IGNORED

Pre Season: SC Paderborn 07

MikeO

I know that there is virtually no correlation between preseason performance and regular season performance, but the fact that we have played so horribly does add to this bad feeling I have that our preseason has been a complete mess. From just playing the five games in the entire preseason, to a number of players missing time due to carrying knocks, to some of our most important players simply not having any preseason at all really. It's definitely got me worried. Schürrle played in the World Cup final and he's played for Chelsea in their preseason btw. Let's just hope that Martinez turns out to be smarter than everyone else and his ideas on condition turn out to be the right ones...

Edited by Steve_E

Guest rusty747

If we are to progress from last season we have to go to Leicester and expect to win. No dis respect to Leicester and I am not saying we should expect to win easily, but we should expect to win.

If we are to progress from last season we have to go to Leicester and expect to win. No dis respect to Leicester and I am not saying we should expect to win easily, but we should expect to win.

Of course you should expect to win and we will be up against it big time. It's quite nicely balanced at the moment though and I can't wait. I wouldn't read too much into pre season friendlies personally

Of course you should expect to win and we will be up against it big time. It's quite nicely balanced at the moment though and I can't wait. I wouldn't read too much into pre season friendlies personally

Luckily I never do. The better the pre-season the worse we perform in the season proper as a general rule. Hope Leicester do well though. With luck the experience of playing Everton will help you beat the reds by a hatful :)

Luckily I never do. The better the pre-season the worse we perform in the season proper as a general rule. Hope Leicester do well though. With luck the experience of playing Everton will help you beat the reds by a hatful :)

Haha thanks. I don't see us beating many teams by a hatful but I think we'll just about be alright in terms of staying up. Quietly confident we'll get at least a point next Saturday but that could just be blind optimism

If there is one thing to learn from being a leicester fan it's to not expect too much

I never watched it today (obviously) but by the sounds of it we were woeful again. I have to admit I'm worried.

We just seem really off the pace a lot of our players just seem sloppy and have no sharpness. Lukaku and Mirallas may not be ready for Saturday (wtf is all that about) Coleman wont be fit either.

No matter what spin you try and put on it , without lukaku and Mirallas there are no goals jn the side and we 've leaked really bad pre season. Hibbert is shite at right back we have no attacking threat down that side when he plays which sort of seems pointless considering the system we play. I fear Pienaar and Osman are at the stage of their careers where they are subs not starters and brought on for a bit of experience second half if needed, I'm not at all sure about Mcgeady (yet) and Barkeley has been really disjointed and looks way off the pace.

It all just seems sobsurreal and a right bollocks up like we 've got everything wrong. Players not fit, not sharp friendlies all over the place. Just wrong.

I hope I'm wrong like and I may be but I have to admit I'm worried.

Edited by Paddock

Guest rusty747

When we won the title in 84-85 I seem to recall the first game of the season was a 1-4 home defeat to Spurs. I think we have a bit of history as slow starters to try to overcome.

We might hit the ground running but nobody can say they are not concerned with this pre season. It's not just the fact we have lost, it's the apparent unreadiness of the team. The disjointed passing sloppy play nobody looks fit and our key players have not kicked a ball . Wtf is all that about.

It's been a very very strange pre season like everything's been put on hold while Martinez went the world cup.

We havent played anywhere near what you might call the 1st eleven, in any of the friendlies, I know people are saying its those others who did play, dont look as though they know what their doing. :dont know:

Everybody in the team has a specific role, and it wont work if several pieces are missing. The team is like a jigsaw, It looks a lot better when all the pieces are put in.

Edited by Bill

We havent played anywhere near what you might call the 1st eleven, in any of the friendlies, I know people are saying its those others who did play, dont look as though they know what their doing. :dont know:

Everybody in the team has a specific role, and it wont work if several pieces are missing. The team is like a jigsaw, It looks a lot better when all the pieces are put in.

again, 8 of our starting 11 played yesterday, so its pretty close.

Regardless my concern was the inability to complete simple passes, mark players properly, which isnt part of a jigsaw, its basic football and all about mentality. Hopefully someone will light a fire under their backsides or it was a lame performance in the hopes of remaining fit for next weekend.

again, 8 of our starting 11 played yesterday, so its pretty close.

