IGNORED

Official Knee Jerk thread 14/15

MC11

Like I say, agree to disagree. Yes, we change formation when defending, but that is not how we setup, which was my point. We set up as usual 4231 and adapt to the demands of the game, using the 433 as you mentioned, as required. Yesterday was the first time we setup 433 to begin with.

And there is the difference to last season. We wernt adapting to a 4-3-3 last season. We were adapting to 4-4-1-1 from 4-2-3-1 the wide players dropping back

Arsenal was definitely 3 forwards mate. Lukaku Started on the right.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Guys, formations are situational in the modern game.

You can't look at each incident and use to prove a theory...only the manager can do that as he sets it. All we can do is speculate.

At it's basic we seem to set up as a 4.2.3.1

When we have the ball we revert to a 4.3.3 with the wide players pushing high and the hole player having a free role.

When we don't have the ball we revert to a 4.5.1 with the wide players coming into midfield to help out.

Www.statsbomb.com it is!!!

You can see each players 'average' position minute by minute. And how involved they are during that minute.

If you can be bothered to watch a few games, you'll see how versatile we have been. Honestly, you can't really say it's been 4-3-3 all the time, you also can't say it's been 4-2-3-1 all the time. Maybe that's part of the problem...its become too complicated and the Liverpool game was a return to basics.

Guys, formations are situational in the modern game. You can't look at each incident and use to prove a theory...only the manager can do that as he sets it. All we can do is speculate. At it's basic we seem to set up as a 4.2.3.1When we have the ball we revert to a 4.3.3 with the wide players pushing high and the hole player having a free role. When we don't have the ball we revert to a 4.5.1 with the wide players coming into midfield to help out.

That's not the case this season. That's my whole point. The wide players aren't dropping back in.

That's not the case this season. That's my whole point. The wide players aren't dropping back in.

I do get your point MC but it's more the players being lazy than the set up.

For every clip you could bring up of them not tracking back there another of them tracking back.

Again just my observation as I don't Know what the manager is instructing then to do.

We have gotten United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenalout of the way.

We have an international break which might allow some injured played back.

When we do play, we look fantastic

Brilliant and we've taken a massive 2 points from the 15. Absolutely amazing stuff. Let's all do the positive dance!

In fact we ain't even played City!! 2 points from 12 - let's get naked

Edited by MiguelCotto

Brilliant and we've taken a massive 2 points from the 15. Absolutely amazing stuff. Let's all do the positive dance!

In fact we ain't even played City!! 2 points from 12 - let's get naked

Did you quote me in the positivity thread to your doom-n-gloom thread just to moan as well as completely miss the point?! :lol:

My bad on including City, should've checked.

What was the point? Because we're down in each of those games from last season apart from the Analfied derby :(.

That we've played some of our hardest games whilst playing in Europe for the first time in years. Between now and the new year we only have 1 of last years top 5.

That we've played some of our hardest games whilst playing in Europe for the first time in years. Between now and the new year we only have 1 of last years top 5.

It's also shit all over our confidence playing them all now because we've only took a solitary point from those games. You don't want to get into a rut.

The only thing that could help with that now is the international break. It'll hopefully give us a couple of players back, and another couple closer to being back to full fitness.

In my opinion, these are the reasons why the team is 17th at the moment:

- Awful preseason (yep, we all saw it coming), which may be the reason of...

1- The loss of form of the pair Jagielka - Distin.

2- Central midfield pair is not on the best form: the pairing Barry - McCarthy was excellent last year. However Barry is either getting old too soon or not in the best form at the moment. McCarthy was incredible last year, adding consistency, fluidity to the team and pressing the opponent midfielders like there's no tomorrow. This year he's allowing more space to the opposition, that allows them to think and execute.

3- Bad start of the season (one more win and we would not be discussing this, the team would be mid table)

There are other factors related to the summer transfers and the squad:

- Lack of depth in attacking midfield positions: last year the team had a fully healthy Pienaar, an energetic loanee in Deulofeu, Mirallas and McGeady, plus Osman being used in the left. I did not count Oviedo because he is a left back and he only played two games as a winger before his injury. This year Pienaar has been injured, Deulofeu is not here and Atsu does not bring the same abilities the Barça played had, Mirallas is currently injured but he's been part of most of the start and McGeady is not doing anything particularly impressive. Osman's legs are gone, unfortunately. Why Eto'o or Koné do not feature more on the wing is something to ask Martinez.

- Lukaku lacks hunger: I would not know how to describe it better. The man does not fight like each game can be his last game in football, it's not that he looks disinterested, but he is not dominant and he was brought to be dominant.

- Barkley and Coleman got injured (both key men).

- Tim Howard's disastrous start of the season.

- Difficult games played so far (Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal). The loss against Palace hurts.

- Extra games in Europa League for a small squad (yes, there are 25 professional footballers in there, but they do not possess the same ability).

There have been also some positive points:

- John Stones playing like a full England international should play.

- Right backs: Tyias Browning looks ready for the first team. Tony Hibbert is a professional footballer -somehow I had forgotten that-, he is ready to contribute and although he has never been a world beater, now he is needed.

- Besic looks like, after some time to bed in, he can be useful.

- Eto'o always scores goals when given time.

All in all, I have the feeling that unless the team has a massive drop of confidence and starts playing nervously, it should get on a winning run and improve its fortunes. Tim Howard can't drop clangers every two games, Lukaku will score even by accident, Baines will link up well with Pienaar again and McCarthy will get back to full fitness. Barkley, with all his flaws and mistakes, is a player that can win a game in a single moment, and he is missed at the moment.

For the record, a team that is now playing Champions League football in the Spanish Primera Liga is in relegation positions, with (almost) the same squad and with defensive problems and confidence issues (Athletic Bilbao).

Football never stops surprising me, how things can change so much in one summer!

Edited by Kant