IGNORED

Official Knee Jerk thread 14/15

MC11

Myquestion is: if you could replace one player in the squad( who is generally in the starting 11), who would it be?

I'm going with Distin. I still think he has something to offer, but given his age and lackluster form, I think it's time we replace him in January.

Jags will be a reliable backup for Stones before the end of the season is over.

So are we talking about our own reactions or talking about others (eg people mentioning the "r" word needing head/wobble time)?

Personally I'm calm, my knees rarely jerk, we've played some astonishingly good football at times and "just" need to eradicate the daft stuff. We have the players and the manager to do it for me, good place to kick off the season would be Anfield. Bring it on.

My knee jerk reaction is that we are going to do fine.

We will get all this daft shit out of our season early on and then go on an almighty run. Clean sheets galore. Goals galore. We are going to be a unit.

Dunno what's happening just now, but a team doesn't turn to shit just like that. It does however go through rough patches. Every team, every season.

For me there have been two stand out changes. Distin and Osman.

Two players I've never really got on their case, but over the summer Distin seems to have added a few mistakes to his game, lost a bit of composure too. Osman always had quick feet and a quick brain, but right now one of the two is letting the other down and it's killed his game for me.

Time for Roberto to be ruthless IMO.

Last season, Barkley and Stones went from being squad fillers to regular starters and full England internationals. It would be nice to see Garbutt and Browning, for example, do the same this time around. At the start of last season, we had quite an aging squad. Really, it's no surprise that remaining players in their 30s are beginning to reach the twilight of their careers. So far, the transition has gone smoothly for Everton. Just look at the turmoil at some other clubs, even big money clubs.

Don't think we have too much to worry about at the moment. We started the game pretty well and fell away.

There have been a lot of individual errors that if we can cut out will save us 50% of our leaked goals... Then suddenly we look good.

We're still managing to score goals too.

Except for last night :D

For me there have been two stand out changes. Distin and Osman.

Two players I've never really got on their case, but over the summer Distin seems to have added a few mistakes to his game, lost a bit of composure too. Osman always had quick feet and a quick brain, but right now one of the two is letting the other down and it's killed his game for me.

Time for Roberto to be ruthless IMO.

I'd say Osman has cost us points in at least 2 games this season. Against Arsenal he ran out of steam by 70mins. Bobby didn't change him.

Against palace in the second half he was a passenger and lost the ball for the 3rd

Edited by MiguelCotto

I'll go out on a limb and say Martinez will have us a bottom half side before everyone stops kissing his arse.

His subs are shocking and I mean shocking and he just abandons any shape or formation we have when chasing a game. When we're winning he has no idea how to close a game out and encourages the players to stay forward without any regard to protecting what we have. It's one thing shutting up shop and another having blatant disregard to protecting a lead it's just polar opposites with him.

It's hardly any wonder the players are making mistakes, he's got them playing ticky tacka or whatever the fuck its called across the back and the players arn't good enough on the ball to play it and they're terrified.

Added to this, everything is positive. We get twatted but we were positive in doing it, Hibbert gets himself a new arsehole ripped and he looked sharp!! Do me a fucking favour.

Martinez is at fault for all of it. It's his style of play, his formations his subs his tactics his not having a bad word to say no matter how poor we were.

Martinez will be gone this time next year.

Hows that for knee jerk (although I've thought it for a lot of last season) I've seen this coming from day 1.

I'll go out on a limb and say Martinez will have us a bottom half side before everyone stops kissing his arse.

His subs are shocking and I mean shocking and he just abandons any shape or formation we have when chasing a game. When we're winning he has no idea how to close a game out and encourages the players to stay forward without any regard to protecting what we have. It's one thing shutting up shop and another having blatant disregard to protecting a lead it's just polar opposites with him.

It's hardly any wonder the players are making mistakes, he's got them playing ticky tacka or whatever the fuck its called across the back and the players arn't good enough on the ball to play it and they're terrified.

Added to this, everything is positive. We get twatted but we were positive in doing it, Hibbert gets himself a new arsehole ripped and he looked sharp!! Do me a fucking favour.