Regardless my concern was the inability to complete simple passes, mark players properly, which isnt part of a jigsaw, its basic football and all about mentality. Hopefully someone will light a fire under their backsides or it was a lame performance in the hopes of remaining fit for next weekend.

Again, it was not eleven. have a go when we perform like that in a competitive match with a full fit team.

Again, it was not eleven. have a go when we perform like that in a competitive match with a full fit team.

im "having a go" because the performance was shite. I know the others will come back and make us stronger, but they won't make Barry not dick around on the edge of the box, make anyone of them actually complete a pass unless they're telepathic.

If we are going to rotate, which will happen, we need to be able to do the basics correctly. I know it wasn't competitive but you should still want to win.

ive never mentioned relegation, brett im just being honest that we have been utter shite pre season.

ive never known us this bad, and for me the organisation is all wrong and I just dont understand it.

Agree from a results perspective, its the manner of the losses this preseason that have been the reason of concern.

It all just seems sobsurreal .......

If this word -- a perfect description of our preseason -- is a witting invention, it's way beyond witty. If unwitting, it's still brilliant, worthy of inclusion in all future dictionaries of footy-slang.

Sobbing at really, even surreally, awful play is something with which all fans can identify.

If this word -- a perfect description of our preseason -- is a witting invention, it's way beyond witty. If unwitting, it's still brilliant, worthy of inclusion in all future dictionaries of footy-slang.

Sobbing at really, even surreally, awful play is something with which all fans can identify.

I could claim credit by saying I meant it but I would be a serious knob head to try and attempt it. I meant so surreal but sobsurreal is goid as well ;)

im "having a go" because the performance was shite. I know the others will come back and make us stronger, but they won't make Barry not dick around on the edge of the box, make anyone of them actually complete a pass unless they're telepathic.

If we are going to rotate, which will happen, we need to be able to do the basics correctly. I know it wasn't competitive but you should still want to win.

When has Barry ever done that for us in a proper game? At the end of the day none of us know what Bobby is saying to the squad. The man is meticulous and knows what every player needs. He knows its going to be a long season so he might be telling players to take it easy knowing that it means fuck all come the big kicCome k off. He is playing the kids which gives them a boost thinking they might be getting some game time. Bobby knows more than anyone what those points cost us at the start of the season so I cant see him not starting with Rom up front

Edited by Tricky Trev

When has Barry ever done that for us in a proper game? At the end of the day none of us know what Bobby is saying to the squad. The man is meticulous and knows what every player needs. He knows its going to be a long season so he might be telling players to take it easy knowing that it means fuck all come the big kicCome k off. He is playing the kids which gives them a boost thinking they might be getting some game time. Bobby knows more than anyone what those points cost us at the start of the season so I cant see him not starting with Rom up front

He might even have given Barry specific instructions to dick about on the edge of the area whenever possible to see how the defence copes :P.

Could happen :unsure:.

I never watched it today (obviously) but by the sounds of it we were woeful again. I have to admit I'm worried.

We just seem really off the pace a lot of our players just seem sloppy and have no sharpness. Lukaku and Mirallas may not be ready for Saturday (wtf is all that about) Coleman wont be fit either.

No matter what spin you try and put on it , without lukaku and Mirallas there are no goals jn the side and we 've leaked really bad pre season. Hibbert is shite at right back we have no attacking threat down that side when he plays which sort of seems pointless considering the system we play. I fear Pienaar and Osman are at the stage of their careers where they are subs not starters and brought on for a bit of experience second half if needed, I'm not at all sure about Mcgeady (yet) and Barkeley has been really disjointed and looks way off the pace.

It all just seems sobsurreal and a right bollocks up like we 've got everything wrong. Players not fit, not sharp friendlies all over the place. Just wrong.

I hope I'm wrong like and I may be but I have to admit I'm worried.

For the record, Juande Ramos's Tottenham won all their pre-season friendlies displaying an awesome brand of football, beating powerful teams like AS Roma 5-0.

