sell Fellaini.

He was suggesting that we bluffed United that we had money for McCarthy without having to sell Fellaini.

Moyes had managed us for 11 years, I think he'd be well aware we didn't have two pennies to rub together! We just took advantage of his desperation to sign someone, anyone, in the end.

There is more pressure when put against a deadline than there would be if there is no deadline. By saying we had to wait, so did Wigan. They wanted to sell James, but instead of showing interest and them playing hardball for months on end and us showing our hand, instead you wait till the pressure mounts and then force a deal knowing the other party might cave to the pressure or just really need the deal done and therefore accept your demands. I work in sales, I know how a deal works. In your opinion the tactic didn't work to our benefit, that doesn't mean it stopped being a tactic!

Also I appreciate your talking down to me because I haven't been following the team for long. I am an American, I'm not from Liverpool, etc., but that doesn't make me any less a fan than you are. I take days off from work to watch the matches, I'm not just a casual observer.

Edited by markjazzbassist