Martinez is at fault for all of it. It's his style of play, his formations his subs his tactics his not having a bad word to say no matter how poor we were.

Martinez will be gone this time next year.

Hows that for knee jerk (although I've thought it for a lot of last season) I've seen this coming from day 1.

Won't go that far, but I am thinking 2nd season blues has really kicked in. Happened to Moyes too, 2nd full season was shocking. We need to stick with Martinez but its not going to be easy; he is becoming even more frustrating than Moyes ever was...

You strike me as emotional bloke Paddock!

You would think the manager that got our highest EVER points total in the PL last season would have more than half a dozen games to turn it around before being written off.

I'd we win the Derby at the weekend everyone will be back to licking his arse again.

You strike me as emotional bloke Paddock!

You would think the manager that got our highest EVER points total in the PL last season would have more than half a dozen games to turn it around before being written off.

I'd we win the Derby at the weekend everyone will be back to licking his arse again.

When it comes to Everton and my family then yes I am emotional, everything else just passes me by tbh.

If you go back and read my comments I've always been wary of Martinez and always stated so. He got lucky last season Bailey and this seasin is already compounding my fears. It'll take more than a win at Anfield to convert me mate it really will.

Wow at some of the comments on here.

Paddock.... Need to have a lye down in a dark room mate

BB, I've said it about him all last season. There's no denying he done well last season but I've also stated my reasons I think that happened. I'm not gonna bang on and on about it like a stuck record, I wont mention it again but in 18 months I'm going to bump that post above and you'll see I was right.

He's got a philosophy and he wont budge an inch on it and that stubbornness and total disregard for other aspects of a game will be his and our downfall trust me.

It's a tough one with Martinez for me. I love his attacking mentality but you need to be solid at the back as well and I just don't think that's in his mentality.

I've raised the issue about his positivity on here for months. He is far too relaxed in front of the cameras when things aren't going well. There is no emotion at all! If this is how he is on the training pitch and in the dressing room the players are going to see him as a friend rather than a leader and a step will become a yard.

BB, I've said it about him all last season. There's no denying he done well last season but I've also stated my reasons I think that happened. I'm not gonna bang on and on about it like a stuck record, I wont mention it again but in 18 months I'm going to bump that post above and you'll see I was right.

He's got a philosophy and he wont budge an inch on it and that stubbornness and total disregard for other aspects of a game will be his and our downfall trust me.

Sounds familiar ;)

His positivity is great when things are going well. When things aren't going well its highly irritating and i'm a big fan of his.

I hope he seriously has a word with himself:-

for me a few concerns....

£28m on Lukaku... did he even have any others in mind? A huge outlay on a player who really isn't fit for our style as it stands.

Defence.... as in what defence

Pre season - compete shambles

Guest rusty747

What concerns me most is the character within whichever eleven is on the pitch when things go against us. Already, far too many times this season I have seen us start a game well, be looking threatening up front, tight at the back, fluid in midfield, then, usually around the 20-30 minute mark someone has a brain-fart and we go 0-1 down against the run of play. A team that has character, believes in itself, each other and its playing philosophy merely shrugs it off, gets their head down and runs out 3-1 or 4-1 winners. We collapse like a ton of bricks and any belief that was there seems to instantly disappear. Worse, we then seem to carry the mental scars over to the next game and are unable to play out from the back, lose all fluidity in midfield and pose no threat whatsoever up front.

Fitness issues caused by a poorly organised pre season might have played a small part but for me the biggest problem is inside the players heads. They are being talked about publicly by RM as if they are world beaters but they know they are not. The disconnect is, in my opinion, causing major problems with inner belief in almost all of our players and its not something that anyone other than RM can fix - and he shows no signs of even addressing the problem.

We will finish bottom half, go out of FA Cup and Europa League at the earliest stages and have nothing to play for by January (apart from a relegation scrap) unless RM changes his approach, looks in the mirror and realises that the Emperor is not wearing any clothes!