I feel there are some points to consider when evaluating the performance of the team:

- Everton are slow starters, last year the first two games were two draws against poor teams. This proved costly, I have to admit.

- This team is much better when all the starters play together. It's not only a matter of raw talent, it's a functioning unit in the purest definition of a team: its addition is much more than the sum of its individual pieces. Last season the team suffered when Martinez tried to rotate. I even recall the game against Crystal Palace when McCarthy did not play, it was Barkley in his CM place and Ossie as AMC and the team looked clueless for a huge chunk of the game.

- No competitive spirit. This team is only good when competing, players like Barry, Baines, etc. are not fancy or skillful, they're good when competing at the highest level. If they are not giving their 100%, they are quite poor, as their main abilities (timing, tactical awareness, teamwork) are only at display when the game is competitive. This is not a team of Cristiano Ronaldo's or Messis that can score for fun with fancy tricks.

Although we would all be happier with 5-0 wins over all our opponents, I'm only expecting a narrow win against Leicester and only because they will feel the pressure of the PL return. The team is at the moment far from ready, but it's August and the season lasts until May. I'd rather see them clicking and firing all cylinders more or less after Christmas.

For the record, Juande Ramos's Tottenham won all their pre-season friendlies displaying an awesome brand of football, beating powerful teams like AS Roma 5-0.

I feel there are some points to consider when evaluating the performance of the team:

- Everton are slow starters, last year the first two games were two draws against poor teams. This proved costly, I have to admit.

- This team is much better when all the starters play together. It's not only a matter of raw talent, it's a functioning unit in the purest definition of a team: its addition is much more than the sum of its individual pieces. Last season the team suffered when Martinez tried to rotate. I even recall the game against Crystal Palace when McCarthy did not play, it was Barkley in his CM place and Ossie as AMC and the team looked clueless for a huge chunk of the game.

- No competitive spirit. This team is only good when competing, players like Barry, Baines, etc. are not fancy or skillful, they're good when competing at the highest level. If they are not giving their 100%, they are quite poor, as their main abilities (timing, tactical awareness, teamwork) are only at display when the game is competitive. This is not a team of Cristiano Ronaldo's or Messis that can score for fun with fancy tricks.

Although we would all be happier with 5-0 wins over all our opponents, I'm only expecting a narrow win against Leicester and only because they will feel the pressure of the PL return. The team is at the moment far from ready, but it's August and the season lasts until May. I'd rather see them clicking and firing all cylinders more or less after Christmas.

It's the first time since 79/80 that we haven't won a game in pre season. It's not really the defeats that worry me, I'm not particularly arsed about pre season games. I'd like us to win them obviously but if we don't I don't get upset or disappointed like I do in a competitive game it's the way we have been playing. Mate we've been awful, there's virtually no positives to take. We 're glaringly short at right back on the wings we need a back up attacking mid and a good back up striker. If Lukaku gets injured we're fucked it's as simple as that because there's no goals in any of those sides we've put out pre season.

It's the first time since 79/80 that we haven't won a game in pre season. It's not really the defeats that worry me, I'm not particularly arsed about pre season games. I'd like us to win them obviously but if we don't I don't get upset or disappointed like I do in a competitive game it's the way we have been playing. Mate we've been awful, there's virtually no positives to take. We 're glaringly short at right back on the wings we need a back up attacking mid and a good back up striker. If Lukaku gets injured we're fucked it's as simple as that because there's no goals in any of those sides we've put out pre season.

While I would agree with the lack of goals, I feel if the game was competitive and Coleman could not start it would be Stones playing RB (like he did last season). Let's see if Koné can get into the side and if Naismith can find his goalscoring touch. I feel we are still lacking the loan signings, which probably will be done after the first couple of games once Roberto identifies what we all have already seen.

I think Koné can be useful as a right winger that drifts inside, but he needs to get properly healthy. At this recovery rate... anyway I would love to get a tricky Deulofeu, he might have been frustrating sometimes but he always tried, he was never shy and he could get goals and generate things. So far McGeady, a much more complete player, is not delivering what I would expect from him.